Team Fortress 2 - CGSociety Players

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2007   #31
Loving it.

Lately I've been experimenting with just how awesome a team can be when I place teleporters in the right spots.

in CP games its a must to do so right from the start, but almost no one understands yet. Getting instantly to the front lines gives your team an incredible edge. It seems a lot of people dont know what teleporters are.

You also get way more points from a well used teleporter then from a good sentry gun.

I expect once the game comes out, they'll be used with regularity it certain positions that everyone will be used to, and part of the game will be to destroy the enemy teleporters.

Old 09 September 2007   #32
any news when it will be released on the 360?

Old 09 September 2007   #33
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/09/21

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! awesome.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 09 September 2007   #34
Originally Posted by DivideByZero: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/09/21

True, lol.

Old 09 September 2007   #35
I'm playing it, but it crashes every 10 minutes so my stats are messed up. As am I.

I'm hopeful that the recent amount of people playing TF2 will convince Valve to fix that stuttering bug here and in Episode One. If they ever find out what causes is (nobody seems to know).

Old 09 September 2007   #36
Originally Posted by aesir: I expect once the game comes out, they'll be used with regularity it certain positions that everyone will be used to, and part of the game will be to destroy the enemy teleporters.

Yeah, for sure. I was just playing and it's massively frustrating to have four engineers on your team and not a single teleport. All they want to do is build sentry guns. And here I am, plodding along as a heavy, taking half a minute to get to the contested point. If only there was some way of letting heavies jump instantly to the front lines... wait... no, apparently not.

As an engineer, a simple trick is to build a teleport entrance right outside your start at the beginning of the round, then go back inside and grab supplies. It's practically free. Just make a habit of doing it.

Originally Posted by DivideByZero: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/09/21

Oh, man, that is so true. Heavies are practically invincible already with a medic on them, and they can Ubercharge at any second. You gotta take them out first. Until people learn these simple things, TF2 on public servers is still going to be quite a mixed bag.

Old 09 September 2007   #37
Originally Posted by JeroenStout: I'm playing it, but it crashes every 10 minutes so my stats are messed up. As am I.

I'm hopeful that the recent amount of people playing TF2 will convince Valve to fix that stuttering bug here and in Episode One. If they ever find out what causes is (nobody seems to know).

Hey, this has only happened in TF2 to me (not EP1, DoD:s or CS:s). I tried everything, but it's some kind of a strange mix of a sound issue and memory leak. who knows.

But anyway, i found out that if you wait about 30-60 seconds after it hangs up with the stuttering sound, the game actually continues without crashing (if you bring up the task manager that might be different). This is true almost 9/10 times here.

Just try that. I confirmed it with a few people over at steampowered.

After the first hang, it seems not to give problems anymore and I can go on for hours. (well I haven't tried it for more than 2 hours)

Old 09 September 2007   #38
All week I've been waiting to play this game. Finally, I got it to run on my home computer without any major issues. True I had to turn off every background app that I could find on my PC, but none the less, it worked!

I had the stutter problem on CS:S and the fix seemed to resolve TF2 start up problems I was having as well. Here's what I did, hopefully it will help someone else ...
  1. Click on your Start bar and select Run ...
  2. in the dialog box type msconfig
  3. a System Configuration Utility dialog box will open
  4. select the Services Tab
  5. at the bottom select Hide All Microsoft Services
  6. Click Disable All
  7. Click Apply or OK
  8. restart your computer

Also I should note, that I have a very slow computer and this shouldn't be a problem for most players. But running TF2 on a 1.7GHz P4 with 512MB RAM and a GeForce FX 5900XT is probably a pretty substantial accomplishment.

Anyhoo ... great game! I didn't get a chance to try all the classes yet, but I favored the Heavy and Soldier for tonight. Great fun.

Old 09 September 2007   #39
this game is like crack, been playing it since the beta was release...

Old 09 September 2007   #40
Originally Posted by gent_k: Hey, this has only happened in TF2 to me (not EP1, DoD:s or CS:s). I tried everything, but it's some kind of a strange mix of a sound issue and memory leak. who knows.

But anyway, i found out that if you wait about 30-60 seconds after it hangs up with the stuttering sound, the game actually continues without crashing (if you bring up the task manager that might be different). This is true almost 9/10 times here.

Just try that. I confirmed it with a few people over at steampowered.

After the first hang, it seems not to give problems anymore and I can go on for hours. (well I haven't tried it for more than 2 hours)

I'll try it tomorrow... at the moment, running with -dxversion 81 (or whatever the command is) works... bit crappy at DirectX 8.

The game is brilliant, though. I love it when I'm on a killing spree and the Heavy goes: "Ahahahaaaa! Cry some more!" and when the doctor goes "Thank you, Herr Doctor". I've even caught the Doctor crying out: "Yeah! I am the übermensch!"

Old 09 September 2007   #41
I'll be getting the game, but won't be playing during beta.

SteamID: TheBitterPill

Old 09 September 2007   #42
Ive been waiting for this game for so long and I dont have the funds to get it...Ah, such is life. When some money does come in Ill be there. I do play alot of CS:S though. So if anyone wants to get a game going feel free to add me:

Steam ID: lucidity@thefragile.com

Old 09 September 2007   #43
Originally Posted by Animalator: Ive been waiting for this game for so long and I dont have the funds to get it...Ah, such is life. When some money does come in Ill be there. I do play alot of CS:S though. So if anyone wants to get a game going feel free to add me:

Steam ID: lucidity@thefragile.com

Yeah, same here. I'm sure the game will kick ass, but I waited for so many years, I can wait a couple more weeks or months. I also simply refuse to pay 50 bucks for the "right" to TEST a game. It's in Valve's own interest to make sure the game ships with as few bugs as possible, but now it looks like they actually found a way to charge testers for doing the testing for them. Nice. I also don't need to buy the "complete Half-Life 2 experience" AGAIN, and I am not interested in all the other stuff that comes with the orange box (maybe except for Portal, but it's not a must-have for me and I can wait until I can get it separately for only a few bucks).

Old 09 September 2007   #44
Originally Posted by fuss: Yeah, same here. I'm sure the game will kick ass, but I waited for so many years, I can wait a couple more weeks or months. I also simply refuse to pay 50 bucks for the "right" to TEST a game. It's in Valve's own interest to make sure the game ships with as few bugs as possible, but now it looks like they actually found a way to charge testers for doing the testing for them. Nice. I also don't need to buy the "complete Half-Life 2 experience" AGAIN, and I am not interested in all the other stuff that comes with the orange box (maybe except for Portal, but it's not a must-have for me and I can wait until I can get it separately for only a few bucks).

I dont feel like I've "paid to test" the game (the game is surprisingly rock-stable, I haven't encountered any bugs this past week of playing). If you pre-order now, you get a 10% discount on the orange box, the ability to try out Team Fortress 2 immediately, and on oct 10, you get TWO more totally new games - Portal and Half Life 2: Episode 2.

So for $45, you get Team Fortress, Portal, and Half Life Episode Two... and if you didn't have Half Life 2 and Episode One before, they're throwing them in to the package for free.

Seems like a perfectly fair deal to me. Valve has created a quality product, and selling those 3 games alone for $45 is probably the best deal you'll find in the gaming world for a while.

Just my 2c.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 09 September 2007   #45
Just got this game yesterday and I'm loving it. I joined the CGT group, saw a couple of guys from here in a server and joined them but got kicked out off the server by someone like 3 minutes in the game, don't know why... oh well, I'll kill you all later actually, it'll probably be the other way around...

Thread Closed share thread