Old 06-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #16
csmallfield
Spaceman

portfolio
Christopher Smallfield
VFX Supervisor / Artist
Freelance
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via AIM to csmallfield Send a message via MSN to csmallfield Send a message via Yahoo to csmallfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi-Juice
Great info -dc-...I just wish I had this information before deciding to go with college. Oh well.

Totally agree, in fact I'm practicing this right now. Took an UNPAID internship at a great studio. I'm totally stoked to be part of the team working on a studio short. FORGET ABOUT WORRYING ABOUT "HOW MUCH WILL I BE MAKING?". THE EXPERIENCE IS SO MUCH MORE VALUABLE!

As long as you don't starve.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #17
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

First of all, truly an excellent article -dc- . It should gain instant stickification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi-Juice
Totally agree, in fact I'm practicing this right now. Took an UNPAID internship at a great studio. I'm totally stoked to be part of the team working on a studio short. FORGET ABOUT WORRYING ABOUT "HOW MUCH WILL I BE MAKING?". THE EXPERIENCE IS SO MUCH MORE VALUABLE!

I have to say this is great for you Jedi-Juice. I do have a big concern about the -unpaid- part of it.

It is a great way of this industry to undercut itself. I don't see why this industry, if it takes itself seriously, would ever go for unpaid labour. I don't care if they pay a dollar (well actually I do) But I think people should be paid according to worth, and any labour is at least worth something...even it is a traineeship. Unpaid labour is a big step.

Again, Jedi-Juice, it's not directed at you, it must be an inspirational place where you can learn a lot, I just think the practice to not pay at all is Not Good.

I wonder about how other people, especially industry professionals, feel about this. Maybe you -dc- can shed your light on this?

Old 06-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #18
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Thread Stuck, great advice!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 06-21-2006 at 07:05 PM.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #19
-dc-
Know-it-All

Joe
Visual Effects Supervisor
Los Angeles, USA

Wow, glad to see so many responses, and it's a sticky! I will edit the post tonight to make the questions bold, and I'll add a few more answers. If anyone has any specific questions that I haven't already answered, post them and I'll include them when I update it tonight.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:08 PM   #20
RhysyngSun
Varied Artist

portfolio
Nathan Levesque
Boston, United%2BStates

Thanks for putting this together for us -dc-. Good, solid information, some new som old but still nice to have this resource to read when I'm having those days of self-doubt about my education and such.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 AM   #21
Essex
Frequenter

portfolio
Nathan Boyd
Los Angeles, USA

wow, thanks for the post. this was very informative.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:11 AM   #22
ChewyPixels
Available for freelance

portfolio
Jesus Bibian Jr
CG Artist
Freelance
Old Mill Creek, USA

Send a message via AIM to ChewyPixels Send a message via MSN to ChewyPixels
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintbox
First of all, truly an excellent article -dc- . It should gain instant stickification.

I have to say this is great for you Jedi-Juice. I do have a big concern about the -unpaid- part of it.

It is a great way of this industry to undercut itself. I don't see why this industry, if it takes itself seriously, would ever go for unpaid labour. I don't care if they pay a dollar (well actually I do) But I think people should be paid according to worth, and any labour is at least worth something...even it is a traineeship. Unpaid labour is a big step.

Again, Jedi-Juice, it's not directed at you, it must be an inspirational place where you can learn a lot, I just think the practice to not pay at all is Not Good.

I wonder about how other people, especially industry professionals, feel about this. Maybe you -dc- can shed your light on this?

Yes, I do agree with you for the most part. I guess it depends on the situation. Under my circumstances, I'm in the process of building my reel anyway...so working for nothing other than having pieces to add to my reel only benefits me.

Now, if the circumstances were different...say I already had a reel that I was happy with and ready to go, so to speak, then I'd definitely wouldn't even consider an unpaid internship and hold off and see if my reel would be good enough to land me that first job.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:07 AM   #23
Gmassk
Gonzalo "Angel" Marckwordt
Maya Instructor
Academy of Art University
Moraga, USA

Send a message via AIM to Gmassk
Thank you

I am a 3D artist fortunate to have the opportunity of waking up each and every morning loving going to work.

I appreciate the time you have placed forth in writing this FAQ doc. I will definitely pass it around. I myself went through what you have described and more...I now teach at the Academy of Art University and as a student there I learned early on about the value of knowing the proverbial "One will get, what one puts in" let me tell you. It was not easy. All the effort, the sleepless nights, the no food in the fridge, the going home at 3:00am after a 20 hour day at the lab etc...

I am now starting to enjoy the fruits of my labor. It was all worth it and I would do it again in a heat beat. My only hope is to be able to walk that same path inspiring a new generation of CG artists, leaving with them the concepts of perseverance, good attitude, and high energy. Just like you and many others have done in the past. Ed Kemper, Eric Spimfy, Jessi Lanou…

Cheers!

MayanArtist

Old 06-22-2006, 07:07 AM   #24
-dc-
Know-it-All

Joe
Visual Effects Supervisor
Los Angeles, USA

Alright, I just updated the main post to include a few more questions including software and internship questions. If anyone has anymore, post them here and I'll add them. Also went through and formatted the original post a little bit to make it easier to read.

Cheers!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #25
GoranNF
Know-it-All

portfolio
Goran Nawzad Fattah
Veldhoven, Netherlands

That was a very interesting read,it cleared up so many things for me,thanks!I have a question:
Since you're a prof,could I send my work to you so you can crit it (mainly 3d animation)?

Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 AM   #26
mmkelly011881
AHA! Pronoun Trouble

portfolio
Matt Kelly
Animator
Seattle, USA

Send a message via AIM to mmkelly011881
fantastic stuff dc.. really appreciate this

Old 06-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #27
MAKLtd
Old Timer

portfolio
Mak Wilson
Animation Director/Digital Puppeteer/Mo Cap artist
Mak Animated Kompany Ltd
Oswestry, United Kingdom

Very well summed up in the last paragraph of the FAQ. Whilst at Hensons Digital, that's exactly what I'd be looking for. The only thing that I'd add is that, if you don't get the job, remember, it may be nothing to do with your talent or experience but that your personality may not quite fit in to the team that's been put together. That may sound odd, but it is a factor and it's one you can't do much about. Good luck to all.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #28
HollyWoodland
Ad Astra Per Aspera

portfolio
Holly Woodland
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for such a great post -dc-!

I have one additional question though - I understand the type of work that should be on a demo reel for modelling, animation or rigging but what about for FX jobs?

Also, if I wanted to create a reel to show my rigging skills but don't have fantastic modelling skills then is there anywhere that I can get models? or should I still do the modelling myself? (even if it doesn't portray my best work?)

My degree was Computer Science so I don't know many people who would be able to help me out with the modelling aspect.

Advice from anyone would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks again

Holly

Old 06-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #29
Chris Bacon
Frame by Frame

portfolio
Chris Bacon
Animator
Double Negative VFX
London, United Kingdom

Hey, a quick question, Ive just graduated. I have a short film...now my situation is this I obiously want to get out there, but like many student I've finnished university with VERY little cash..now do you think its a good Idea to sent my film cv and coverletter out there, if I get an interview...then cool I can get the cash to get to it..however my problem is I wont be able to move closer to the job...Hense my reluctance to send it, right now Im interected in 2 things

1 Geting my name out there

2 Geting the experiance

.....I cant be the only graduate in this situation there must have been people who finnished Uni/Collage with no money left and managed to get out there,

PS. Some GREAT information there, and for someone like me, its all gold..cheers

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by Chris Bacon : 06-25-2006 at 10:28 PM.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #30
daraand
storyteller

portfolio
David Andrade
storyteller
Theory Animation
USA

Awesome post - absolutely, I think we need a stickie..

reply share thread