Selling Models/Demo Reels

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
Selling Models/Demo Reels

Is selling persay a model that appears on your demo reel generally a bad idea???

I wouldn't think it would be, but could be wrong.

Also does anyone have any information on how many times realistic looking models actually sell on sites like Turbo Squid?

Any other information appreciated, thanks guys.

-Dave

Claude

09 September 2006
hey

I highly doubt anything on a demo reel is off limits to sell, UNLESS owned by copyright\obligation to a company\individual you made that piece for. The people who made the effects on superman, can have the assets on their reel, but I doubt they can sell it.
You making a model and putting it on your reel and selling the model as well seems like it would be your choice. since you still retain the rights.

09 September 2006
Cool thanks for the information, I'm looking into selling some models, to get rid of some heavy overdraft fees lol....

Claude

09 September 2006
Sell your models

SELL MAN! All mine are very detailed High resolution ones.

32K last year...

Cheers, THOM

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm

under "Include Authors" about halfway down TYPE:

The Cimarron group, enter!

09 September 2006
Can people actually make a living selling models on turbosquid alone?

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by nino18: Can people actually make a living selling models on turbosquid alone?

If ThommyBoy can clear 32k, then i'd say yes.

09 September 2006
ThommyBoy Good god, 32K??

Thats pretty respectable. I mean, even though TS is taking 50% of the price, I suppose its reasonable to assume that you wouldn't have sold as many without their search engine, marketing, etc.

Damn sure is food for thought though. Just wish most of the models I've constructed in the past weren't "work for hire" heh!

thanks for sharing.

Freelance Awesomeologist

09 September 2006
3 ways to sell

I offer to the clients three ways to pay:
I build the model and render an image or animation,and and keep the rights to the model.
I custom build the model and post it and they buy it online, along with others.
I sell them the model directly for BIG $$$ with exclusive ownership.

CLients go for the cheapest most of the time which allows me to re sell it .

Cheers, THOM

09 September 2006
Holy crap, after surfing Turbo Squid for a little while..one thing stands out to me:

Market Saturation!

That you were able to make that many sales says something about the quality of your models, as there seems to be 2-10 versions of everything I could think of.

This is gonna take a lot of planning to find a "niche". Heh.

Freelance Awesomeologist

11 November 2006
Post Not just turbosquid - there are better places

I apologize if this would sound like a blatant self-promotion (I am actually one of the owners of Exchange3d.com), but I recommend signing up for more than just turbosquid. Exchange3d.com now gives from 60% to 75% royalty. The more models you have there, the higher is the royalty. There are no restrictions to selling your models in more than one store.

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by ThommyBoy: I offer to the clients three ways to pay:
I build the model and render an image or animation,and and keep the rights to the model.
I custom build the model and post it and they buy it online, along with others.
I sell them the model directly for BIG $$$ with exclusive ownership.

CLients go for the cheapest most of the time which allows me to re sell it .

Cheers, THOM

That's awesome man. What are your top three sold models if I may ask?

11 November 2006
Interesting way for a modeling to get by, I didn't think it could be done full time. I may have to do some digging around in my model library... maybe something profitable there

12 December 2006
That really is amazing 32K for your model's, Congrate's.

I've currently been looking into turbo squid but was not sure about the whole thing until I heard 32K, heck I'll settle for 24K canadian for a full year, that's all I personally need to survive. I think I'll also check out that Exchange3D.com

The thing I really dont like about Turbo Squid is the amount of paper work needed to fill out for a non-us resident, it seem's like a lot of Tax Information but I'll put some work up and see how it goes.

01 January 2007
I agree with grishick, it is best to put your models on as many marketplace sites as you can.
I started posting my models on turbosquid and made a small sum of money and so I decided to expand to other sites. I now post my models on Falling Pixel (www.fallingpixel.com) as they are European based and offer a higher royalty payout than turbosquid, also there site is a lot less saturated and features more high quality models.

I havn't looked into exchange3d as of yet but I am sure I will get my models on there soon to maxamise my profits

I can't boast ThommyBoy earnings but its nice to get a little extra pocket money

01 January 2007
Just to add some information here-- I am the contact person at DAZ for artists looking to sell or broker models. Some of our top artists clear well more than the 32K mentioned, but we have the largest customer base of the 3-d model sites.
While DAZ only deals in exclusives (i.e. you cannot sell that specific model at Turbosquid, rendo, or any other 3-d brokerage site) we have no issue with using your model in your reel, or other projects, or with you brokering other items at other stores.
As for percentages, DAZ purchases some models outright, and brokers models as well. The standard broker agreement is 50/50, but the top 10 sellers get a 15% bonus and the top 11-20 get a 10% bonus...
Anyway... just wanted to throw in some confirmed info as one who actively recruits artists and buys models for sale.
If you have specific questions, or a model you would like to broker/sell, please email me at pa@daz3d.com. Also I frequent this forum to keep up on anything... If you do email me, let me know that you are on here, so I can put you in context.

Thread Closed share thread