Software for designing castles and fortresses

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Software for designing castles and fortresses

Hi!
I'm a software developer of the Dom-3D.
I have a dream to create the software for designing castles and fortresses.
The designer creates a 3D model of the castle. The program allows you to present the model in different styles:
-English
-French
-Spanish
-Roman
-Chinese
-Persian
etc.

In addition, in the same style (English gothic), different options may be available, for example windows.

Also for Doors Wall, Roof, Pillars, Columns, Arch
Software can to create 3d model Low Poly.
How much can it be interesting for designers?

How it works you can watch the video
Fence 3D modeling -https://youtu.be/LxpmcuW1EPQ

Manager of furniture facades -https://youtu.be/9iwkCkF52hk

Last edited by dom3d : 2 Weeks Ago at 08:33 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
Dom3d looks interesting - I watched your Youtube videos. Reminded me a little of ArchiCAD. I like that it can also be used to model interiors.

Is everything parametric in Dom3D? Does it place ready-made polygon models in place, or does it generate them procedurally based on parameters? Window shapes for example?

If Dom3D is fully procedural and parametric, and your castles and fortresses also continue this trend, then yes, the software could be very interesting for Game developers, Film/Television work, Fantasy fans and so on.

A very powerful function would be the ability to DESIGN your own parametric/procedural objects in Dom3D if it cannot already do that. People use Houdini for that, in game level design for example.

Indy game developers might prefer an easier software than Houdini, so maybe Dom3D could be right for them. One of the biggest costs in making 3D games is creating good looking 3D buildings, cities, streets, interiors and so on.

The more procedural and parametric your software is, the more game level stuff can be designed in it - that might be worth a lot of money if you can do that. For example a tool that lets you lay out streets and buildings into a small town or city would be very powerful for game design. Have you played Dishonored 2: Death Of The Outsider? Take a look at the city level designs in that game for reference.

You should also post about Dom3D on game development forums. There may be indy game developers who want to use such a software to quickly create interiors and exteriors for games, especially if they are low-polygon as your website suggests.

3 little suggestions:

1) I can't see the price of Dom3D on your website - it wants me to login first when I click "Buy". You should see the price immediately when you click "Buy".

2) You should design yourself a nicer website - you'll sell more licenses if you do. For example, on the start page you may want to put some Vray rendered exterior and interior models from your gallery, not the flat shaded models from the OpenGL viewport. Or put rendered and OpenGL side by side. To show that the models created actually look good when rendered in some other 3D soft or inside a game engine.

3) Your software could, in future, include things like a VR walkthrough mode that lets you walk around your designs, and some sexier looking OpenGL shaders, shadows and lighting.

Good luck! Dom3D looks promising - maybe you'll be the ArchiCAD of the game design world some day.

2 Weeks Ago
Skeebertus.
Thanks for the very-very good answer and suggestions!
I'm happy.

--------------------
Is everything parametric in Dom3D? Does it place ready-made polygon models in place, or does it generate them procedurally based on parameters? Window shapes for example?

Yes, all models are parametric.
Solid has a set of surfaces, on the basis of which a Mesh is generated.
The Mesh has nodes with normals and texture coordinates.

Currently, you can do export models in .3ds .obj files.
Dom-3d has its own Geometric Kernel.

Last edited by dom3d : 2 Weeks Ago at 07:10 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by dom3d: Is everything parametric in Dom3D? Does it place ready-made polygon models in place, or does it generate them procedurally based on parameters? Window shapes for example?

Yes, all models are parametric.
Solid has a set of surfaces, on the basis of which a Mesh is generated.
The Mesh has nodes with normals and texture coordinates.

Currently, you can do export models in .3ds .obj files.
Dom-3d has its own Geometric Kernel.

If you have a good parametric modeling and meshing engine in place, I would advise you to really develop that heavily, because THAT is what is lacking in most 3D software.

For example, if you could make your own parametric generators in Dom3D for creating custom chairs, tables, couches, lamps and so on with a lot of possibilities for real design variation, that would probably find use in Architectural Visualization - which you are aiming for already.

But this stuff is also useful for creating 3D games and VR experiences - nobody wants to waste weeks of 3D modeling time in game development for modeling furniture from scratch. It takes a long time and costs a lot of money.

So if you could create a sophisticated "Visual Editor" for being able to define your own parametric 3D designs and parametric 3D object generators from zero, that has many many applications for many different 3D fields.

If your 3D mesh ouput is low poly and clean topology and UV mapped right away, the area of applications grows even more.

So if I were you I would try to create a CAD tool that lets you define a basic 3D structure for any kind of 3D object - a chair for example has a seat, a backrest, optional armrests, 3 - 4 legs at the bottom and maybe structural pieces connecting the chair legs. Basically a number of "elements" that can have different "shapes", but connect together "in a defined structure" to become "a 3D chair" in the end.

And then once you have defined the basic "structure" or "skeleton" or "structural logic" of the 3D object, you get lots of parametric options to play with cross-sections, repeating sub-objects/surface structures and so on.

This would be a fantastic modeling tool to have. That approach could then be used for building almost everything quickly - including your castles and fortresses idea.

3D modeling right now takes far too many hours, too many mouse clicks, costs far too much money and creates too many mesh topology, UV mapping and polygon count problems along the way.

Solve that, and you'll have more than a small CAD software - you'll have a powerful new parametric CAD design tool that has good uses across the whole spectrum of 3D content creation.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to produce something great!

Last edited by skeebertus : 2 Weeks Ago at 02:19 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
Skeebertus
I want to express my admiration!
You have a very high level of knowledge of 3d modeling.
Your advice is expensive! I need to think very seriously.
You directly read my thoughts. And where you see beyond my wildest plans!
I have a long dream - to create CAD, where the merits of Corel and AutoCAD were combined.
Designing and modeling are completely different processes.
And it is very difficult to create a program that will suit the designer and designer.
But, it seems to me, I understood how to do it.
My partner Andrew Shpagin is the chief developer of 3D-Coat.
We have a very fruitful cooperation.

By the way, I worked with Cobalt 3D and TurboCAD for 4 years. And even before 3 years of EC-CAD.

2 Weeks Ago
It seems interesting but if this is a commercial product then I worry you may be developing something so niche that you may have trouble making it a viable business. House and office building tools can sell large numbers because these buildings are being made regularly. Gothic buildings are exceptionally rare in comparison, and for games, even there the game artists already have a large number of architectural elements to pick and choose from.

2 Weeks Ago
Imashination,Thank you.

Yes you are right.
This is a niche product.
It seems to me that at present it is very difficult to enter the market with universal CAD.
In the future, success will be achieved by instruments for a narrow niche market.
3Ds Max is very good CAD, but for designing buildings it is better to use Cinema 4D or ArchiCAD.
For modeling people or animals - ZBrush or 3D-Coat.
And for furniture Dom3D.

Each program has pros and cons. It is impossible to create a universal product that will be very good for all industries.
Gothic I gave only as an example.
The designer can also give intruments for the designing of futuristic buildings (using algorithms) with the style of Zaha Hadid.

2 Weeks Ago
There are already many CAD tools for designing just about anything in 3D, from airliners to car engines to water pumps to wristwatch mechanisms.

What there is very little of is a good CAD tool that lets you create an actual, completely custom polygon 3D object GENERATOR whose structural logic you define yourself.

For example, if I'm creating a 3D fantasy game that has 70 types of swords in it, I don't want to model 70 3D swords one at a time.

I want to be able to create a custom 3D Sword generator that then lets me create 100s of different 3D swords quickly by just playing around with parameters.

Same with 3D game guns for a scifi game for example. I would rather set up 6 - 7 parametric generators for different weapons types than have to model 55 weapons in 3D one at a time.

Same with a 3D game that has a 3D city in it with 150 different buildings. I would rather create 10 different building exterior generators than have to create 150 X 3D buildings completely manually.

Houdini is going in this direction, but Houdini is too big and complex for the average 3D creator.

A CAD tool that lets you create you own, custom GENERATORS for many types of 3D objects from zero would, in my opinion, be very very useful in many different 3D fields.

The one where it is needed the most right now is probably INDY GAME development. That's where the budget for employing, say, 30 fulltime 3D modeling artists just isn't there.

GENERATOR based 3D modeling would allow small game development teams to produce pretty large, complex games, just as back in the 8-Bit/16-Bit days 2 to 5 people could create a complete commercial game.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: What there is very little of is a good CAD tool that lets you create an actual, completely custom polygon 3D object GENERATOR whose structural logic you define yourself.

The industry standard for procedural and parametric design in architecture is Grasshopper for Rhino. Most large buildings designed today have are designed at least in some part with parametric tools; there are many professional plug ins that can do things like automate structural properties or procedurally make produce spaces according to specific acoustical outcomes. There are also plenty of other building automation tools, for example city planners can use software that attempts to predict how cities will look according to hypothetical building regulations.

If you're just wanting to generate 70 swords then even Maya or Blender have the procedural tools to do that. Textures? Substance Painter. Terrains? World Creator. There's a huge number of tools out there, and tiny indy studios already work with them. No Man's Sky was worked on by four people until Sony stepped in. Houdini may be complex, but it's proportional to its capability; if you want a simple procedural modeling program will come at the expense of flexibility.

2 Weeks Ago
A very cool idea, but I think the market is very narrow for such tool.

The only thing which comes to my mind is gaming industry, maybe trying to connect the project to game engines like Unity or Unreal would be a good move.

But also if you can technically create a parametric modeling soft which creates castles, it won't be a problem with making something wider, and also add a possibility of creating contemporary buildings in different styles like the Mediterranean, Pueblo, Victorian etc. That would be a very cool productboth for gaming industry where you don't have to create a building with any exact features, just a general look is needed, and for archvisindustry, where there is demand for quick modelling of secondary buildings, which appear in background and don't need to have any "fixed" detail. I've seen software like this already but it created very primitive simplified models.

reply share thread