Mill Film To Hire 500 VFX Crew At New Australia Studio

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Mill Film To Hire 500 VFX Crew At New Australia Studio

Hi Guys, Us you know (if not so now you will ) Mill will open studio in Australia "Mill Film To Hire 500 VFX Crew At New Australia Studio" (more information you can find here ).
But I'm wondering:
How It will effect UK and Canada? Coz 500 it is big a number and I don't believe what New Zealand and Australia have (will have) so many available artists.
Why Australia? I thought Canada and UK was FVX friendly country, and they have much more CG artist/ schools.
And how difficult to get Australia work visa for EU?

I'm new-ish in CG industry so sorry if this questions looks strange

02 February 2018
Why Australia? Because VFX artists looove having intercourse with Kangaroos. Ha ha ha.

Maybe James Cameron needs a VFX army for the hugely expensive Avatar 2, 3 and 4 production and Australia gave the best tax credits or other incentives of any country?

AFAIK Cameron was at one point trying to get Chinese film investors to finance the new Avatars.

Or maybe it is some other new film trilogy or franchise like Avatar that is in the works, and again, Australia was deemed the most economic place to do the VFX?

02 February 2018
500 would be a peak estimate, to be blunt film vfx can be done with very small crews now. Have to agree , why on earth would you build a studio, in the middle of nowhere, with no pool of artists. The reason Adelaide will of got picked is no doubt due to massive tax breaks on offer and who knows maybe theres a 3 deal movie about to be shot down in Adelaide, so maybe the plan is for a pop up studio that can be closed after delivery ......

b

reply share thread