THE WALKING DEAD thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2010
"Walking Dead" Numbers Rise

With its fifth episode, the AMC adaptation of Robert Kirkman and company's Image comic earns its highest ratings yet, bucking trends and possibly expectations to make "The Walking Dead" the hit of the year.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...rticle&id=29630

Rob note: I am willing to bet cash now that a Y The Last Man tv show will get a green light.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

11 November 2010
I haven't watched episode 5 yet, but after episode 4, I can safely say that this is now one of my favorite TV series, along with Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Interesting how they are all AMC shows--that's a real testament to the brilliance of their scripted TV programming.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
I never read the comic far enough to care about what happens, so I don't know what the story is with the wife, but in the TV series, her stepping out of line was justified because she was misinformed that her husband was dead as soon as the world went to hell, and it came from his best friend so of course she believed him. Also, she was completely pissed off as soon as she found out she was lied to, and she was very firm about Shane staying the hell away from her. She also was overjoyed that Rick is alive and is shown to be very loving towards him. I think the writers are very sympathetic towards her and I do not see her in a negative light at all. Perhaps because Shane was always a close family friend and she had to have been fond of him, so it was easy for her to become emotionally attached to him during all the chaos, and facing the reality that her son needs a father figure.

I'm just happy that we have ballsy, quality shows like this to enjoy. For all the mindless crap that many television executives put out there, shows like this really makes up for all that trash. Other on-going TV shows I love are The Office, Dexter, and my guilty pleasure, Entourage. It's really amazing the quality of TV shows has become in the last decade or so. Shows that have concluded that I loved were The Wire, Firefly, and Band of Brothers. There were other shows that had moments of brilliance, but dragged on, jumped the shark, or just became pointless. BSG, Heroes, and Prison Break falls into that category.

11 November 2010
Robert Mckee the screenwriting instructor said the best writers in Hollywood went to cable tv.

Havent really been interested in cable since the Sopranos ended. My favorite recent show for pushing boundaries and showing human nature in a light you dont normally see in a series-mixing comedy with tragedy and irony. Often funny and disturbing.
Only took me a couple of years to understand the final scene (after I read a shot by shot analysis).

I will probably catch Boardwalk Empire(?) later as I hear good things about it but wont subscribe to cable just to watch it. Will catch it on video like I am doing with Rome.

Not sure about zombies-guess I will wait until it has had a couple of seasons and see how its rated. If its just an extended version of your typical zombie movie with the usual characters (small towners to megalomaniac) dealing with it in a soap opera fashion I'm not really that interested unless they explore segments of society and locations not usually shown.

11 November 2010
To be fair, I like A LOT the fact that the segment of the population being explored is
blue collar types.

People can relate with these characters, instead of some rich jerk in LA (The movie Skyline had this problem bigtime)

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

11 November 2010
Agreed, this is must-see TV for me and the wife. Albeit, I was a little disappointed with the last episode (5th?). The pacing in the previous shows were great, but this episode, especially a couple of scenes, it really plodded along.

HelzerSketch Blog

12 December 2010
it´s a realy good show for sure.

12 December 2010
Just watched 1-2-3... It's nice until now. My one grip is why they have to add big assholes? rednecks and wife beaters... This is quite over the top for me. I guess they are just zombie meat but still, its a bit annoying for me and my wife. Except that, I really enjoy the show even if its a bit different from the comic.

12 December 2010
I just finished the last episode. I really enjoyed the series. I like that it deals more with relationships and problems of the characters, rather than just being another zombie body count.

I think it is a nice diversion to explore what would really happen if society collapsed. Certainly it would make sense that many different people would join forces to survive and many problems would crop up, such as racism, struggles for power, competing with other groups for weapons and even infidelity.

Ohmanoggin

12 December 2010
Originally Posted by earwax69: Just watched 1-2-3... It's nice until now. My one grip is why they have to add big assholes? rednecks and wife beaters... This is quite over the top for me. I guess they are just zombie meat but still, its a bit annoying for me and my wife.

Because despite the fact you probably try to avoid those people in real life, they do exist and will have a higher chance of survival. When society collapses, it is often the really selfish, violent, and callous A-holes that end up surviving, because they don't follow society's code of morals and does whatever they need to in order to survive. The nice folks will get tramped upon by them once the law stops protecting the helpless and the innocent.

And also because it creates drama and balances out the cast. You can't have just a bunch of nice folks at the end of the world--that's just not realistic.

Last edited by Lunatique : 12 December 2010 at 05:15 AM.

10 October 2011
I've just started the other Kirkman comic "Invincible". Im a bit baffled because the reviews were so high and I just cant find myself liking it. It's way more juvenile than Walking Dead and feel written for people with really short attention span.

Im at #19 now and will try to stick a bit more to see if it get better.

10 October 2011
Originally Posted by earwax69: Just watched 1-2-3... It's nice until now. My one grip is why they have to add big assholes? rednecks and wife beaters... This is quite over the top for me. I guess they are just zombie meat but still, its a bit annoying for me and my wife. Except that, I really enjoy the show even if its a bit different from the comic.

The red-neck assholes are great characters!.. do you really want them all to be like The Waltons!?... Personally I find assholes far more interesting than family men, The Wire and Breaking Bad have cast the biggest assholes around, though you cannot help but like them!... that is a rare quality, for me one of the differences that those two shows have over others, I like the bad and the good guys equally.

I think season 2 of The Walking Dead starts next week, a worthy replacement as Breaking Bad season 4 has now finished.

10 October 2011
Ho yeah... that was an old post. But I still stand by what I said. Just putting "bad guys" into the script to make more challenges for the good guys is rather simplistic. However you got a point saying the bad guys have more chances of survival and would consequently be more numerous.

I watched the whole series last year and obviously it has its flaws (last episode was really awful, all the writing staff got fired.) but overall it was a good show and I will gladly watch the next season.

Here Season 2 Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OZ0mu8Ey6A

11 November 2011
Is it me or the sound post-prod in season 2 is quite bad? The ambiant noise floor is really high and suddenly vanish when someone speak and the actors are mumbling more than talking 50% of the time. I always have to raise and lower the volume between talking and loud action sounds.

Annoying.

Also they took few pages of the comic and turn it into 3 full episodes... wow! (but its fine I guess, season 3 will obviously be the prison)

Shane is a major asshole!

11 November 2011
Agree. I'm following the series but I'm getting seriously bored. And that didn't happen when I was reading the comics.

11 November 2011
The motion comic linked to in the second post is very interesting.

Looks better than most, a very watchable animation style that allows to keep the original trace.

Love it!

Thread Closed share thread