Desktop CG + Giant Robots = Hollywood Deal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2009   #31
Well the director is IN THE FORUM

and has posted the full short with us.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=154&t=822329

So if you wish to talk to him, just drop by his thread, or invite him here.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2009   #32
I think the destruction is quite epic--it reminds me of 911 type visuals(as well as George Pal's War of the Worlds)--and something i would have expected to see in War of the Worlds if they hadnt taken a minimalist approach(I think they even said they wanted to avoid 911 comparisons).
Seeing New York attacked like this with more seamless effects would have been amazing.
He succeeded in making his city appear more important.

Now I just need to have some Hell demons or Lovecraftian deities come out of the street in front of my place to liven things up a little...

Old 12 December 2009   #33
Originally Posted by elfufu: whether you like his work or not, at the end of the day hes one of us and we should be happy that someone in CG who accomplished what most of us would like to achieve. Congrats to the man and best of luck..

quoted for truth and justice.

maybe, just maybe, we will get the RoboJox we all deserve!

Old 12 December 2009   #34
Hehe, wouldn't it be funny if some of you guys moaning about the director ended up working for him? Don't say it couldn't happen...

Old 12 December 2009   #35
Originally Posted by fuss: Hehe, wouldn't it be funny if some of you guys moaning about the director ended up working for him? Don't say it couldn't happen...

Thats actually a good idea. The guy should hire all the haters in this forum and pixel**** the hell out of them.

Old 12 December 2009   #36
I liked the short and wish the guy best of luck!

Old 12 December 2009   #37
My comments my have come off too harsh, so left me sumerise my thoughts:

1) Most of all I am very, very happy for this guy. Don't get me wrong, this is basically the CG artists dream come true, and I whole heartedly wish him the very best.

2) The short wasn't all that fulfilling for me. I mean there was zero character development and almost no emotional connection and there were a few glaring directorial problems.

3) Visually while it did have it's flaws, it was fairly well executed, though I don't buy the fact that it was just two guys doing the FX. Plus Managing a live action shoot like that and integrating the VFX was totally cool, and the grade looked quite professional.

4) I highly doubt the $300 price tag.

5) It takes a lot of work to make something like this and one can never get everything perfect. I should know, my wife and I just finished a 13 minute short animation that took us nearly two years of full time work. To be honest, I think I was hit with a minor shot of jealousy when I read the news, then watched the short. But in the end, I really hope he succeeds.

Old 12 December 2009   #38
Originally Posted by Njen:
4) I highly doubt the $300 price tag.

Me too. What did he live off, did he get all his food and shelter for free during production, did the hard- and software not cost anything? Maybe he owned it already, but then it still is a resource that should be reflected in a realistic calculation.

Old 12 December 2009   #39
I liked it, especially the ending. no intrepid band of humans pulling off the upset. Nope the aliens win the day.

Old 12 December 2009   #40
Hey guys...

Hey guys! I wanted to thank all the people that stood up for me in this forum! And for the rest, please, dont be so hard on me...

The thruth is that I did the short movie out of fun an passion. The actors are just my friends... we didnt intended to make a "serious" film. It started as a music video, and ended up as a short film too...

I agree that there's so many infinite amount of CG artist that are far better than me... I dont even consider myself a CG artist. Im a Director.. I make short movies since I was 8.

But well, if somebody offer me a cool deal to make a movie, what should I say? "No Sr, there are better artist out there..." I dont think nobody in this world would have done that.. But yes, maybe its unfair.. dont know..

ANd also, some people talk like they think Raimi saw the short movie online and sent me a deal via email! Wasnt so simple... I had to fly to LA, and meet with people, and convince them that I can make a movie... Its not easy at all.

Ok... so..

When I said 300bucks I didnt ment to offend anybody. Its actually the money we have to put on the table. Of course everybody worked for free on the shooting, Its a fun thing for the crew to be involved in this kind of projects here in uruguay.

I was thinking what would be the real budget if we had payed everybody... Ii would have probably be around 3.000 for the shooting.

the CG was made between me, and my friend and CG artist MAuro Rondan. Nobody else. Dont you thinkt that the rest of the artist would be kind of pist off if theyr not in the credits? You can very easly express yourself in youtube...

Mauro did all the modelling and rigging. And I did most of the Cg shots, composing, animating and tracking. I also did de sfx, and editing. OF course, we dont charge ourselves for the time... but if somebody would have wanted to hire us for the period of time of the short post production.. we would charge I guess something around 12.000 dollars each... So there you have the REAL cost of the short in a different scenario 15.000...

Here's another early post I did in DVXusers.. theres more info about the project:

Hi guys, Im Fede Alvarez, director of the shortmovie.

I would like to share more data about the project whit you:

The shooting:

We shoot with 300bucks, that's right. We spend most of the money in the 50 extras. (5 bucks each I believe... most of them where friends and family of the crew...)

The rest was spent in food for one day of shooting. And, of course, all the crew did'it for the love to the art... I mean, for free...

We've shooted with a Sony z1. Love the results. I like more the sharpnes and color delivered.... more than the P2 and other HD video cámeras.

We didint use any lights for the exteriors, just some white panels.

The post:

The first two months (back in 2007) was dedicated to modeling, riggin, texturing, etc. (3d max)

We took hires pictures of old wreked ships at the harbor for the robots and ufos metal textures. It was very important for me, to use textures that where originaly giant in scale. It's not cool to use small scale textures, and then resize.. not cool...

From blueprints we've made de models for the air force Pucarás and T37Dragonfly (Those are actually the best fighters our air force have at the moment.... for real...)

For the collapsing buildings, we made partial sections of the structures, and breaked't up with RayFire (GREAT TOOL!)

This first part we didit between two guys., Mauro Rondan and I.

After that I was on my own. Mauro helped in a more creative way, but I had to put by myself the 90 vfx shots. I've put the project ond hold for almost two years... and I reprise in late 2008.

I used Premiere for the editing (not too pro.. I know.. but Im a PC guy) Boujou fot the tracking (still the best thing for me) 3dMax for the 3d part, and Aftereffects for the comps.

Inside Max, I used Glu3d for the very few liquid simulations (only two shots I believe..) FumeFx did all the simulation smokes, but a lot of the smokes and explosion where actually real footage, (download and buyed from DETONATIONFILMS.com).

It took me then 4 more months (non stop) for the animation, simulations, compos and final color correction and stuff.

But at laaast, its done. I posted it 3 days ago, and the youtube post got 45,000hits already.. still amazed...

Hope its some useful info!

Peace

Fede.

p.d: hope your excuse my poor English..

Thanks again guys for the support. And for the ones that didnt link the short movie, I'll hope you like the future feature...

See you around.

Fede

Old 12 December 2009   #41
Originally Posted by fedalvar: Hey guys! I wanted to thank all the people that stood up for me in this forum! And for the rest, please, dont be so hard on me...

Hi Federico. Thanks for the post - I really enjoyed your short and you gave us all a fascinating insight into your working method. Good luck with the film - I'm looking forwards to seeing the final result!

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by dneg : 12 December 2009 at 09:58 PM.

Old 12 December 2009   #42
Originally Posted by fedalvar: But well, if somebody offer me a cool deal to make a movie, what should I say? "No Sr, there are better artist out there..." I dont think nobody in this world would have done that.. But yes, maybe its unfair.. dont know..

Thanks for that post, and no, it's not unfair. You were able to make a passion film AND get an amazing deal out of it. That pretty much makes you a legend among us.

Old 12 December 2009   #43
Federico I do wish you luck on the big screen.

Please do keep us in minds as you move forward.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2009   #44
Fair enough. That post, clarifying the aspects of the short, really shows how humble you are. Keep it up.

Old 12 December 2009   #45
I say, more power to him! Knock 'em dead...

Thread Closed share thread