Realistic Fur Pipeline

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2009   #61
Fur Dynamics, Renderman

Hello all - great thread, lots of knowledge flying around!

Our studio is maya based and we use renderman to render our fur.
However renderman for maya wont evaluate fur driven by hair dynamics correctly. Can anyone tell me a pipeline that will get around this??

Perhaps using Shave, exporting a RIB out of maya and rendering with something like 3Delight?

anyone with some success on this topic without using software written inhouse - i'd love to hear from you!

Old 06 June 2009   #62
Shave and a Haircut renders just fine in Renderman, dynamics and all. Check it out.

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

Old 06 June 2009   #63
yes rfm should work just fine with shave...

Old 06 June 2009   #64
1 guy 6 weeks total production of rig hair lighting and final rendering (animation done by a team of 4.

so I probably spent about 3 3.5 weeks on the hair all alone. I do agree it could be better but I think this and the houdini ones are comparable (I like the more patchy sections in their tail, but the director didn't want that look. Each frame rendered 2k in under two minutes. I'd say if I had anything like the time that most production houses have on big features I could get a much more comparable result, so do you need a team of software engineers? hardly. You need talented folk who can use the already existing tools. Ornatrix for Max is great, Hair for C4D is great, Shave is tried tested and true although slow, Houdini's Hair. and any of those solutions outputting to renderman (not sure if ornatrix can or not) is always going to be a good solution too.

Have to agree with JacO on the depth passes they are very difficult for such situations, rushed work can using your standard pass outputs can cause a real mess like this guys tail
http://kaithestuffguy.com/images/squirrelcloseOLD.jpg

Old 06 June 2009   #65
considering the answer of the JacO and you LucentDreams, the best way to use DOF with animated fur, is to fake it ?

Old 06 June 2009   #66
Wow man, for 2 min and 2k you can't complain, you have pretty nice results. Which software
and renderer are u using anyway?
what about motion blur and DoF? the render times increase too much?

Old 06 June 2009   #67
Some really interesting stuff here
I once had the "joy" of making hair/fur on a rat - with Shave and a haircut... it was really really difficult to get a good result even after hours of adjusting, and rendering times are just way out there.

Now while were on this subject - i thought i would post this here, which i wound some time ago.
Cem Yuksel is developing some 3Ds Max Hair plugin that looks to be far ahead of the stuff that is in Max now.
And the shadows are just the best i have seen in such short render times - almost realtime
his website is here
http://www.cemyuksel.com/software/
and direct link to his Hair videos and stuff
http://www.cemyuksel.com/research/dualscattering/

Does anyone know any additional info about this stuff Cem Yuksel is working on?

Regards

Old 06 June 2009   #68
Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for their contribution, used many of the suggestions to create my first gorilla. Although it was rushed turned out ok.

Cheers

Old 06 June 2009   #69
Originally Posted by visionmaster2: considering the answer of the JacO and you LucentDreams, the best way to use DOF with animated fur, is to fake it ?

I think the best is to have a real DOF out of the renderer itself. That's why using renderman and the like will be the best bet.

Old 06 June 2009   #70
Originally Posted by visionmaster2: considering the answer of the JacO and you LucentDreams, the best way to use DOF with animated fur, is to fake it ?

Faking hardly ever, if ever at all, worked for me.
Real DOF is usually the only thing that works reliably. It's normally not too much of a problem with renderman engines.

Old 06 June 2009   #71
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: I'd say if I had anything like the time that most production houses have on big features I could get a much more comparable result, so do you need a team of software engineers? hardly. You need talented folk who can use the already existing tools.

I can agree with that, but it needs some context.
Rendering one believable short furred squirrel without deformation blur and with nothing much in the realm of dynamics is one thing, it's another problem entirely rendering a horde of charging matted fur buffaloes with a camera boom that goes from a close up of buffaloes rushing to an overview of them.

Creating the curves for the engine to render is nearly trivial these days, but where commercial applications fail quite blatantly is when it comes to decent shading models, supporting lighting more exotic than a few spotlights, and even worse dynamics.

Grooming and rendering just curve primitives has never really been a problems, just a matter of patience and time.

Studios don't embark on expensive RnD for the sake of it, and almost always start from commercial solutions in the hope little or no research will be needed, and almost inevitably end up having to scrap those solutions entirely for anything but simple work, or, if considerable amounts of work have been done, building an entirely new framework on top of them for the assets to survive the current production (and scrap it for something else the following production or replacing the failing part that was usually the commercial system).

Old 06 June 2009   #72
I like the idea that we have months to spend grooming a character, I really do

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Old 06 June 2009   #73
Kai thats a wonderful result! Be proud cos you've nailed a very realistic fur setup there - would look just perfect in a hdri lit scene animated and all

Was this done in Cinema4D then?

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Old 06 June 2009   #74
it was done wiht cinema4d hair module yes. c4d hair is amazing!! unfortunately i cant find the hive-fx reel where u can see kais work in action...this is the threat -> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...64&page=1&pp=15

Old 06 June 2009   #75
Very glad to see this topic since I'm doing some fur rendering test recently too. Here is the render and wireframe of my latest work. The form of the fur is half way done and still need some adjust for details. After that I need to do some lighting test.

It's make by maya2008, maya fur and rendered in mentalray by default light, preview quality with final gather turned on.

Last edited by twols : 06 June 2009 at 04:28 AM.

Thread Closed share thread