Here's Why Resident Evil 7 Characters Have Such Great Teeth

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Here's Why Resident Evil 7 Characters Have Such Great Teeth

I had the opportunity to conduct an email interview with Kawata and will have an extended interview tomorrow. For now, there’s important information that the world must know. Here’s an excerpt from our correspondence:Heather: One thing we noticed playing the game is that everyone has very good teeth. Do the Bakers brush and floss?Masachika Kawata: We used a method called photogrammetry which involves 3D scan technology and real models to create a photorealistic effect to the graphics. In the case of the characters, I guess we can thank the actors we utilized for having great teeth!

https://kotaku.com/heres-why-reside...t-te-1792304524
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

12 December 2017
photogrammetry you say??? Never heard of such a thing!

12 December 2017
Way to repost something from 10 months ago

12 December 2017
I'm more interested in finding out how they compressed their textures and reduced their polycounts to make that game look so good on PSVR...  I'm wondering if they used some flavor of light-field rendering in there?

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Imhotep397: I'm more interested in finding out how they compressed their textures and reduced their polycounts to make that game look so good on PSVR...  I'm wondering if they used some flavor of light-field rendering in there?
apart from turning certain effects off and reducing over all quality settings you can actually see in streams of the game that the further from the center it gets the fewer pixels are actually rendered.

http://alex.vlachos.com/graphics/Al...e_GDC 2016.pdf
The section called Radial Density Masking.

12 December 2017
Thanks a lot, now I really wish I'd gone to GDC.  I had been reading about foveated rendering but thought that that technique could only be implemented using eye tracking to get reasonable results and most VR HMDs (except one) don't have eye facing infrared light.  Knowing that there are iterations of the concept are good, having them implemented in Unreal or Unity in an Open way would be better.  I've felt from the beginning that PCVR would crash and burn while PSVR would thrive, which is what's happened, but most of the tools are seemingly geared towards PCVR or locked up in a proprietary tool box.  I'll have to dig a little further into the public tools.

Last edited by Imhotep397 : 12 December 2017 at 09:48 PM.

12 December 2017
as it turns out human peripheral vision isn't great, so beyond a 25 degree cone you can start degrading image quality without anyone noticing and temporal smoothing can fill in the blanks with minimal performance impact.

12 December 2017
you guys are over complicating it...its because they don't eat much sugar in their diet

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

12 December 2017
Hitler escaped to Argentina with his scientists, and they designed the PSVR. That's why PC VR is having such a hard time competing.

reply share thread