THE WALKING DEAD thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11 November 2011   #46
Good show.. Seriously!?!

I'm sorry.. I seriously hope they start writing Zombie stories where the characters are actually human beings with some brains. I don't mean 'smart' characters. I mean having a brain PERIOD. Every normal person has a 10x better survival instinct then these bunch combined. Maybe writing something a bit more clever is just not possible with this genre and I should just accept it..

But OMG these characters are UNBELIEVABLE STUPID... If these characters are humanity's last chance, they might as well kill themselves now... All these character deserve whats coming to them.

- Riding on a hors into town.
- Lets camp out IN THE OPEN.
- PLENTY of cars on the highway to grab, yet you stick with your broken one.
- Lets debate which necklace to grab while zombies are at the front door.
- More emotional bs.

Are these characters ACTUALLY trying to survive?
I just wish they would write stories where an actual person would REALLY have a hard time getting out of. For me it's like, If at any point I think an 8 year old could have handled this better, you lost me already.

However... All that said.. I keep coming back every week to this show. Maybe hoping they will fix these issues... You have no idea how frustrated I get watching this show... Every week I walkaway thinking "I wasted an hour of my life again..."
__________________
" ..An optimist is a badly informed pessimist.. "
 
Old 11 November 2011   #47
I do agree with the stupidity of the characters. I have definitely felt the urge to scream at them at times during the show. The second season has started a bit slow, in my opinion, but I'm hoping that the end of episode 3 will signal the start of a ramp-up.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

Shane shooting the fat guy (forgot his name) at the end of the episode struck me as much better direction than the first two episodes, because there is a fairly wide array of possible motivations for the act. Ranging from pure survive-at-all-costs, mixed with possible vengeance for shooting the boy, to doing what had to be done to get the medication back to the farm house (if in fact there was no way for both of them to make it out alive - which is what it looked like - neither was in a condition to outrun/outlast the zombies without stalling them). On top of this, he's now living with the lie of what happened there. They kept his morality somewhat ambiguous, which is more interesting, and leaves more possibilities in the future.

Hopefully sets up future episodes to be more entertaining, as the lost girl arc wasn't very enthralling (call me heartless, but it's a zombie show... you can do better), and the boy getting shot actually would have been better I think if he died - leads to some interesting reactions from the main character and his wife, especially since the boy has barely added anything to the show so far...


I think the show has promise, but have definitely been frustrated that it's not quite there. Especially the season 1 finale was disappointing. It's certainly not outshining movies like 28 days later.
__________________
Portfolio Website: www.loreaxe.com
 
Old 11 November 2011   #48
Originally Posted by wolverine:
- Riding on a hors into town.
- Lets camp out IN THE OPEN.
- PLENTY of cars on the highway to grab, yet you stick with your broken one.
- Lets debate which necklace to grab while zombies are at the front door.
- More emotional bs.


Some of those points could be easily explained away.

- Riding a horse into town
His only available alternative was to go on foot.
The very first episode starts with him looking for gas for his cruiser, which he clearly couldnīt find.

- None of the cars in the highway appears to be a van (which IS fixed, itīs just that the old man wanted an excuse to keep the gang in that location, in case the little girl returns).
There are some conforts in a van that you simply do not have in a regular car, namely space, WC, room to transport your utilities and appliances, tools, water, etc, etc.
When it comes to moving confortably a big group of individuals over a great distance, a van is just MORE.
__________________
My Deviations
 
Old 11 November 2011   #49
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia: Some of those points could be easily explained away.

- Riding a horse into town
His only available alternative was to go on foot.
The very first episode starts with him looking for gas for his cruiser, which he clearly couldnīt find.

- None of the cars in the highway appears to be a van (which IS fixed, itīs just that the old man wanted an excuse to keep the gang in that location, in case the little girl returns).
There are some conforts in a van that you simply do not have in a regular car, namely space, WC, room to transport your utilities and appliances, tools, water, etc, etc.
When it comes to moving confortably a big group of individuals over a great distance, a van is just MORE.


Those are all 'comfort' excuses.... which have no place when you're trying to SURVIVE!!
__________________
" ..An optimist is a badly informed pessimist.. "
 
Old 11 November 2011   #50
Originally Posted by earwax69: Is it me or the sound post-prod in season 2 is quite bad? The ambiant noise floor is really high and suddenly vanish when someone speak and the actors are mumbling more than talking 50% of the time. I always have to raise and lower the volume between talking and loud action sounds.

Annoying.


I'm wondering about that too. It seems they slapped a compressor/limiter with extreme settings onto the entire audio track, so the ambient noises when there's no dialogue or sound effects are jacked way up, to the same volume as actual dialogue and sound effects. I've never heard such unprofessional sound production before in my life on high profile TV show. It must be unintentional?
 
Old 11 November 2011   #51
Originally Posted by wolverine: Those are all 'comfort' excuses.... which have no place when you're trying to SURVIVE!!


They arenīt unreasonable, though.

1.
He needed to go to Atlanta.
There was no gas.
There was a horse.
A horse is faster than a man and MUCH faster than a zombie.
Sounds reasonable/plausible.

2.
They have a very large group of people who literally lives in transit.
You can cram them all inside a car or inside a van.
A van can carry supplies, water, lots of fuel, water, guns, water, food, water, clothes, water, tools, water, lots of people and water.
A car can carry... what, 5 people and one in the trunk?
__________________
My Deviations
 
Old 11 November 2011   #52
The horse and the van totally make sens. What doesn't is that they never try to erect a barricade around their camp. Even setting a rope with a bell (or any metalic objects) could give them the alarm.

In the series, the walkers are runners. In the comic the zombies are slow. You just need to run to get out of trouble. In the series, they tail you! Scary shit!
__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish
 
Old 11 November 2011   #53
In history, there have been tons of examples of "could have, should have, but didn't." In hindsight, it's clear as day how these people throughout history screwed up royally, but to the people who were living it out, they couldn't see it because their minds were not operating under the same conditions as a guy sitting in a chair typing on a computer keyboard.

It's easy to see these things clearly as someone who is not traumatized, frightened, stressed out, in pain, hungry, thirsty, sleep-depraved, depressed, losing all hope, having seen the world fall apart at the seams and the gate to hell opening up...etc. It's also easy to say these things when we have books like The Zombie Survival Guide and lots of zombie movies/games/books to allow us to have become "zombie-savvy" in our culture. In the universe of the TV show, they probably aren't savvy at all about zombies--they never even make a single reference to the fact that zombies exist in their pop culture.

Security precautions make sense, but I'm assuming because they have people on watch 24/7, it's deemed a superior alternative. Remember earlier at the campground, they did have ropes and empty cans and they got overrun anyway.
 
Old 11 November 2011   #54
Originally Posted by earwax69: The horse and the van totally make sens. What doesn't is that they never try to erect a barricade around their camp. Even setting a rope with a bell (or any metalic objects) could give them the alarm.


Good point, first time I saw the camp, I facepalmed.

No fence, no sort of defense, just an old guy on top of his van looking.
I wouldnīt be able to sleep at night.
__________________
My Deviations
 
Old 11 November 2011   #55
Originally Posted by Lunatique: In history, there have been tons of examples of "could have, should have, but didn't." In hindsight, it's clear as day how these people throughout history screwed up royally, but to the people who were living it out, they couldn't see it because their minds were not operating under the same conditions as a guy sitting in a chair typing on a computer keyboard.

It's easy to see these things clearly as someone who is not traumatized, frightened, stressed out, in pain, hungry, thirsty, sleep-depraved, depressed, losing all hope, having seen the world fall apart at the seams and the gate to hell opening up...etc. It's also easy to say these things when we have books like The Zombie Survival Guide and lots of zombie movies/games/books to allow us to have become "zombie-savvy" in our culture. In the universe of the TV show, they probably aren't savvy at all about zombies--they never even make a single reference to the fact that zombies exist in their pop culture.

Security precautions make sense, but I'm assuming because they have people on watch 24/7, it's deemed a superior alternative. Remember earlier at the campground, they did have ropes and empty cans and they got overrun anyway.


Even guys sitting in a chair in front of the computer screw up.
This is me playing Left4Dead2 not so long ago:

"- Hmm, maybe I should have a melee weapon. Should I enter that room all by myself to go get it, when my team is rushing in the distance and risk getting pounced by an infected? Yes. Letīs! I have a fully loaded Uzzi, what could possibly go wrong in a versus match."
__________________
My Deviations
 
Old 12 December 2011   #56
Anyone watch "American Horror Story" here? just heard of it on IMDB walking dead board and wondering of it's worth a watch.

As for Walking Dead, last sunday episode was OK for me! I didnt expect the ending at all and was very please to see the end of one of the plot line.
__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish
 
Old 12 December 2011   #57
The way they have dragged out that story, it's like watching a soap opera!!... I still enjoy watching the show, it's well acted etc.. but it's nothing compared to the first, the characters are becoming more unlike-able by the episode, the hillbilly is now a big girls blouse, Shane is the only one who talks any sense!!.. and thank god this story can now move on, I wouldn't say it was worth the wait but it was unexpected
 
Old 12 December 2011   #58
Shane making sens? really? The farm is a nice spot to stay. Rick is right to do it the diplomatic way. Shane just went banana and forced his idea on everyone. But yeah, everyone is juggling the idiot ball. Shane would never had to shoot the fat guy if they did a simple diversion on the zombies that surrounded the building. (like throwing some rocks on a distant building... zombies follow sounds.)

now the farm is over. I dont remember how much time there was between the farm and the jail but I think its not much. It piss me off to know that we will get a full half season until they discover the jail in the last episode.
__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish
 
Old 12 December 2011   #59
In comparison to others yeh, Sophia was dead a long time ago, why go searching for her and risking your lives everyday, the others have been in denial for the last 5 episodes!!... sure he goes about it like a gorilla but he is the reason that Rick's kid is still alive, though he had to do something horrid... if he didn't then he, the fat guy and Rick's kid would be dead.. and he did have remorse for doing what he'd done.. not saying he's not 'bad' but he's the only one who thought 'heh maybe Sophia was torn apart by some zombies whilst being alone in the woods for the last frikkin week!!'

..and that last sentence of yours, kind of a spoiler.. I know nothing of the said place
 
Old 12 December 2011   #60
Shane is a soldier, not a leader. You go to him for advice, and even put his opinion above the others, but he will destroy any family group he leads. Even if the world starts to evolve into small militias, he will not rule. He will never be trusted. Without loyal followers, he will be killed in his sleep by the next thug that wants power.

I agree he may have done the right thing in shooting Otis, assuming they were both going to die anyway, and also the boy. I couldn't have done that myself, but I accept that the boy would have died if he didn't shoot Otis.

However, he did NOT have to point his rifle at his best friend. This wasn't a hard choice for survival, he was simply going to kill his BEST FRIEND, to get his family and power. He has great strength and instincts, but he is selfish and unstable. To make him the group leader is doing nothing more than becoming his slave to keep him, and him alone, alive. The instant you are a liability to that end, you are dead or left behind.

Saying he was right in forgetting about the girl is completely forgetting that he just killed a man to save the boy. He risked his own survival in carrying the heavy medical equipment which slowed him running from the zombies.

Surely he would have no trouble staying indefinitely, looking for the boy, if he was lost. He just didn't care about the girl, that was the only difference. Yet to stay for the boy and take the same risks looking for him, does not make him any different than Rick. Don't forget Rick had the balls to shoot the girl. He is not weak. He is just more reasonable. In the grand scheme of things, Shane is the weakest character.

Just my two cents,
Ohmanoggin
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright Đ2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.