Tables for 3D production

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 07 July 2009   #16
keep tweaking it, very awesome

Old 07 July 2009   #17
I'm not even a modeller and this is awesome, thanks for the effort!

Old 07 July 2009   #18
Long time no see this post. Good i was notified by email :P
@all: thanks to all for the positive feedback. Sometimes you go so nerdy about something you don't even know if that has any value at all.

@Azereus: PDF? Usefull for school? Well i could gadly do a PDF for this. Any suggestion on the format? Maybe i should add the examples i did not yet posted :P

@mister3d: You got some nice questions and im willing to answer them all. Unforntunetly i have really little time now and i wouldn't like like to answer them in a rush, but with time to think in your questions, I'll probably learn something from them.

So when i finish my evaluations this month i'll come back to this, post some examples and answer properly.

Cheers

Last edited by animatics : 07 July 2009 at 08:39 AM.

Old 07 July 2009   #19
I would like to see someone upload a QUAD poly mesh of a quad sphere which will turn into a seemingly perfectly rounded sphere.

I assume that this poly mesh would have to be somewhat dense. I tried making a basemesh for a perfectly rounded quad polysphere but failed.

An interesting question would be, how dense must a quad basemesh be, for making a smoothed and perfectly rounded polygon sphere. The optimal would be the solution with the most coarse mesh, yet still being seemingly perfecly spherical.

Last edited by Undseth : 07 July 2009 at 10:06 PM.

Old 07 July 2009   #20
Animatics, thank you for your reply, will be gladly waiting for your input.

Originally Posted by Undseth: I would like to see someone upload a QUAD poly mesh of a quad sphere which will turn into a seemingly perfectly rounded sphere.

I assume that this poly mesh would have to be somewhat dense. I tried making a basemesh for a perfectly rounded quad polysphere but failed.

An interesting question would be, how dense must a quad basemesh be, for making a smoothed and perfectly rounded polygon sphere. The optimal would be the solution with the most coarse mesh, yet still being seemingly perfecly spherical.

And just think: at some point the amount of polygons makes subdivision surface useless. So if you need a perfectly smooth sphere, why not to use nurbs or just a sphere? I think if we could make a perfectly smooth sphere from quads, we would have such a primitive.
And in general, if you want something very smooth with extrusions, inserts and so on, nurbs is a better choice imo. This is a limitation of a subdivision modeling. For organic modeling it's not as important as characters surface may be not perfect, and so may clothing.
That's funny how people say subdivision surface is limited by resolution, but why nobody thinks about texture limit, which comes much faster?

Last edited by mister3d : 07 July 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Old 07 July 2009   #21
Animatics,

I don't know if it's possible on this forum to rename threads, but if it is, would you consider renaming your thread to say "reference tables" instead of just tables? When I first saw your thread I thought it was about desks! I imagine some other people might skip it because of that.

Old 07 July 2009   #22
Very Interesting topic..thanks guys.

Old 07 July 2009   #23
Thanks for the charts, well done

Old 07 July 2009   #24
In 3ds max with Box primitive and Spherify modifier you can create a sphere with quads only...

http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~jylil.../QuadSphere.jpg

BerconMaps
, including new Gradient map for max: http://www.ylilammi.com

Old 10 October 2009   #25
This time a Moving Poles sheat. I'm sorry for the bad scaling of the info. This is just a first version.

While Moving Poles might not be that important to know, it's always nice to have a notion of how to change a Poles from an Edge Loop, where it might influence the polyflow.

I should probably make a video for this, since unlike stepping (where i still "own" a video) this is much more harder to connect with concrete examples.

Thought its a raw version i posted here so i can get critiques before i worry to much about design.

Cheers

Old 10 October 2009   #26
Are you reinventing the wheel? http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/...41222#post41222

Old 10 October 2009   #27
Hmmm nope. It's not even a "revision" of the wheel.
I did not noticed that part in so much depth though.
But i show far simpler and compact ways to do it with diferent terminology and concepts. Probably not so complete or informed, but by doing this myself, also i learn more then just watching what others found out and my mind takes shape instead of just thinking... "hmmm interesting" =) And if someone learns something from my process, better.

And if you think there some gross error or omission feel free to correct it. This is not a book, its just my aproach to something that i put my head into for a time.

Still, i know i got to have more patience to read what others already did.
(As for reading their questions and answear, so i can learn more =P)

Cheers

Last edited by animatics : 10 October 2009 at 12:41 AM.

Old 10 October 2009   #28
If you take so much time to make such charts, why not to read what others did? I'm not sure if you got my email answer where I listed this one. In the end it's not my invention either, I just organised what others did. But maybe you will come up with a better presentation or explanation. I'm not sure if anything new can be found in this area. But what is really missed is using tris and n-gones. Not avioiding, but using.
Good luck buddy, I have a high respect for what you do, as I know what it takes, don't get me wrong.

I think this kind of information still needs a good solid dvd, alongside with sub-d modeling tecniques and tips and tricks.

Last edited by mister3d : 10 October 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Old 10 October 2009   #29
This is like the quantum of theory of 3D modeling!

Old 10 October 2009   #30
This is uniquely awesome as far as I'm concerned, thank you animatics for putting this together and for sharing it.

reply share thread