After Effects/Premiere Vs Final Cut Pro/Motion 5

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
After Effects/Premiere Vs Final Cut Pro/Motion 5

Final Cut Pro + Motion 5 or After Effects + Premiere for CGI Movies or Shorts. what do you guys think?

2 Weeks Ago
both editing and compositing

2 Weeks Ago
Nuke is by far the best choice for compositing, especially for anything 3D. Nuke Studio may suit your editing needs since it's basically regular Nuke with a multitrack editor, letting you make compositing adjustments while you edit non-destructively.

2 Weeks Ago
Nuke and Nuke Studio are expensive

What about Fusion/DaVinci Resolve instead?

2 Weeks Ago
Quote: Final Cut Pro + Motion 5 or After Effects + Premiere for CGI Movies or Shorts. what do you guys think?

Premiere and AE all the way. FCP took a pretty hard hit with 7 (I think that's the version anyway), and it's more of a "prosumer" app than a professional tool. You can find places that still use it, but for the most part, it tends to be relegated to a cutting station. Motion, while having some cool tools, can't really hold a candle to AE.

As others have mentioned, Nuke is pretty amazing too, but I'm guessing if you're looking at FCP and Motion, you're probably not looking to drop a ton of cash, and Nuke is $$$$. You may also consider Fusion. Even the free version has some amazing tools that go way beyond what AE can do in terms of compositing.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Crotalis: Premiere and AE all the way. FCP took a pretty hard hit with 7 (I think that's the version anyway), and it's more of a "prosumer" app than a professional tool. You can find places that still use it, but for the most part, it tends to be relegated to a cutting station. Motion, while having some cool tools, can't really hold a candle to AE.

As others have mentioned, Nuke is pretty amazing too, but I'm guessing if you're looking at FCP and Motion, you're probably not looking to drop a ton of cash, and Nuke is $. You may also consider Fusion. Even the free version has some amazing tools that go way beyond what AE can do in terms of compositing.

I am an AE guy as well
but what about "Hitfilm"
https://hitfilm.com/hitfilm-pro

I have heard some animators on other forums
saying good things about it and it has a free version
as well ( no time to DL and try it myself ATM)

Last edited by ThreeDDude : 2 Weeks Ago at 01:10 AM. Reason: spelling

2 Weeks Ago
Used to love fcp. Have not used it in years recently tried final cut x and wondered what happened?

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by NDCUniversal: Final Cut Pro + Motion 5 or After Effects + Premiere for CGI Movies or Shorts. what do you guys think?

After Effects & Premiere works well together. I've edited lots of stuff in Premiere.

Or maybe Fusion and Premiere. Fusion is also a powerful compositor.

Nuke is expensive.

Macs used to be good for video production, then Apple started caring only about how many iPhones or iPads it sells.

I would not go to Mac for that stuff now + a lot of free open source video tools right now are for Windows - video compression tools, stuff like AviDemux and so on.

I'd look at After Effects Premiere or Fusion Premiere.

2 Weeks Ago
AE and premiere +1 . Use nuke at work, would actually prefer AE for slap comps and quick look dev, plus it has all the cool plugins.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Travis: Used to love fcp. Have not used it in years recently tried final cut x and wondered what happened?

Remember what Apple did to Shake? They basically did the same thing to FCP, but stopped just short of actually EOLing it. Some time a few years ago (like I said, I THINK it FCP 7), they removed a lot of functionality, streamlined it, and basically turned it into a prosumer app that was geared more towards soccer moms and Dads filming birthdays. Where I am, a lot of studios were using FCP over Premiere when that happened. Many ended up switching. A lot of places worked with local news stations that were still running tape at the time. That feature (amongst several other professional level tools) was removed. Making it useless for a lot of folks. Pretty much anyone around here still using FCP is using it on a backup machine for an intern to do quick rough cuts/dailies.

2 Weeks Ago
I first learned nonlinear editing
on "Avid Video Shop" that used to be bundled with
Apple macs in the mid 1990's
Moved on to Adobe premier then later FCP
Stopped FCP At version five as I truly, utterly hated it.

It made sense for feature length films
being edited by multiple individuals however my needs back then were
only for my simple beginner animation clips.

I am editing my current marvel fan film
in the old bundled IMovie HD
on my old macbook.

From what I have seen FCP is the new "Imovie"
only its not free

Apple live type is still useful for quick titles
But I have become a serious user of After Effects due to its
vast number of plugins and tight Comping intergration with
Maxon C4D where I render all of my finals.

Anyone here have a go at Blenders node based compositor
for externally created input???

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: Anyone here have a go at Blenders node based compositor for externally created input???

I haven't tried it myself, but why wouldn't it work with external content?

At the end of the day you are just giving it image sequences with render passes, alphas and so on.

If you have 299 Dollars and want a powerful node based compositor, you could try BlackMagic Fusion 9.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude:
Anyone here have a go at Blenders node based compositor
for externally created input???

I've been learning to use it lately for comping 3D into video. I don't really know it well enough just yet to say for sure where the limitations are relative to other compositing packages, but I do really like the way that the rendering engine, modeling, and normal compositing tools are integrated into the same software, which makes it easy to update and readjust things on the go. The downside for me is that troubleshooting can be hard since I often have difficulty isolating where things are going wrong, e.g. when an alpha channel isn't working it might be something in the rendering engine, materials node system, or compositing node system, or any combination of the above.

tl;dr, It's pretty good, but I probably wouldn't bother using it if you've already got Nuke or Fusion around and are using content rendered in other software.

reply share thread