Ubisoft CEO: Cloud Gaming Will Replace Consoles After the Next Generation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Crotalis: The problem is, those aren't really "Adobe" alternatives. They're Photoshop alternatives. Which gets you off the CC subscription if you ONLY use Photoshop. Most of us need multiple programs within the Adobe product line, and many do not have suitable alternatives. Honestly, at my work we hardly ever use Photoshop anymore. We still need several other programs though, so we're stuck (for now) with the CC sub.
I agree that people seem to think photoshop is the only program made by Adobe
even if one assumes there are suitable photoshop replacements
( debatable IMHO),

What about indesign for complex page layout
and design in the print industry?

And I dont see anything close to an Illustrator replacment for vector art.

Now yes we have have Nuke from the foundry
and I even have an old seat of Shake 4 on my old mac machine but for indie one man operations like min
,After effects CS3 is all I need for comping colour, grading and most VFX.

5 Days Ago
Dude: The Linux folks have Scribus and Inkscape, for the 2 you mentioned - no idea how they compare though. You should check out the Ubuntu Studio distro.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by circusboy: That forcing to 'Cloud' absolutly might be a mistake because people will find alternatives before bowing down to the almighty cloud.
Eh? Autodesk *themselves* are moving to the cloud - I posted here about a web version of AutoCAD only a few weeks ago....?

My poor brain is getting confused...

5 Days Ago
Thats true. My point is that they may come to regret it. Yes big bad Autodesk may shoot themselves in the foot if that is to only solution they give users.

For big studios it maybe the same difference as they depend on valid maintenance  contracts anyway. 
But maybe smaller ones and single users will switch to other solutions and keep the competition alive and growing.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Dude: The Linux folks have Scribus and Inkscape, for the 2 you mentioned - no idea how they compare though.

If you have no idea how they compare then why even mention them
Mate??
Before Migrating into 3D/CG I was a professional Graphic Designer for print ,in the Washington DC metro area for 19 years
I left that industry in 2007.
The industry standard for people seeking employment
in every shop I worked was Fluency in the Adobe CS suite
( Photoshop Indesign,Illustrator) for linear color managed work flows

My son ,who is in law enforcement, has a  house mate, from high school,
who attended an accelerated two year program at Full sail University in 3D/CG from 2013 -2015
one of the areas where they focused heavily was the non 3D support
side of the industry and that involved becoming fluent in
the Adobe CS suite ( Photoshop Indesign,Illustrator).

Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: You should check out the Ubuntu Studio distro.

Why??

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Imhotep, I'm not getting your point - if Autodesk makes their software free, and Blender adoption goes up, then what is the implication that you're suggesting?

Ok, companies don't give away software that people will pay for, so basically when something that was previously retail becomes free it's because of lack of demand, when companies radically shift product pricing plans or product bundling, slash prices of products 2 years or less out from the launch of said products it's because of lack of demand.     

Basically, the fact that there's a level of universal rejection of "Rental Only Software" means that companies announcing "Rental Only Software" for the future at this point are tone deaf to the state of the software product sales business.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Makes a lot of sense in the context of *my* country. The game devs get paid, GUARANTEED (no fucking torrents etc.), and the buyer doesn't have to be a billionaire to play good-looking games, they just pay-as-they-play. I'm liking this on every level (Of course, there is the small matter of the internet bill... :(  )

This concept, btw, is not new - I'd heard of a company called Gaikai waaaay back when, doing this.
Billionaire? I have a gaming PC, and it didn't cost all that much. In fact, Consoles are cheaper, and you can play on them too, you get what you pay for.
I have no issue with streaming, to be honest, if that company wants to do business that way it is their right. As long as I get what I pay
for and the industry is up-to-date enough to handle it, it’s no issue.

5 Days Ago
Quote: Ok, companies don't give away software that people will pay for, so basically when something that was previously retail becomes free it's because of lack of demand

I don't know how accurate that is. Look at Unity and Unreal Engine 4. You don't have to pay until you've hit certain thresholds. The thresholds for both are pretty high too, so really, for a significant portion of their use base, they pretty much ARE giving the software away for free.

Look at Black Magic studio giving away Fusion. That's a remarkably powerful software that alot of folks (myself included) actually WERE paying for ...

As I mentioned earlier, Adobe, while initially claiming all sorts of things from "loss prevention" to "better, more responsive updates" have basically admitted that they are able to bring in more money, more reliably with this format and that it works out much better for their shareholders. They basically all but admitted that people were not upgrading often enough for Adobe to make money under their previous model and that the CC sub. has fixed that for them.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: If you have no idea how they compare then why even mention them
Mate??

Before Migrating into 3D/CG I was a professional Graphic Designer for print ,in the Washington DC metro area for 19 years
I left that industry in 2007.
Then why don't you try them out for yourself? People who write the software want it to be *used* - it wouldn't be any point writing crappy software, would it?

I mentioned UbuntuStudio because it has those and a TON of other cool softwares out-the-box. Not to mention that it's FREE, price wise, and will run live, ie. from the DVD, without touching your main system, if you want to try it out

5 Days Ago
I do not see this happening until the issue of NN is resolved and ISP consumers of the (u.S) population are not getting throttled and charged by the MB. As long as data-caps are around, this utopia being promoted is simply not going to blossom.

Visual Engineering, Inc.
Creative Communication | Industry Consultation

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Then why don't you try them out for yourself?  

No need  to do so mate
My industry experience and the more recent experience
of  university graduates,such as My son's Flat mate,
tell me all I need to know about the viability of those alternative
Design and vector art programs for professional
level client based design work.

Originally Posted by crotalis: "As I mentioned earlier, Adobe, while initially claiming all sorts of things from "loss prevention" to "better, more responsive updates" have basically admitted that they are able to bring in more money, more reliably with this format and that it works out much better for their shareholders. They basically all but admitted

Quite true of course
Just as Maxon has assured a steady revenue stream by thralling their loyalists into their MSA payment scheme and offering lackluster ,ornamental pooware updates that are still years behind the other major packages in the critical areas of VFX.and Character animation.

Originally Posted by Bobozobo: "I do not see this happening until the issue of NN is resolved and ISP consumers of the (u.S) population are not getting throttled and charged by the MB. As long as data-caps are around, this utopia being promoted is simply not going to blossom."

As I have stated in other posts,
I am perfectly happy that the preparation of most foods assume we all have unlimited access to Water&Electricity or
natural gas under "normal conditons" because it is mandated in modern first world building codes.

When similar mandates for broadband access becomes as ubiquitous 
as other modern utilities I will gladly embrace everything being 
in the cloud assuming some ,yet to be invented ,invulnerable Data & security encryption comes with it.

4 Days Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: No need  to do so mate
My industry experience and the more recent experience
of  university graduates,such as My son's Flat mate,
tell me all I need to know about the viability of those alternative
Design and vector art programs for professional
level client based design work.
Your son's flat mate has tried them out??

1 Day Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: I agree that people seem to think photoshop is the only program made by Adobe
even if one assumes there are suitable photoshop replacements
( debatable IMHO),

What about indesign for complex page layout
and design in the print industry?

And I dont see anything close to an Illustrator replacment for vector art.

Now yes we have have Nuke from the foundry
and I even have an old seat of Shake 4 on my old mac machine but for indie one man operations like min
,After effects CS3 is all I need for comping colour, grading and most VFX.

QuarkXPress is still around (used to be the unbeaten king for page layouts before indesign).
Not sure how good it is these days.

You might be surprised at how Illustrator still lacks some basic things one would take for granted. Its actually not that advanced...
Just look at how long it took them (adobe) before they added fillet/chamfer tools.
Also, Illustrator still doesn't support 16bit (per channel) colors! Which is really annoying if you use gradients (which are used a lot in Illustrator).
CorelDraw is a possible replacement, depending on what you need (it also has it's limits and can be buggy on some systems, at least last time I used it many years ago)

If all you need to do is comping color and grading, then there is Hitfilm and Davinci Resolve ... both even have free versions available (not sure of the limitations in the free versions).

Plenty of photoshop alternatives out there that will be more than good enough for most ppl out there... except for print/press (nothing comes close to photoshop's color management, afaik).
Maybe affinity designer has good color management? I certainly hope so if they want to live up to the hype...

Last edited by ACiD80 : 1 Day Ago at 08:05 PM.

1 Day Ago
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Dude: The Linux folks have Scribus and Inkscape, for the 2 you mentioned - no idea how they compare though. You should check out the Ubuntu Studio distro.

I have no clue about scribus, but inkscape don't even come close to illustrator. Its ok as a tool for some simple vector art for on yr personal website or something but not more than that.
Its especially worthless in terms of print/press.

reply share thread