Frosted Glass Challenge (Any Render Engine)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

07 July 2010
yes, true again

just trying to get as close as i can (without spending too much time) anyway... thats just how i am, lol

07 July 2010
Thanks for the Indigo entry, Marcellus! The table is updated.

07 July 2010
Thanks for the Mantra entry! Updated...

07 July 2010
Wow mantras render look great.
Houdini has 2 renderers right ? one biased and one unbiased which one is this ?

AKA Javadevil
Duncan H

07 July 2010
Well, mantra has several "modes" and one of them is physically based rendering, which this image uses.
There are some mistakes in the render actually so I may re-do it.

07 July 2010
It does look a little waxy, but still awesome.
Is there any translucency/sss ?

AKA Javadevil
Duncan H

07 July 2010
Thank you. No SSS, just straight glossy reflection/refraction. And yes it does look way too much like wax, that was one of the errors. Refraction was too rough and reflections not rough enough.

07 July 2010
I'd try it without glossie refraction since its frosted glassed/sandblasted.

cheers

AKA Javadevil
Duncan H

07 July 2010
Updated V-Ray entry with a new one from Rivoli and enlarged the table for inviting more engines. Rendering a single object on the floor shoudn't be hard. I'd like to see more contributions. Where are all these popular render engines?

07 July 2010
Mantra image has been updated.

07 July 2010
I found some friends considering to play with emitter size and position to match the look. FYI, it's not suggested and I can't include a modified output on the table. Engine limitations (some of them don't have emitters but only IBL) are still valid. Post-processing is also strictly prohibited.

Last edited by tomNL : 07 July 2010 at 07:18 PM.

07 July 2010
I can see now why you guys started this challenge... fryrender seems to have real trouble rendering this frosted glass. Or i must be doing something really wrong (its probably that)

Last edited by ACiD80 : 07 July 2010 at 02:06 PM.

07 July 2010
Same here with Luxrender. It's possible, and it will look good, but it seems to take forever to get really clean results. It's rendering for almost 22 hrs -- granted, on a rather old E6300 Core2Duo cpu with only 2 gigs of ram -- and there is still some noise, especially around the dragon's feet. But that could be due to my lack of in depth knowledge about how to set up the renderer for better performance.

I guess, I'll let it render for a few hours more and then post it here.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take for the other renders to complete? More specific, how long until the Indigo or Maxwell renders where noisefree?

07 July 2010
Here's an updated Indigo render.. Left it to render longer and toned down the front light as well as altered a few of the light color settings to more closely match the Maxwell/Original versions.

@wiz4rd

The first Indigo render I posted took ~ 5 hours, and it was still had some minor, but noticeable noise. This new version I left on overnight (~10 hours) to address that issue.

reply share thread