workflow and best practices

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
workflow and best practices

Hello I am trying to collect info on CGI best practices or standards in the professional environment. Wondering if anyone knows of a good resource for this.
Thank you

02 February 2018
Search for "making of", there are in-depth dvd's on this topic.
It's important that your pre-production is solid, as if it's not good, everything else will fail. Good idea, concept design.

It's often pre-productionm production and post-production
http://www.upcomingvfxmovies.com/wp..._timelines.jpeg

CG is a broad field, maybe you could be more specific what interests you in particular?

Last edited by mister3d : 02 February 2018 at 05:21 PM.

02 February 2018
Thank you for the response. I will check out some of your suggestions. To be more specific I am looking at rendering environments and products for clients (still images) and wanted to know if there are any industry standards or "best practices" that exist. For example how to best work with CAD files, approval processes, standards for final output sizes, things of this nature. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

02 February 2018
There is some cool info on internet already when it comes to archivis and product visualisation is similar. Like here:http://www.meerblick-kommunikation....visualisierung/

If you are thinking about running your studio it is good to gain some experience in a company which makes the kind of projects which you want to make. You can also find some companies and offer them to make a project for free, or for a low pay and you will be able to exercise all the issues which come along while cooperating with a customer.

When it comes to CAD drawings, for example, there are mostly unusable as ready models or "lines" to import and model objects basing on them. So this is only a blueprint for modeling. Also, this is important to make sure that they are complete and no information is missing, so you won't miss the deadline because you got stuck. Output format depends on client needs, it's ok to ask. Sometimesyou need to talk with printing company about the details. This is all matter of experience.

You will figure it out the fastest taking some freelance jobs if they are for free nobody will kill you for making a mistake. Unfortunately, my first freelance project was a paid one, with a tight deadline and not everything went well because of lack of experience. I wouldn't take it again even now, with the terms I got from the client.

reply share thread