Samsung Galaxy S9 and VR - questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: OOO! Is that so??!! I always thought a VR PC would be a BOMB, like, many thousands of dollars,...latest GTX1080 and all.... Thanks for the info and for correcting me, man!
What's the *min* spec one needs for doing VR, vid card wise? And mobo and CPU-wise as well...?

The minimum spec GPUs are GTX960/1060 and the AMD R9 480. Here's an example of a build:https://www.digitaltrends.com/virtu...ap-vr-ready-pc/ bear in mind this is an oldish article (the GTX 1060 has been released since it was written) and component part prices fluctuate quite a bit, for example Nvidia cards have spiked in value lately because people are buying them for industrial bitcoin mining. Just do some research.

Unless you live in North Korea I think you should be able to order an Oculus pretty easily.

02 February 2018
OK, I took a look - the price is nowhere NEAR that much around here for those specs :( (It's over $600 WITHOUT the video card). Thanks anyway...

(and Oculus btw, is about $600 by itself! )

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: OK, I took a look - the price is nowhere NEAR that much around here for those specs :( (It's over $600 WITHOUT the video card). Thanks anyway...

(and Oculus btw, is about $600 by itself! )

Depending on currency/tarrifs/postage costs these things can fluctuate a bit, but a lot of those things can be offset by purchasing through regional suppliers. You'll have to figure it out, but either way a desktop will be a much better investment than a phone if you're planning on doing anything serious with it since not only is it far more capable but also much cheaper to upgrade being modular.

Really? The Oculus is listed for 399 on Amazon.

03 March 2018
Yes, really

...but a phone would have the camera too, very importantly, cause making small movies is something right at the TOP of my mind (and the Galaxy S9+'s cameras are top-of-the-line, according to Samsung at least) - my movies would be a combination of live and CG - see, if I buy the phone then I can do live but not CG, and if I don't and buy a PC instead, then I can do CG but not live..... quite a quandary!
....and all this is just a pipedream anyway, idea in my head and finished movie are 2 completely different things.....for one thing - how the fuck does one get hold of actors?

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: ....and the Galaxy S9+'s cameras are top-of-the-line, according to Samsung at least...

Top of the line compared to what? I'm sure its nice compared to other built in cams in mobile phones and you can make lovely selfies for instagram/facebook with it... but that's about it.
Cams in mobile phones are crap compared to 'normal' cams. Sure you can make a movie with then. You can even make a movie with a fisher price camera if you want... just don't expect allot of quality and creative/production possibilities using them.
Looking at the focal alone you should already realize this...

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: how the fuck does one get hold of actors?

Hire them... which costs money. (convince someone to invest in your movie?)

Or show them some of your amazing previous work... and maybe it's so amazing they are willing to do it for free.
Good luck with that though, you'll understandably annoy/insult them more than anything else.

Or ask friends/family to help you out and act for your movie.
This is how most people with a small budget start.

reply share thread