Urgent help in chosing research/Thesis topic for animation course!!modelling topology

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Urgent help in chosing research/Thesis topic for animation course!!modelling topology

Hi greetings,

My close buddy is doing her Animation masters and she is required to chose a Thesis topic with regards to animation modeling topology. For instance, flaws and constrains that an animator faces during topology creation will help us chose a topic to overcome it or to make a study on it. I am clueless but i really need your help. Any research material reference(2011 and above) or topic suggestions will be of great help . I have did a lot of search to no avail i hope GCsociety will help me find a solution. Thank you

With Regards
Govan Charan

02 February 2018
There is a simple solution to your problem. Model a basic 3D character without paying much attention to topology at all, and rig and animate it. You'll see immediately where things go badly wrong with poor topology.

Problem areas as I remember from when I did 3D CG are places like the area around the mouth (the corners of the mouth for example), the shoulder/armpit area of a character, also elbows and knees - basically wherever the mesh gets rotated or stretched too much, bad topology will create problems.

Another way to understand the problem is to look at tutorials that teach "correct edgeflow" in character modeling and similar. Basically, if you don't model like shown in those tutorials, your animated character will quickly become a mess when rigged.

You can also do a google image search for "bad 3D topology", "bad 3D animation topology" and similar. Look at this picture:

One more idea for you. Go on various 3D forums, and ask people for wireframe renders of 3D characters with topology that doesn't animate properly - hundreds of people have created such "beginner models" in the past with bad topology that doesn't animate well. I'm sure some people will share their screenshots with you. Look at those images to see where problems occur.

reply share thread