Asking help for personal projects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Asking help for personal projects

Should I ask people for help on personal projects? I'd do them myself but I'd like help for three reasons.
1. My projects are about look development and I'm fine with doing textures and grooming myself. Not so much with modeling.
2. I can't find the right model for one of my projects, so I'd have make one myself.
3. The combined process of modeling, texturing, and look development is laborious, especially when dealing with photoreal characters and creatures.

02 February 2018
If you can't find what you want you have have to pay somebody to model it for you.

02 February 2018
Hey, what are you looking to model? I'm in school right now working on a Simulation, Animation and Gaming degree at EMU. I am always looking for the opportunity to expand my portfolio. If its a reasonably scale project I would not charge you but I would definitely would like to be credited for any work. Let me know if you are interested and depending on what you are looking to do I will let you know if I can commit or not.

02 February 2018
You could ask someone if you can use their existing 3d model for your lookdev project.

BUT, you'd have to credit the modeler in your resulting images (e.g. lion 3D model created by Jim K. Swanman), and that 3D modeler might in turn ask to be able to display the resulting renders on his or her site, crediting YOU for the texturing, lookdev and render work of course.

Other than that, yeah, you're either gonna have to buy a 3D model somewhere online or pay someone to make one for you.

If you are very very lucky, someone may be looking to add a 3D model just like you need to their modeling portfolio, and may then model it for you.

But I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. The model also may not have the quality you are looking for.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by jcalvachi: Hey, what are you looking to model? I'm in school right now working on a Simulation, Animation and Gaming degree at EMU. I am always looking for the opportunity to expand my portfolio. If its a reasonably scale project I would not charge you but I would definitely would like to be credited for any work. Let me know if you are interested and depending on what you are looking to do I will let you know if I can commit or not.
Can you model an animal for a vfx film like Life After Pi and The Jungle Book?

02 February 2018
Im currently developing my first short film on THE platform for online collaboration projects: http://www.artella.com
Although it is easiest to find animators, there are also a lot of modelers and other artists looking to join a fun project, be it just for fun, for the experience or a nice portfolio piece.
Its still free, since its in beta, so you should definitely check it out, if you are serious about your project.

reply share thread