Epic Superhero 3D Animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
Epic Superhero 3D Animation

Check out my latest 3D animation

https://youtu.be/xirGo-cziWY

3 Weeks Ago
Conceptually, it's cool and fun. Kudos on that.

I will say, however, that it is kinda hard to watch. On top of some iffy timing, there's not nearly enough anticipation or ease in/out. That makes the overallanimation just too jerky and disjointed to a point of distraction. Additionally, I don't know if you did or didn't, but it doesn't feel as if this thing was storyboarded. The narrative is all over the place. It feels more like a collection of fight clips, but not a real fight scene. This hurts the overall flow and "epicness" of what you're going for, imo. Fun to watch, but not enough lasting impact to make it memorable - again, imo. Remember, even in a fight scene, you're telling a story.

That aside, there are a couple of nitpicky things relating to lighting, texture distortion, setting, etc and so on. That stuff can be overlooked, especially if you're using ripped/borrowed models. The animation and storytelling are what really need the most attention. Admirable attempt though. I would, if I were you, seek to practice and more closely adhere to those 12 core principles of animation for future shorts.

Not trying to slam what you've put out, fwiw. I appreciate and acknowledge all of your hard work. Just chiming in with a few subjective observations.

Last edited by cookepuss : 3 Weeks Ago at 09:06 PM.

3 Weeks Ago
Also, hero's popping in and out for no really explained reason?

3 Weeks Ago
If you animated all this by hand, well done, the character animation looks good.

However - you need to learn more about lighting and shadowing, and camera framing as well.

You're using a global illumination/pathtracing rendering technique that creates very little strong shadowing. That makes everything look like a 3D game, not a 3D movie.

This is not an architectural GI render, its a fight scene. You lit it like an architectural scene.

Learn about setting up proper "three point lighting" - there is a lot of learning materials on that on the internet and in books as it is a standard technique photographers and cinematographers use.

If you cannot be bothered with that, place a light with strong soft shadow or area shadow either directly above the characters, or diagonally above a bit off to the side.

This will make the images easier to read, and give a better sense of the scale, volume and position of the 3D characters in 3D space. Anything else will look like a game engine render.

For the camera framing, look at how Hollywood directors frame superheroes in movies. Stanley Kubrick for example was a master of the symmetrical framing technique. Watch well directed movies and take not of where in the camera frame the characters are - distance to the left and right, and also distance between the head of the character and the top of the frame.

This stuff matters if you want your work to look really professional.

Also, your camera feels a bit too close to the characters at time. I would increase the FOV setting (field of view) of the CG camera a bit. This will emphasize distances in the scene more.

For popping characters out from the background, Depth Of Field (DOF) is your friend. This can be tricky to do well in a render, and can increase rendertimes, but basically you want the foreground characters sharp and the background slightly or moderately out of focus.

reply share thread