Whats going on with car models?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Weeks Ago
@gandhics
For personal none commercial work or prototyping a game dev idea?!

If as I had understood correctly, the OP would struggle to model eiither of the aforementioned vehicles so rather than pay someone at prohibitive rates modeling them from scratch why not take advantage of a much cheaper option plus you've a choice of downloading an unsmoothed base mesh, at the very least a good self learning tool for the novice studying topology/geometry design...etc. besides it's not really apparent how these assets will be used in the first place, hence my initial advice.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by moogaloonie: i can't wait for the day that the companies that make newspaper boxes and parking meters and door handles get in on this racket. If military contractors can claim ownership of designs paid for by the public, maybe the US mint should crack down on the unlicensed use of the likeness of paper money in TV shows and movies, too. And all of that clothing you see on TV and in movies, surely someone owns those designs also.
I think the issue for car companies is that their designs are often quite distinctive. Also their logo's are quite prominently displayed on the front.
Also remember in shows and movies where 'suits' are quite prominent. Armani, or other tailored garment manufacturers are credit-listed.
Even to the point as to which actor was wearing them sometimes.
So check that point again.

Basically what it all comes down to this.
Any manufacturer -of anything-  can try to enforce their copyright no matter what it is. Any artist can choose to ignore it. So its who has the money to win if it goes to court.
Also you can factor in which country you live in as well. Some countries just can't or don't enforce this stuff for anybody.
To sum up. It doesn't matter how 'right' you are.
Its how far are you willing to go to defend yourself -artist or copyright owner- as it all comes down to money in the end and who is willing to spend it to be 
in the 'right'...

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by sacboi: @gandhics
For personal none commercial work or prototyping a game dev idea?!

If as I had understood correctly, the OP would struggle to model eiither of the aforementioned vehicles so rather than pay someone at prohibitive rates modeling them from scratch why not take advantage of a much cheaper option plus you've a choice of downloading an unsmoothed base mesh, at the very least a good self learning tool for the novice studying topology/geometry design...etc. besides it's not really apparent how these assets will be used in the first place, hence my initial advice.
"personal none commercial work or prototyping a game dev idea" doesn't make you free from copyright issue.
Often people think this money issue. But, it is not.
It is about control.

If you make a nice car model and enjoy alone, who would care?
Other than that, making money doesn't matter.

3 Weeks Ago
Sometimes its pure money,  sometimes  it  is a brand identity/affiliation & control issue or some combination of both.

In the current online climate of people trying to "monetize"
everything they put online,
it is of little surprise that we see more rigid enforcement by Trademark & copyright owners of every type, not just Automobiles.

Using someone else's brand to add value to your monetary solicitation or promotion of your commercial interests
has long been not legal in many nations.

I am reminded of the "Star Trek Axanar"Debacle.
The  sheer hubris of people who would establish an entire commercial studio for the purpose making films based
on IP they did not own
was bad enough.

However the Axanar  Rabble went about raising Hundreds of thousands  of USD on crowd funding sites.
While claiming to be the sole arbiters of what a "true" Star trek film should be like, and publicly Disparaging Paramount inc.
the very  owners of the IP they were using without permission.

Last edited by ThreeDDude : 3 Weeks Ago at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling

2 Weeks Ago
years ago I was into Flight Simulator, there were many airliners painted after real world companies, guys would fly real world routes etc.  Well one of those airline companies suddenly decided to throw a major hiss fit over use of their logo even though nearly ALL of the models were free, they issued cease and desist order from their lawyer to several websites and individuals from said company saying they WOULD pursue legal action if those models were not removed. they did not want money, they just did not want their logo used PERIOD. needless to say it was done and said company became persona non grata in the flightsim community. 

so, in short and as said above, it is about control of their image/logo.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by circusboy: I think the issue for car companies is that their designs are often quite distinctive. Also their logo's are quite prominently displayed on the front.
Also remember in shows and movies where 'suits' are quite prominent. Armani, or other tailored garment manufacturers are credit-listed.
Even to the point as to which actor was wearing them sometimes.
So check that point again.
You are right about the clothing being credited, car companies have also been credited for as long as I remember.  But you seem to be referring to the stars' wardrobe or the stars' car, things so prominently featured as to necessitate a conscious choice on the part of the producers. Those are all likely pre-arranged deals.  I recall Volkswagen not wanting Michael Bay to use the Beetle in the new Transformers movie.  But does that prohibition also pertain to incidental cars appearing in the background? 
I guess what I'm saying is that CG artists, game designers etc. are trying to recreate the world they live in. No car company would have ever thought to complain about one of their cars being passed by in a live action film 20 years ago. But if that scene becomes a VFX shot and you want to show that car flying through the air, then you'll need a model of it.  And supposedly that is where the copyright infraction occurs. I'm only thinking that taken to its logical conclusion any production set in the world could eventually become financially infeasible.

2 Weeks Ago
There is a difference between an actual car of a manufacturer beeing used as a simple background prop in a film and someone recreating the design of a car and selling the model. In the later case the manufacturer might acually loose the copyright to his designs if they do not act against infringement.
I don't know what legal legs a company has to prevent the use of it's products in a movie, chances are that it is simply much easier and cheaper to do with the support of the manufacturer instead of against it.

2 Weeks Ago
Wallace and Gromit have a SMUG fridge.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by SD3D: Wallace and Gromit have a SMUG fridge.
Via a cooperative SMEG.
http://www.smeg50style.com/oc/smega...th-smeg-fridge/

As long as there is a mutual  agreement - no fowl.

2 Weeks Ago
I saw part of a festival film the other day where there was an older Citroen car speeding and driving crazily
through the streets of a European city for about 4 minutes followed by a
camera on a another car.

In total, I saw maybe 100 different model/maker parked cars being driven past, and several near-collisions
with a variety of other cars being driven

So - did the filmmakers get permission for every car that was in this 4 minute shot? All 700 or 800 of the parked cars that were driven past?

Hollywood is a different beast - Hollywood gets paid 10s of Millions of Dollars to deliberately put Apple, BMW, Mercedes, Armani crap into their movies.

The crediting here is required because the manufacturer paid lots of money to have the product displayed.

Also - what law anywhere states that you need any kind of permission to show an everyday object that exists in the real world in a film or TV show?

Maybe if you had a shot of a BMW hitting another car and bursting into a big fireball - whereas a real BMW would not burst into flames at all - then maybe
the car maker could argue that you made their car look far less safe
than it is.

But seriously, requiring permission to show a completely public, out-in-the-open everyday object - car, furniture,
clothing, watch whatever?

What law in what country actually requires that to happen? I've never seen one.

2 Weeks Ago
It's more about how the laws are interpreted and how the attorneys can argue how the current laws applied to their current case should be interpreted. There are big dollars available to the big IP holders, so users may just loose based on "not having enough money to play their hand" - poker reference.

its all just business.

1 Week Ago
Quote: So - did the filmmakers get permission for every car that was in this 4 minute shot? All 700 or 800 of the parked cars that were driven past?

Probably not. Typically, if a car/product is in the background (with no logo visibly displayed) and not onscreen for very long, you're usually ok. In your example, it's likely they either got the release for the Citroen, OR are just playing the odds (as XLNT-3d mentions). 

1 Week Ago
Its all pretty controlled by somebody if the project is large enough to be 'visible' (and therefore get in trouble if not trying to play by the rules).
They are pretty careful about 'what' gets on screen. You come across film shoots all the time here in Montreal.  My wife used to work on them.
Very controlled. And car wrangling contracts signed. And not just randomly pointing the camera at 'anything'.

Anyone remember the original Knight Rider TV show for the 80s?!
Remember how careful they were *never* to have any other 'Trans Am' anywhere in the shot? just Kitt?! (which was basically a 'Trans Am' with funny lights)
Even though this was one of the most popular cheap muscle cars of the 80's and they where *everywhere* in reality.
As a kid I thought to myself: "I see what they did there..."

Last edited by circusboy : 1 Week Ago at 03:50 PM.

1 Week Ago
I think it is also important to note that more than a few global auto brands we see today can be linked too wartime manufacturing specifically those companies supporting Axis aligned regimes during WW2. Indeed BMW as one such company listed in the OP was contracted to produce aircraft engines for the Luftwaffe amongst other assorted equipment using primarily forced labour. So highly probable to assume that a renown manufacturer will not in the following context exert it's control protecting copyright infringments when for example 3d models of a Porsche designed Tiger 2 or Skoda T-38 or Volkswagen Kubel or Mitsubishi Zero...etc are currently residing online in various resource libraries awaiting purchase. Anyway as far as I'm aware the statute of limitations for German WW2 patents was 70yrs so if like me you're into modelling German tanks, I'd say pretty much good to go.

Last edited by sacboi : 1 Week Ago at 07:07 PM.

1 Week Ago
Then, in Near future can the animal activist make problem for the animal models? or even harsh you cannot mention a persons name . because it is someones name . He owned it. then if someone shoot a film in a country and when you have to pay 30% of your earning to the country. just for shooting or may be if you are showing and earth model you can only show your own country not any other country else you need to have permission for them. 

No wonder why darkweb exists.

reply share thread