Why do we have different normal map results?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
Why do we have different normal map results?

Hello guys, after focus on learn moddeling, I am now trying to advance my knowledges and start on texturing and shading. But i've noticed something weird in the very beginning of this process.

I moddeled this column using Zbrush, aiming to be a game asset. So I would need to decimate the polygons and use normal maps to achieve a good result here. I used Maya to retopologyze and substance painter to bake the normal and AO textures. everything was fine untill I exported the textures to Finish the model in Maya.

Here is the images so you can understand whats happening:

above, is the final result I get from Maya (mental ray)

above is the result I get from Substance Painter (I-ray)

Above is to show you what the Hi-poly model looks like.

So. When I use the substance viewport to view my model and than, render... It looks fantastic. the way it should be. But how come, when I export it to maya, the result changes drastically? since I am using the same low poly mesh and the same normal texture, the result shoudn't be the same?

Please, if anybody here know what I am possibly doing wrong, I would be grateful to know.

thanks

01 January 2018
Keep in mind there are various normal formats, Different XYZ/RGB orders, world space, local space. Perhaps maya is interpreting the normal map with the wrong method.

02 February 2018
Try inverting in photoshop the green channel of the normal map. If it doesn't work, try inverting blue one.  Actually it's not clear what the problem is? Is it seams or it just looks to dark? The lighting is different.

02 February 2018
if you look carefully, in the MR image we get a strange shadow in the ends of each block module. Plus, it looks like the normal map didn't affect the blocks in the middle. I don't know if you can see this from the images here, but the bump quality is absurdly different if you are looking closely.

02 February 2018
I’m pretty sure Mash is right, it looks as if you use the map in the wrong space.

reply share thread