Recommendations for Drawing Tablet

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Recommendations for Drawing Tablet

Looking for some help. My daughter aspires to apply to study a Computer Arts degree next year, failing that she knows she wants a career in digital arts field / graphic design. Iím looking to get her first graphics tablet, ideally something that would see her through uni. I know the uni she would like to get to only supports Wacom drives on their computers, so it would be good to get recommendations for a mid range model from this manufacturer. I have absolutely no knowledge in this areas and see there are many models fro £80 - £3000 and sometimes the cheaper ones have better reviews than those in the mid range. Could any of you recommend the model that would suit a beginner / developing artist?†

02 February 2018
Maybe it's safer if you just asked the uni and your daughter?

It also would be useful to know which art studies she will be pursuing exactly? Illustration? Photo editing/manipulation? Desktop Publishing & Layout? Web Design? 3D Animation? Video? ...

Does your daughter draw or paint a lot?
In that case having a built in screen will make more sense than if you only need it for layout purposes for example... Not saying having a built in screen isn't helpful there... just less.
So there are a quite a few factors to consider, including personal preference and 'feel'.

But I'd recommend at least a wacom intuos pro model.
Simple but does the job well.

A cintiq model has a built in screen so you are drawing on the screen which makes things a bit more intuitive, but it's pricey and might be overkill. But depending on your daughter's drawing talent and if you're sure she will continue her career in a creative direction it's a good investment and could be worth it.

Their Mobile Studio pro tablets are a step up from the cintiq model since they not only have a the screen on which you draw but also have a computer system built in so you don't need to connect your tablet to a pc and thus its very portable and are more free to draw anywhere and everywhere you like (which really helps with being creative)(depending on the battery naturally)... Its expensive and probably overkill but, again depending on some factors, might be worth it. Keep in mind though that it has an integrated computer system and we all know that +-5 years from now that system might not be ideal to run the newest software anymore.

Now they sell these in different sizes and prices differ allot.
Which size you should get really depends on how your daughter will use it and on personal preference.
Many think bigger is better but I strongly disagree. I personally prefer working on a mid sized model for example.
Best you ask the seller if your daughter can try out different models in the shop.

I don't own a cintiq or mobile studio pr so i cant say how long they can run with a full battery or how they perform generally (im sure someone else on these forums will be able to tell you more).

I own an +/- 10 years old A5 intuos 3 model and it still runs perfectly.

Last edited by ACiD80 : 02 February 2018 at 08:52 AM.

02 February 2018
Ah oops, sorry so you say she is going for graphic design classes... Then i'd just recommend going for an intuos pro...
Unless she really likes to draw a lot (many graphic designers do) and you and her are sure she will also use it to draw a lot you might consider the cintiq if you have the budget (the intuos wil also do just fine though!).

Last edited by ACiD80 : 02 February 2018 at 09:01 AM.

02 February 2018
Thank you, thatís helpful. The computing arts degree she hopes †to get into covers all aspects, but ultimately she would like to work in the gaming industry. Graphic design would be a fall back if not successful. I dare say it would be something that would be upgraded in a few years time, but wanted to get something to work with now, even just to be able to produce images for her application portfolio, but didnít want to get one that was too basic. It would seem the Wacom Inutus pro in size medium would be a safe bet.†

02 February 2018
In that case yeah the intuos pro... size should really be tried out before buying imho.

reply share thread