Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
Ilive
Lord of the posts
Willie
It\'s just me!
Round Rock , USA

Forget Pixar, Disney and Dreamworks. Call of the indie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WApcUBcVMos&e#

Possibly some great advice. I see so many people looking for jobs with great talent or even mediocre talent.

This old timer has some advice.

Go make it yourself. Don't look for a job. Make your own job.

ps Don't really forget those places if they offer you a job. It is probably cool to work there and a good career move.

Last edited by Ilive : 08-05-2008 at 05:08 AM.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
sfox8
Frequenter

portfolio
Aaron Wright
Lighting/Texturing
N/A
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via AIM to sfox8 Send a message via MSN to sfox8
He makes a really great point, but still, I think it's very easy to say "stop crying about not having a job and do it yourself and get rich", but at the end of the day, there's much more to it than that. Obviously it's a great idea for people to branch out and try their own thing (and not do everything "Disney's way") but I honestly can't see things being as simple as he's trying to make it. It takes a lot just to even render out thousands of frames in a reasonable amount of time. A lot of money, a lot of time, a lot of effort, a lot of manpower, a lot of will, a lot of dedication, and that's honestly not something that would be easy to get a bunch of people to do (mainly without the promise of pay, because let's face it, there's no telling whether or not this indie film will be a success anyway). On top of this, they would all have to have an actual job (or two) that pays well in order to be able to live through this "year" of production.

Still, his conference is very inspiring and I respect his willingness to give this speech to today's animators, but one would have to take everything else in their life into account.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Leionaaad
rigger mortis

portfolio
Leonard Leon
generalist
freelance
Timisoara, Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to Leionaaad
I can't see the movie right now, I sure hope I am on topic.
A production environment keeps you in tuch with the industry. People support each other. I can imagine working from home a few years will definitelly show on your work, esspecially if you don't have a strong artistic background. even so, it's easy to get trapped in your own style.
So...the gains are only financial and for short term(of course depends on the person and the situation. If you work with 5 other people it can be ok.).

Old 08-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
ThomasMahler
Dudemeister

portfolio
Thomas Mahler
Irvine, USA

I'd love to give a detailed answer to this, but I'm currently wrapping up a project and I don't have the time, but:

1) I don't think what Ralph says applies to 3d Animation.
2) He's oversimplifying the situation based on where he stands in this world, that's why it's appealing to hear him talking.

Gotta work!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
Ilive
Lord of the posts
Willie
It\'s just me!
Round Rock , USA

well I think it applies to 3d animation.

There are people making money off of live action low budget films and 2d animation.
There is a niche market and money can be made.

Jeff Lew took a shot at it and worked on a full length Killer Bean movie which is very high quality. Took him 4 years. Imagine though if there were 4 other guys working on the film with him. Can take them 1 year.

M Dot did it as well. He's making money doing it.

I think people are overwhelmed before they start.

I'm currently working on a CG film featuring Sasquatch, some Grey Aliens and a few human characters. MOCAP is involved as well as good old fashioned keyframing. The rate I'm going it will take about 7 months. It's roughly 30 minutes long. It's going to be for free.

In 3d though once you build the assets you can make part 1, 2, 3 almost as fast as a flash animator can turn out a 2d animation.

You have to keep rendering time down but you can also buddy up with some folks who have render power and go from there.

I mean there are ways around the difficulties you can face in CG and creative thinking.
I mean the CG itself doesn't have to look like Pixar.

Hannah Barbara created an empire at one time in history that made soem memorable shows but were no were near as good looking as WB and Disney. But who can forget Smurfs, Scooby Doo, Snagglepus, Herculoids, Space Ghost, Justice League, Jetsons, Flinstones etc.

If you do have the talen though and go with a few other talented people. What could be accomplished?

Could money be made? Even millions possibly?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #6
KnickKnack
In awe of everyone

portfolio
Peter Roe
Technical Director Shading
Pixar
USA

Ralph is definately right with what he says

He's not saying it's easy, or risk-free, but he's simply asking the question "why isn't anyone doing it?" and that's a good question.

It's not so much a criticism of Pixar et al. but a criticism of the animators who don't believe there's any other way of working in this business.

I think it's an inspiring talk, you never know, the next disney could be founded on a single indie animation that blows everything else out the water.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
ThomasMahler
Dudemeister

portfolio
Thomas Mahler
Irvine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnickKnack
I think it's an inspiring talk, you never know, the next disney could be founded on a single indie animation that blows everything else out the water.

That's exactly the problem. It won't blow everything else out of the water, cause of production costs. And it's been done before. Simple animation with great ideas is actually striving right now - For example, South Park. Those guys don't give a shit about how their animation looks like, they're just in there to tell their obscure, little, funny stories. And very sucessfully so. Mr. Ralph 'Fritz, the Cat' Bakshi is quite comparable to that, IMO.

3d is quite a bit different compared to 2d in production regards and I think it's a pretty horrible medium to create films at the moment. It's potentially probably one of the best mediums, but with all the problems that arise... You'll have to model, shade, texture, light, comp every single asset on the screen. And cheap, fast 2d tends to still look a lot more appealing than quick, cheap 3d, which always has this sterile, ugly look that's just hard to sell, cause it loos like crap.

Also, I'd love to know what he's using. What sorta magic software is he using that does all the things he mentions? A software package where you just have to animate and the computer will do the rest? Seriously, Ralph?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
That was the best DANG video I have seen all year, and this is the best DANG thread for bringing it up!

I have no idea who the guy is (I heard Fritz in there somewhere which I loved) so no danger of hero worship.

Bloody Hell,....we do have all these incredible tools and no nutz to use them.
Quote:
And cheap, fast 2d tends to still look a lot more appealing than quick, cheap 3d, which always has this sterile, ugly look that's just hard to sell, cause it loos like crap.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! I have seen some damn ugly 3d being used for kids programs in Holland. It is however being used. I find the story lines, acting, textures, sets and animations horrid,... but it is being sold. Who here could not do better? He is not talking about doing it alone but with a group, how do you think those big studios got started? 3D assets are reusable. Dont get me wrong, I am sitting here next to a 300 dpi still for a brocure that is crawling atm. These things can be solved if you spread the pain over a group.

Freakin top expostulation!
A very good thread indeedio.
Cheers Chris

Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
vfx
Lead TD

portfolio
Dominic Alderson
Lead TD / Artist / Film Maker
United Kingdom

Ahh man even as gutsy as this is, it's very refreshing to listen to. Very insightful and I'm sorry but I love the idea of sticking it to the big boys.

One things for sure, imagine how much more creativity there would be out there if people did indeed have total freedom to go off for a yr and create a movie? What a world - oh and we wouldn't have any bullshit pay problems like those currently occuring in the fx industry.

This is very doable - get a sponsor or two and you can get paid for doing it too!

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
yenvalmar
Lord of the posts

portfolio
ian wilmoth
3d artist
www.ianwilmoth.tv
brooklyn, USA

Send a message via AIM to yenvalmar Send a message via Yahoo to yenvalmar
unfortunately...

pixar set the bar very high for rendering 3d features and given the lemming nature of the majority of anything with a lot of money involved many people think thats the only way to skin the cat. ironically i think how great pixar's films are, and the uneven but generally ambitious attempts to reach the same TYPE of quality has reinforced that mindset that any 3d feature is going to be so hard to render that you might as well not bother.

but you dont need to do anything like that to make a worthwhile movie, as a number of people have mentioned. bad 3d looks bad but that has nothing to do with render times.
making renders cheap is a matter of putting work up front such as baking stuff. these days after enough hassle you can eventually put your normal mapped high quality looking assets assets in a high end game engine and render at 30 fps and have it look legitimately good if you really care about render times. and if you arent getting paid render in your spare time. buy an extra computer with no frills for $1000 and let it crunch for 6 months, who cares that sees the final movie how long the renders took. you can do other things while you render, its fun even sometime

south park goes to the other extreme in terms of quality and i frankly am glad there havent been more mainstream imitators but maybe they corretly perceived that you cant rip it off any cheaper than its really made, heh.

but between those extremes fall just about any look you can imagine. if you can't figure out a look that will work within your constraints you have problems as a film maker or with your imagination but dont blame the technology... its better than it every has been before. of course we have seen inedpendant or lower budget films that tried to simply do the same thing high budget films do. of course they looked shoddy and cheap.

on the other hand we have probably all seen independant films that were quite cool looking and striking and it had nothing to do with having a high budget but rather just smart choices in art direction. or old films made before any sort of digital perfectionism where no post tinkering coould improve it anyways. people made independant films on film guys, real film, plenty of them, if you have ever made a film on real film, thats some commitment, doing it on a computer immediately makes it 100 times easier, no matter how hard it is on the computer.

i think the real barrier to this happening more is ironically that most good 3d artists find decent paying WORK doing 3d and its hard to turn away from a paycheck. if you are a starving artist with no hope you can give yourself permission to really make great art.. most of us are making a little bit too much money with 3d to the point where it becomes our whole livelihood and then you feel hesitant about doing anything really risky.

ps- there IS a way you can get total freedom to make a film, without needing another job, and even get equipment and help to do it- its called going to a university. there are some other threads on cgtalk about the topic. for the same money as a proper 4 year degree you could also make a damn decent film by hiring people to make it for you but at least in my case student loans were much easier to come by at age 18 than loans to make a movie directly on my own..

pps- the truly hard part is getting somebody to watch your film when its done.

ppps- i'm using the term film to refer to both live action and animation, for the point of this discussion i think its worth looking at the live action world to see how much independant (and i mean low/no budget, not just "independant" like tarantino) stuff does go on and often to a quality standard that is quite proficient technically even compared to mainstream corporate funded fare.. not so much in sci fi or fx heavy work (though there are a few out there) but in general... you see plenty of independant films where the photography is not amateurish.. usually made by professional film makers on the side, but they do it somehow..

Last edited by yenvalmar : 08-05-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
MDuffy
Trained Monkey

portfolio
Michael Duffy
Prog. Dept. Manager
McKinney, USA

I think Ralph's advice is good, but probably not for everyone. Really, it does just come down to making a product and finding someone to buy enough of it to make it worth your while. It does apply to 3D, but you have to get into the right mindset and production pipeline. You are not going to compete with Pixar or do anything with their complexity or quality, just like Bakshi's work isn't the same smoothness or "quality" of Disney films. But he got the story told, and sold his work, and made a living off of it.

Maybe a small team doesn't have the money and time to pull off a Pixar or Dreamworks scale movie. But surely a small team could model/rig/texture/animate/comp something along the quality of the webcomic The Dreamland Chronciles (http://www.thedreamlandchronicles.com/). And surely you could find a buyer in the cable and international market for the finished product, with DVD sales rounding out the sources of income.

The team members just need to find a way to live for the duration of production. It would be easier to do with experienced people, but experienced people are much more likely to have other factors that prevent them from living off of ramen noodles for a year (aka, spouse, children, mortgage, retirement). That's really the catch though. You can put together a small team to produce the work without a ton of overhead, and you can even bulid the hardware infrastructure (network, storage, renderfarm) for a modest investment, considering it only has to support a handful of people and doesn't have to scale to 100s of people and machines hitting it. But how do you cover the living expenses of your team members (and their families/dependents) during production? Investors? Day jobs? Communes?

Just something I ponder on a daily basis... :-)

Cheers,
Michael Duffy

Old 08-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
ragdoll
abuser of the ellipses...

rj torralba
animator
Telltale
USA

students at GOBELINS are on the right track...maybe they need to watch this video and see if it sparks any ideas.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
zandoria
A:M zealot...

portfolio
William Sutton
Zandoria Studios
Ooltewah, USA

Totally inspiring--thanks for posting. Thanks to Ralph for saying!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenvalmar
i think the real barrier to this happening more is ironically that most good 3d artists find decent paying WORK doing 3d and its hard to turn away from a paycheck. if you are a starving artist with no hope you can give yourself permission to really make great art.. most of us are making a little bit too much money with 3d to the point where it becomes our whole livelihood and then you feel hesitant about doing anything really risky.

Unlike traditional animators, a lot of people doing CG are into it for the sake of CG and looks, they have no interest in directing their own movie.

I myself like large teams, long deadlines with very tough technical challenges and pretty pixels.

Given the choice between a most amazing story written by one of my friends, and an incredibly well polished but not as well penned movie, I'd rather watch the first and work on the latter.

I tip my hat to this guy, and while I agree with a lot of what he said, I think his views are somewhat simplistic. It's also clear he's never been immersed for very long in a big shop producing top tier vfx or cg features.
Most people aren't working at rythm and hues or ILM just for the paycheck comfort, even if half or more of the movies they have to work on have a visual/wow bias rather than deep storylines and amazing film-making. People work there because that's where you meet inspiring people and you get the longest time to produce the shiniest of pixels.

Very nice words, but CG isn't traditional animation in terms of people and values. Close in some regards but not the same. Has never been, will not be for many years (if ever).

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 08-05-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Sceme
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Mikko-Pentti Einari Eronen
Graphical designer
ScemeArt
Lieksa, Finland

What he says is quite right, although it would be quite risky to use all your times making some film and getting a good group together that is fully dedicated to the project. Not to mention that half of the film usually is audio and other half is the graphics. What I'm saying is that you would also have to find quite wide range of skilled people to get things done even half-decent.

In many cases such projects fall apart in discussion sessions already, because people disagree about story part (no matter what THEY are doing in the project). Few people want this and others want that.

Working for some bigger or even decent company is different since you are getting paid and you just do what you are told to do. In "Indie" or other smaller projects the problems step in when you face the fact that nobody is actually paying you. You don't feel the need to do what others tell you and you start making your own statement about the story for example even if you were just an animator (this example was written in mind that the project actually had full crew making the film).

So basically if you can find very good people with open and dedicated minds you could do wonders.

Thread Closed share thread