Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
xxbinxx
Most Wanted

portfolio
Nguyen Manh Hung
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Send a message via ICQ to xxbinxx Send a message via AIM to xxbinxx Send a message via MSN to xxbinxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxbinxx
Gnomon School of Visual Effects Unveils Gnomon Studios

Studio to Offer Hands-on Digital Entertainment Production Training for Gnomon Students, First Project Is Academy-Award Nominee Shane Acker’s New Short, “Plus Minus”

LOS ANGELES--22-06-2010
--Gnomon School of Visual Effects, the industry leader in professional training for artists in the entertainment and design field, today revealed that it has established Gnomon Studios, where advanced Gnomon students prepare for professional careers by working on short films in a studio environment under the guidance and mentorship of production professionals. Gnomon Studios is currently working on Academy Award-nominated Director Shane Acker’s new short film, “Plus Minus.”

More info http://bit.ly/bc8ynK

Last edited by xxbinxx : 07-15-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
DimeS
Frequenter

"Short films, such as Acker’s “Plus Minus,” will be the core production focus of Gnomon Studios. Alvarez also expects Gnomon Studios to contribute to the occasional feature project when opportunities arise, as was the case with the facility’s recent contributions to the 2011 film “Green Lantern” and the popular TV series, “Fringe.”"

Please tell me that the students working on these commercial projects are getting paid or are at least getting a rebate on some of their massive tuition. Otherwise Gnomon has just about the best racket around, employees that pay to do work. I'm sure Gnomon didn't do Green Lantern and Fringe pro-bono.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimeS
Please tell me that the students working on these commercial projects are getting paid or are at least getting a rebate on some of their massive tuition. Otherwise Gnomon has just about the best racket around, employees that pay to do work. I'm sure Gnomon didn't do Green Lantern and Fringe pro-bono.

Initially my response was the same as this but I think it all depends how it's handled. After all, doing production work is the best experience money can buy, it usually cannot be bought.

At the end of the day if the Students are supervised through their role entirely by professional staff (as one would expect is the case here) then Gnomon is absorbing all the risk and cost associated with having students do the work.

I teach students at a tertiary and they aren't reliable and need to be helped through. During holidays when making shorts or if we need extra hands for funded productions I offer some of them work. I usually try to get the production to buy them lunch or something but basically it's a case of Work for Training. And to be honest, I feel they get the better deal most of the time. It takes most of them (comparatively) so long to get through the work and if you give them the utterly boring stuff most of them don't do it, instead going back to self-taught principles which are so pervasive in the industry. If it was up to me I'd pay them something more for their time ... although then I'd take less of them and demand more.

But I understand the sentiment.

Sometimes I wonder at the state of modern training. I guess I feel like VFX/CG is better suited to a classic apprenticeship model. Although the 'Atelier' model is also fitting ... which is what this is I guess?
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Last edited by axiomatic : 06-23-2010 at 01:19 AM.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

I'm sure I've read that there are laws regarding schools undertaking in private enterprise? Although google is failing me at the moment, so I can't find anything specific to refer to and I'm not clued up enough about competition law to know off-hand.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
meleseDESIGN
-" Green Streetart "-

portfolio
Melese
Berlin, Germany

To intern at a company usually doesn't pay in £€$, nowadays it's often even part of an scholastically curriculum to absolve an internship in a production environment, at least here in Germany. I would not say that Gnomon does anything wrong with that, even if their students doesn't get paid for, I think it's a privileg for Gnomon's students to work on professionell projects and that's groovy, imo.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
talos72
superpill

portfolio
Arash Tirgari
Concept Designer/ Illustrator
Redondo Beach, California, USA

I think what Gnomon is doing is a good thing for the students, but I also believe in the adage "an honest day's work for an honest day's pay". Other distributors and studios would be making money off the short films and feature projects the students work on, so it is logical the student should be paid for their time and effort.

Last edited by talos72 : 06-23-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Blazer
Supreme Commander

Danny Robashkin
MAKE
Minneapolis, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleseDESIGN
To intern at a company usually doesn't pay in £€$, nowadays it's often even part of an scholastically curriculum to absolve an internship in a production environment, at least here in Germany. I would not say that Gnomon does anything wrong with that, even if their students doesn't get paid for, I think it's a privileg for Gnomon's students to work on professionell projects and that's groovy, imo.

It is true that internships are important, and sometimes even required, but I don't agree with the premise that all internships are non-paid. I firmly believe that if a company has an intern working on a paying job, that intern should be paid something. Even if it is minimum wage, or $10 an hour. Of course they aren't as quick or efficient as an artist you would hire, but that's why they don't make $25+ an hour... just $10 or so.

If Gnomon is actually having these students to pay for the right to work on VFX for Fringe I think that is criminal.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
meleseDESIGN
-" Green Streetart "-

portfolio
Melese
Berlin, Germany

I didn't say all are non-paid, but it's actually not the standard as far as I know (maybe bonus that nobody needs to know). Just imagine running a studio and dealing with 5 interns each $10 per hour, you probably would need to hire a new secretary as well.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

interships are usually non pay but if its a 3 month internship the studio should at least pay minimum wage or at the very least cover the public transit monthly pass. Students are broke as it is usually and have a debt big enough to buy a new mercedez with. That said, everyone pays their dues to get in. Its not an easy industry and if people cared about getting minimum wage more than working as an artist, they should've taken up something like accounting.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
TheWraith
Expert

portfolio
KLC Mr.
various 3d things
US

as long as they're not actually competing for work against other studios, it seems like a pretty cool deal.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
meleseDESIGN
-" Green Streetart "-

portfolio
Melese
Berlin, Germany

I know companys offering 1 year internships without paying the interns any cent while the interns do work on professionell projects during the hole year. It sounds more like in internal internship, what is actually pretty unique and awesome. I just bought "The Making of White Swan" DVD from Gnomon and they tell you that the studends of Gnomon also worked part time on this project. I don't know if they get paid for for it, but I heard they had a lot fun to be part of the project. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
interships are usually non pay but if its a 3 month internship the studio should at least pay minimum wage or at the very least cover the public transit monthly pass. Students are broke as it is usually and have a debt big enough to buy a new mercedez with. That said, everyone pays their dues to get in. Its not an easy industry and if people cared about getting minimum wage more than working as an artist, they should've taken up something like accounting.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
Blazer
Supreme Commander

Danny Robashkin
MAKE
Minneapolis, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith
as long as they're not actually competing for work against other studios, it seems like a pretty cool deal.

Yes... I'm sure Fringe would have removed the visual effects for the episode(s) if Gnomon didn't have students working on it.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
DimeS
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer
Yes... I'm sure Fringe would have removed the visual effects for the episode(s) if Gnomon didn't have students working on it.

Ha ha, exactly. It's funny how people here get so up in arms about outsourcing to China, India etc. but don't seem to have a problem with this. At least the foreign companies don't charge their employees for the privilege of working on big name productions.
Of course, maybe Gnomon is compensating their students/employees and aren't undercutting other bids using their negative salary costs as leverage...but I kind of doubt it.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleseDESIGN
I know companys offering 1 year internships without paying the interns any cent while the interns do work on professionell projects during the hole year. It sounds more like in internal internship, what is actually pretty unique and awesome. I just bought "The Making of White Swan" DVD from Gnomon and they tell you that the studends of Gnomon also worked part time on this project. I don't know if they get paid for for it, but I heard they had a lot fun to be part of the project. ;-)

my fun consists of being able to pay my bills and having enough money to put some in savings. being broke isnt very fun lol. At least they worked part time. I cant see myself putting in 40 to 80 hours of work for the sake of experience for 1 year.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #15
Mic_Ma
lightfooted rambling-man

Murkus
Tiddelduddledee
Vatican City State (Holy See)

Being a school of sorts I wonder if they use educational or commercial licences for their professional projects.

Thread Closed share thread