Game of Thrones - Official Thread (no book spoilers)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2010   #1
Game of Thrones - Official Thread (no book spoilers)

Winter is Coming!...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LW...player_embedded
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11 November 2010   #2
This trailer was sweet I'm really looking forward for this show, thanks for the link.

Old 11 November 2010   #3
I can't shake away the feeling of cardboard backdrops and a bunch of extras.

Where are the lucid, epic, majestic kingdoms?

What's up with the Dothraki being such pretty boys, eh?

Anyway, hard not to be prejudice against it since I love the books. Atleast the casting is top notch.

Last edited by CGmonkey : 11 November 2010 at 08:11 PM.

Old 11 November 2010   #4
Thanks for the link! Really hoping this lives up to the quality of the books, I'm curious about how the dire wolves will look

Old 11 November 2010   #5
Love the fact that they are keeping George RR Martin close to the production. He wouldn't let them steer the story away from the book. I am very excited for this series. The book was a great read, I am interested to see the world they paint, and see how it differs from the one I painted with my imagination.

Old 11 November 2010   #6
Originally Posted by burgess3D: Thanks for the link! Really hoping this lives up to the quality of the books, I'm curious about how the dire wolves will look

yep me too, very curious

Old 11 November 2010   #7
Definitely looking forward to this. I had no idea what it was and I kept seeing teasers for it between Boardwalk Empire episodes and it really grabbed my attention.
I picked up the first book and I'm hoping to get through a couple of the novels before the series starts!

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 12 December 2010   #8
GRRM is bar none the best currently living fantasy author and the series is incredible. I have mixed feelings about this production though. It's a good topic, and HBO has awesome production capability, but if they make this look like Rome I'll be disappointed.

A bigger issue is that all these distractions are preventing GRRM from finishing the books. At this stage I've become resigned to the idea that he'll die before he finishes the series and unlike Robert Jordan's books there won't be anyone capable of finishing this series out.

Old 12 December 2010   #9
http://io9.com/5706774/10-minute-fe...game-of-thrones
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2010   #10
Im reading Wheel of Time right now... is GoT should be my next series?

Im quite happy I started Wheel of Time... It's not Tolkien or Jack Vance but it kinda surpass Micheal Moorcock and Fritz Leiber stuff. I have to say I look forward to Game of Thrones if it's on the same level.

ps; Im a old school fantasy reader... It's pleasant to see that the genre is not finish!

Old 12 December 2010   #11
I'm not sure if I'd describe GoT as old school fantasy. The fantastical elements are generally in the background (at least in the early books), and the general feel is about as far from Tolkien as you can get.

It is, however, excellent. Far better than Wheel of Time in my opinion.

Old 12 December 2010   #12
I did not mean that I prefer "old school" fantasy, more that I dont know modern fantasy writers. However Im all for originality. Glad to ear you think GoT is better than WoT. I know what to read next!

Can't always read dostoyevsky hey!

Old 12 December 2010   #13
I'm just getting excited with every casting choice I see in this - can't wait to see what they've done

Old 12 December 2010   #14
Earwax69 > Game of Thrones is the first massive book in a series called "A Song of Ice and Fire".

I'm very impressed by the WOT series, Jordan's character development is unparalleled with anything else I've ever read. He's got secondary characters in his books that are far better developed than most main characters in other books. The series did drag out entirely too much though and I'm glad it's reaching it's conclusion finally.

About the Ice a Fire series, it is brutal fantasy, extremely well written (far better than any other fantasy I've read) and when I read those books they warped my world.

Beware of starting though, because it will most likely never be finished and will leave you with a very serious unsatisfied addiction. Good luck

Old 12 December 2010   #15
Ha damn... now my expectations are so high Im afraid to be disappointed!

I read WoT on my Iphone (with stanza app) right now... its cool because its like carrying all the series in my pocket but at the end of the day, my eyes hurt quite a bit. Im considering getting a Kindle just for this series.

Thread Closed share thread