THE WALKING DEAD thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2010   #1
THE WALKING DEAD thread

Walking Dead series by AMC is coming fast, how many of you guys (and girls) had the chance to work on it? Head exploding, limbs cutting, destroyed cities... there's obvioulsy gonna be a lots of matte painting.

Look nice overall. Andrea, Dale and Glenn are looking great. Not sure about Rick and Carl but it should be just fine.

This zombie strangely look like Kevin Bacon... maybe a cameo?

---Edit; someone put out the kevin bacon zombie!! moderator dont like kevin bacon zombies??

As for me, I care more about what will happen in the issue #76 than the hype surrounding the series but I am going to watch it none the less. Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The mist) watching over the series is clearly what will separate this from the mundane tv stuff.

Lets hope the series will be up to Kirkman comic.

Last edited by earwax69 : 07 July 2010 at 05:31 AM.

Old 07 July 2010   #2
Here is a teaser: http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...d-motion-comic/

An 8-minute motion comic, that's very well done (Juice Films).

As a zombie movie fanatic. I've never been into comics, but perhaps I should give this a try. I would have loved to work on something like this... can't wait to watch it.

Old 07 July 2010   #3
I highly recommand it. Im not a comics fan at all and I think of super heroes as rather grotesque, prefering by far european more realistic adult Bande Dessinée, but this one was just great. Its like carrying a really long zombie movie inside your pocket. By all account, its better than any zombie movies. Very deep characters too, really good writing. Its a bit slow to start but dont let that bother you, there's plenty of wicked stuff coming.

Last edited by earwax69 : 07 July 2010 at 03:34 AM.

Old 07 July 2010   #4
I tried to get into the comic once and couldn't. Something was just off about the combination of the comic book format and zombie fiction. I much prefer to read prose and watch movies instead for this particular genre.

Old 07 July 2010   #5
Okay, I just watched it, and that is not a motion comic--that is full-blown animation, except the drawing style looks like a comic book. I think this newly invented medium is so new that there really aren't any established parameters, and it's like the wild west where anything goes. I don't even know if this medium has any relevance or a future, since it usually is cheap animation, or comic book on steroids, and neither really offer anything of significance to warrant a whole new medium. For that reason, I hesitate to call the project I'm working on a motion comic or digital comic. I'm tentatively calling it "multimedia novel," but even that doesn't seem quite right.

Old 07 July 2010   #6
Cannot watch the movie outside of USA (or at least in my area)... I hate when they do this.

Old 07 July 2010   #7
4:32 Live action The Walking Dead teaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBiI6YRfWIY

Developed by Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile), The Walking Dead is an adaptation of the long-running Image Comics series by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard.

The drama, which follows a small group of survivors in the wake of a zombie apocalypse, stars stars Andrew Lincoln, Jon Bernthal, Sarah Wayne Callies, Jeffrey DeMunn, Laurie Holden, Steve Yeun, Emma Bell, Chandler Riggs, Michael Rooker and Norman Reedus. the network announced the additional members of the “survivor’s camp”: additional members of the “survivor’s camp”: Andrew Rothenberg as Jim; Juan Pareja as Morales; Iron E. Singleton as T-Dog; Jeryl Prescott Sales as Jacqui; Melissa McBride as Carol; and Adam Minarovich.

The Walking Dead debuts in October on AMC.

Slow moving zombies....second T.V season already green lit....i am in heaven

- Ty

Last edited by TyroneMaddams : 07 July 2010 at 07:53 AM.

Old 07 July 2010   #8
Between the Walking Dead, Invincible, Brit & Battle Pope my love for Robert Kirkman is worryingly unhealthy. I'm still having difficulty getting my head around Andrew Lincoln as Rick but I'm really looking forward to the series.

Old 07 July 2010   #9
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Okay, I just watched it, and that is not a motion comic--that is full-blown animation, except the drawing style looks like a comic book. I think this newly invented medium is so new that there really aren't any established parameters, and it's like the wild west where anything goes. I don't even know if this medium has any relevance or a future, since it usually is cheap animation, or comic book on steroids, and neither really offer anything of significance to warrant a whole new medium. For that reason, I hesitate to call the project I'm working on a motion comic or digital comic. I'm tentatively calling it "multimedia novel," but even that doesn't seem quite right.

If it utilizes original artwork and/or style and moves, it's a motion comic. It's just the comic in motion. The studio that I work at recently completed the Iron Man: Extremis motion comic. While we utilized all of the original artwork (which was amazing), we ended up having to do a lot of extra 3D work and additional vfx for certain shots. I think a lot of people consider this kind of work to be 'cheap' simply because it's still in the infantile stage. Lots of studios are feeling their way through the art form of converting 2D still imagery to 2D, or even 3D, motion. It still requires a lot of preparation and work.

As for relevance, just look at the numbers - It sells. And the market will determine it's future. I find a lot of CG-oriented people don't like it, but a lot of comic fans enjoy it.

Old 07 July 2010   #10
Originally Posted by Charkins: Here is a teaser: http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...d-motion-comic/

An 8-minute motion comic, that's very well done (Juice Films).

As a zombie movie fanatic. I've never been into comics, but perhaps I should give this a try. I would have loved to work on something like this... can't wait to watch it.

Ii haven't picked up comics in years and this had me get the entire series. It is really well told story. You'll really enjoy it if you are into zombies.

Jay

Old 07 July 2010   #11
I just read the entire series.. great writing, great characters, i loved it

Old 07 July 2010   #12
Big fan of the comics and the teaser they showed on ComicCon looks great! Can't wait!

Old 11 November 2010   #13
Not sure if it's better to bring this thread back from the dead (heh) or start a new one, but couldn't find a new thread and it's started airing last week, anyone watching it? Pretty fantastic so far IMO.

I have no idea what the general budget is, but they're doing some great stuff on a TV level. And no sparing the CG blood and gore either.

Old 11 November 2010   #14
I watched it and it was awesome. It's been approached as a serious drama with emotional resonance, where we see the psychological and emotional trauma the characters go through, and I expected no less from the guy that made The Shawshank Redemption. I think this is going to be one of the best TV shows in recent history, and it's going to transcend the horror zombie genre and be seen as something "respectable," just like how BSG transcended its sci-fi roots and won over a lot of fans who didn't care for sci-fi.

I never warmed up to the comic though when I gave it a try. Some types of storytelling just don't feel quite "right" in the sequential panels format.

Oh, and Dr. Sarah Tancredi (Sarah Wayne Callies) from Prison Break is in it. Me = very happy. She's so incredibly elegant, and has these doe-like brown eyes that just makes you melt.

Last edited by Lunatique : 11 November 2010 at 03:25 AM.

Old 11 November 2010   #15
My wife and I just watched the first two two episodes and we both really love it. It has a few overly cliche moments and scenarios, but they still pulled off a compelling take of a classic storyline we have all seen before in previous zombie flicks. It's nothing new or avant-garde, but its executed really well.

Looking forward to next weeks show.

Thread Closed share thread