Team Fortress 2 - CGSociety Players

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2007   #46
Waiting for my PayPal account to register the money I just transferred so I can finally buy the precious orange box...

Old 09 September 2007   #47
Originally Posted by Sinew: any news when it will be released on the 360?

I think ps3/360/pc all launch the same date: October...27th I think. We're only playing the beta.

Old 09 September 2007   #48
Loving TF2, though got some odd graphic issues.

Old 09 September 2007   #49
Bought my first Orange Box on Steam yesterday. Played about an hour or two last night.
My opinion on the Source engine soured over the years but I liked what they did with TF2.
I'm impressed with how ballanced it all works so far. I have to figure how to use all the characters yet. I did best as the Demoman. It's good to see a medic that is actually useful too.

Nice touches for each map that give newcomers the animated strategy required to win a level. Very well done.

Old 09 September 2007   #50
I agree completely, I was at first in shock when I started TF2 because I use to be an emp grenade engy machine.. I was very sad to see the huge grenade change. But as I played I really liked the, no grenade spam, element.
It makes it much more balanced and even more strategic.. It's definatly going to be a very good game!!

Old 09 September 2007   #51
I didn't ever get into the original TF or TFC and I basically just pre-ordered the Orange Box because I wanted to see how TF2 looked in motion.

After a couple of 20 minute play sessions I was getting a bit bored as the soldier so I switched to Engy and Spy and WHAM! TF2 has become one of my favourite multiplay games. It's so much fun sneaking into the enemy base as a spy and then running around acting like you're apart of their team before backstabbing Mr Sniper and cloaking while running for your life hehe

Old 09 September 2007   #52
Yea, I really like spy still, although it seems to be the one class I don't feel is all that much different.. I like the invis add, which they didn't use to have... But other than that, they pretty much play the same.

Old 09 September 2007   #53
Originally Posted by RockinAkin: I dont feel like I've "paid to test" the game (the game is surprisingly rock-stable, I haven't encountered any bugs this past week of playing). If you pre-order now, you get a 10% discount on the orange box, the ability to try out Team Fortress 2 immediately, and on oct 10, you get TWO more totally new games - Portal and Half Life 2: Episode 2.

So for $45, you get Team Fortress, Portal, and Half Life Episode Two... and if you didn't have Half Life 2 and Episode One before, they're throwing them in to the package for free.

Seems like a perfectly fair deal to me. Valve has created a quality product, and selling those 3 games alone for $45 is probably the best deal you'll find in the gaming world for a while.

Just my 2c.

Well, that's fine for people who don't owe HL2 and Episode 1 yet. I dare to argue that the majority of people who already have Steam accounts and are eager to get TF2 already owe at least HL2 and probably also Episode 1. Offering them the orange box as the only option at this time is a bit like selling lottery tickets by saying "One ticket for the next drawing costs 5$, but we only offer it as a part of a complete package, together with 2 tickets from the last week's drawing for a total of 10$. Yeah, it's 10$, but you're getting 3 tickets for the prize of one!". I don't complain about the prize of the orange box itself, I don't think it's unreasonable. Once the game ships I expect there to be an option to buy TF2 separately for around half the prize of the orange box, and that would be all right - after all and as far as I understand it is "just" a mod that requires another full product (HL2) to run, so it should not cost as much as a full game. It just irks me that Valve is using the hype and anticipation around TF2 to lure many people into paying for stuff they don't need or paying again for stuff they already have. And those who buy the orange box right now are basically paying for a "beta key". Brilliant. From the marketing's point of view.

If Valve wanted to beta test their game they could simply give limited licenses of the beta to existing Steam members who owe HL2 for free. Those licenses would automatically expire before the game ships. That's how other companies do it. OR they could at least allow an option to preorder TF2 alone for a lower prize, with Steam and the whole electronic download technology in place it would be a piece of cake, the needful technology is already in place.

I would just hate to see one of my favourite game developers slowly turning into a money milking corporation. I don't want them to become the next Electronic Arts or Sony...

And by the way, RockinAkin, it's great the game runs flawlessly on your computer and does not feel like a beta, but tell it to the guy a few posts above yours, whose game is crashing every 10 minutes. I'm sure he's not alone having problems. That's the point of an open beta test, to test a game on a as wide range of different configurations as possible, on many the game will run without problems and on some it will not work at all. I would sure be quite pissed if I was so unpatient to pay 50 (or 45) bucks for TF2 just to find out I can't play it due to a bizarre bug that appears only on 10% of all systems.

Anyway, I do not want to be responsible for turning this thread into a flame war, but I felt these were some things that needed to be mentioned, and nobody seemed willing to do so. Finally, to make my post a bit more useful and not just a rant I might have a piece of advice to people who experience problems with stuttering and freezes during play. IF it's the same problem from about 3 years ago, that's how I fixed it on my system back then:

I have an ATI graphic card and in the Catalyst Control Center I turned off anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering (by setting it to "application managed"). You still can use antialiasing and anisotropic filtering in HL2, but have to set them in the options dialogue in the game itself. That solved all problems with freezing and stuttering on my system.

Old 09 September 2007   #54
Originally Posted by fuss: . I don't complain about the prize of the orange box itself, I don't think it's unreasonable. Once the game ships I expect there to be an option to buy TF2 separately for around half the prize of the orange box, and that would be all right - after all and as far as I understand it is "just" a mod that requires another full product (HL2) to run, so it should not cost as much as a full game. It just irks me that Valve is using the hype and anticipation around TF2 to lure many people into paying for stuff they don't need or paying again for stuff they already have. And those who buy the orange box right now are basically paying for a "beta key". Brilliant. From the marketing's point of view.

Remember that preorders for games are HUGE business (sell it before the reviews come out!) and those people are paying for jack shit until launch day for a game that sucks for all they know. At least Valve is giving us something to whet our appetites with. They're not "charging for a Beta". They're offering an incentive to preorder that's better then an incentive to preorder ever; you get to play the game early!

While it's not really the big, big savings they claim Orange Box is for people who already own HL2 and ep1, it is still a fair price for what you get. You aren't repaying for anything. You're just getting a worse discount then the new customers which IS kind of a crappy way to treat their loyal fanbase but they're not ripping us off either. I expect you'll be able to buy them seperately soon enough. Early adopters pay more in all things; that's nothing new.

Besides, these are video games; you don't *need* any of them. It's not like they're bundling Portal and Peggle with your water bill.

Old 09 September 2007   #55
Fuss, I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

You're not paying for a beta key. You're paying for the game just like everybody else will, AND you get a beta key for free. It's a bonus, and you don't pay any more than the people waiting for the final release(actually, you pay $5 less).

Also, realize that The Orange Box comes with 3 new games, HL2 Episode 2, Portal, and TF2. Three games for $50 is a bargain no matter how you look at it. On top of that, they throw in the two preceeding games in the HL2 series. Seems awfully generous to me.

I think they are trying to give the people who haven't played HL2 and HL2:Episode 1 a chance to get the full experience, and not just double-charging the rest of us for the same games.

Old 09 September 2007   #56
Yeah, I think I'm definetly going to Get this game once it comes out and I (hopefully) have a job as an animator! I hope I'll have time to play at that time. But I'd prefer not to get distracted by games until I have a job.....

Anyways, how does one get teh Beta version of this anyways?

Old 09 September 2007   #57
I was upset at first about the paying for beta too. But after noticing the games I got with it I did not mind to much. I fortuanatly had not payed for any of the games that came with it, so for me, it was a good deal. Do you still pay that much if you already have all the titles that come with it? I was not sure on that, cause I didn't have any, if so, I could see how you would not want to pay that much..

Old 09 September 2007   #58
Originally Posted by Melvil: Fuss, I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

You're not paying for a beta key. You're paying for the game just like everybody else will, AND you get a beta key for free. It's a bonus, and you don't pay any more than the people waiting for the final release(actually, you pay $5 less).

Also, realize that The Orange Box comes with 3 new games, HL2 Episode 2, Portal, and TF2. Three games for $50 is a bargain no matter how you look at it. On top of that, they throw in the two preceeding games in the HL2 series. Seems awfully generous to me.

I think they are trying to give the people who haven't played HL2 and HL2:Episode 1 a chance to get the full experience, and not just double-charging the rest of us for the same games.

Exactly.

And Fuss - if you just want TF2 and not the whole Orange Box, you can at any time buy it individually as a stand-alone game from Steam for $29.95.

For all those reasons, I really cant understand how anyone would be unhappy with the way Valve is marketing these releases.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 09 September 2007   #59
Originally Posted by RockinAkin: Exactly.

And Fuss - if you just want TF2 and not the whole Orange Box, you can at any time buy it individually as a stand-alone game from Steam for $29.95.

(...)

That's exactly what I cannot do right now. Once it's released I'm going to do just that, though, unless I hear really great things about Episode 2 and Portal, in that case I might get assed into buying the whole thing after all . The point is exactly this - unless I really missed something here - that I CANNOT pre-order TF2 as a standalone game for $29.95 and get into the beta as of now. I only have the option to pre-order the whole Orange Box for almost twice as much money, and I don't want the other stuff that comes with the Orange Box anyway! It's no biggie for me, since I can wait couple more weeks after all these years, but it definitely gives me the impression Valve wants to cash in by offering a beta access to all who pay "extra" for the Orange Box. I can understand pre-ordering of items which come in limited numbers at release date, to secure one for yourself. That's not the case anymore with Steam, everybody can log in on release date and download the game right away. If you still disagree with me, ask yourself and answer honestly to yourself, how many of you would have pre-ordered the Orange Box if you weren't given access to the TF2 beta for doing so?

Originally Posted by RockinAkin:
(...)

For all those reasons, I really cant understand how anyone would be unhappy with the way Valve is marketing these releases.

Do you now see, why people might not be happy with the way Valve is marketing these releases?

P.S. - By the way, it's 'fuss' with a small 'f', please . Call it a little quirk of mine .

Old 09 September 2007   #60
Originally Posted by fuss: If you still disagree with me, ask yourself and answer honestly to yourself, how many of you would have pre-ordered the Orange Box if you weren't given access to the TF2 beta for doing so?

I agree, I would not have. But at the same time it's just smart marketing on their part. I don't blame them for doing it, but at the same time I don't feel ripped off about it either. Cause I DID want to try those games, but was never really wanting to purchase them. This made it an easy way to get them all, and save a little money in doing it overall too. I can see where your coming from, but it is a good deal for some. And just smart marketing by valve.

Thread Closed share thread