Best 3d modeller for particles

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Best 3d modeller for particles

I'm just wondering what is the best 3d modelling software for things like particles and motion graphics? The reason I ask is because we are currently using Maya but are finding that as well as it being very unstable and crashing a lot it's also very technical rather than intuitive.Being a creative rather than technical person we're after a 3d package that isn't so technical. Ideally we'd like to create and animate things like smoke/cloud type particles without the use of hyper graphs and charts, hence my question.We've been using Maya for many years but are willing to learn anther application if one is better. I've downloaded a demo of Cinema 4D but it looks like the only way I can do that sort of thing (Thinking Particles) is to use hype graphs again. From a creative point of view this isn't the best as you can't flow so well.We use Mac's if that helps.Any advice/opinions would be welcome.Thanks in advance.

12 December 2017
if you dont like graphs you are out of luck... houdini is just one big graph..
i would suggest learn how they work... dig deeper...

12 December 2017
I was worried that might be the case! :( What's the best way to learn them, is there a recommended resource or site? I've taught myself and am sure I've got some things wrong as I've not had anybody telling me this is how you do that?

Thanks

12 December 2017
I suggest spend some time on Cinema4d with X-Particles, the setup is not based on graphs. You can go and check on youtube an x-particles tutorial to judge if it will work for you. But i can definitely say that their particles setup is more creative than technical. 

http://insydium.uk/x-particles-4-new-features/

Last edited by johnkomnos : 12 December 2017 at 12:55 PM.

12 December 2017
Thank you, I'd not heard about x-particles before so will definitely have a look at that.

Thanks

12 December 2017
Thinking Particles is powerful but old and difficult to set up.

This is why everybody uses C4D with X-Particles - Version 4.0 is coming very soon:

For motion graphics and particles, C4D and X-Particles is your best choice.

If you are doing Hollywood level big-scale particle stuff, it is Houdini. But Houdini is very technical and basically completely graph based.

12 December 2017
I haven't played with X-particles in C4D yet, but if you're already used to Maya it seems like moving to C4D is going to be a really tough time. Not saying C4D isn't capable, but the control and levels of freedom you have in Maya - as well as the flexibility - will be sorely missed. If you're working with a studio of people, things are going to be additionally frustrating and claustrophobic.

That said, I'm sorry to hear about your instabilities with Maya. I stick with an older version (2015) for my work and don't run into much instability, but it really seems like the newer versions have broken more than they've fixed.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

12 December 2017
It's 2016 we're using which is way more unstable compared to previous version we've used so I think you're right about older versions!

reply share thread