Autodesk Stock Tanks On Guidance, Plans For Restructuring

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2017
Alright guys, im dropping the bomb.
If they decided to reinvest in Mudbox whats next??? 
Reinvest in Softimage, save Autodesk company! Thats the only way

12 December 2017
The problem is that Autodesk is incompetent. Even with Billions they can't produce their own media and entertainment package. It takes about 3 years to be a competent generalist. That is just to use the software! So you'd think you'd need a group of developers engaged on a single project for at least 3 years to produce anything of note. However, a "Restructuring", "Mass firing", or Managers leaving is a more common occurrence. Any competent programmer for 3ds Max or Maya has left Autodesk a long time ago. The only people left are those straight out of college/university or those biding time until their retirement. You can't be enthusiastic about shoe-horning in the work of others.
I doubt many of the original softimage XSI development-team would have stayed either.
"No, you can no longer work with the code with which you are familiar, you must improve..."
Turns and points to either 3ds Max or Maya
"Oh, where have they gone?" 

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by SD3D:  Any competent programmer for 3ds Max or Maya has left Autodesk a long time ago. The only people left are those straight out of college/university or those biding time until their retirement. 

stop that... please dont talk about things you dont know...

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by oglu: stop that... please dont talk about things you dont know...

but Maya and 3ds max tell you all you need to know. The management at Autodesk is a mess and no competent 3D-application-programmer would want to hang around under such a mess. No one likes to have to deal with other peoples code and apparently XSI was light years ahead of either 3ds max or Maya.

Also, it is known that there is little job security at Autodesk.
925 layoffs FEB 2016

and there are many more lay offs to come.

Last edited by SD3D : 12 December 2017 at 04:17 PM.

12 December 2017
still speculation... the core team is still there and hard at work... 

12 December 2017
For how long has the "Core team" been "Hard at work"?

You need separate teams for:
Animation
Dynamics
   Hair and fur
  Cloth
  Fluids
Poly Modelling
Nurbs Modelling
Rendering
a continuity team that works with all the other teams to make sure everything is executed in the same logical manner.

Not one team that gets moved about from discipline to discipline.

Who buys Autodesk software? If you have a perpetual-licence and your maintenance-subscription has expired, you can't buy upgrades for your version of Max/Maya. You have to rent an additional seat at £204+ a month FOREVER. Its a clusterfuck.

Last edited by SD3D : 12 December 2017 at 05:28 PM.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by SD3D: For how long has the "Core team" been "Hard at work"?

You need separate teams for:
Animation
Dynamics
   Hair and fur
  Cloth
  Fluids
Poly Modelling
Nurbs Modelling
Rendering
a continuity team that works with all the other teams to make sure everything is executed in the same logical manner.

Not one team that gets moved about from discipline to discipline.

Who buys Autodesk software? If you have a perpetual-licence and your maintenance-subscription has expired, you can't buy upgrades for your version of Max/Maya. You have to rent an additional seat at £204+ a month FOREVER. Its a clusterfuck.
Cinema 4D works around a common core that is used by all other parts of the application. That enabled the modules in the past and still is the base onwhich Cinema 4D works. The new core that was announced is a replacement for the old ones. There is no need for one team to do everything, on the contrary. The core provides the new environment and toolset for all other dev teams. There will be a phase of transition for every area done by each team with support from the core team. Since the new core provides a lot more modern and efficient environment, progress does accelerate over the process of transition.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: Hopefully this " core rewrite " will include a proper standard humanIK
control rig for retargeting Mocap from external sources and an updated
cloth solver that actually works on moving figures.
Perhaps  maybe I would actually consider moving on from version 11.5 studio.

As a  CFX guy I'll just warn you there is only so much you can do with the way that motion is 'jerking' with every cycle.
It passes the jerking through the cloth. If its mocap (even if its not) it needs some cleanup/smoothing just not to be so distracting. *Then * cloth it.

Last edited by circusboy : 12 December 2017 at 01:56 PM.

12 December 2017
sad to hear about people losing their jobs.

hope they get things together

...reminds me of SGI's downward spiral with how often they regrouped. They at least sold off alias and it was able to flourish on its own

if max and maya did somehow tank, I still think there'd be a mass exodus to blender with people getting by with maya until they transition.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by sentry66: ...reminds me of SGI's downward spiral with how often they regrouped. They at least sold off alias and it was able to flourish on its own
SGI shouldn't get a pass on Autodesk-like behavior just because it's dead.  SGI bought Alias and Wavefront, merged them together, sold them off (just before bankruptcy) to a vulture investment fund which then sold them a year later to Autodesk.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by circusboy: As a  CFX guy I'll just warn you there is only so much you can do with the way that motion is 'jerking' with every cycle.
It passes the jerking through the cloth. If its mocap (even if its not) it needs some cleanup/smoothing just not to be so distracting. *Then * cloth it.
I agree the walk cycle is canned/looped rubbish.
Consider however  the very fact that  the looped cycle jerks are being transfered to 
the cloth is an ironic testament to the DAZ optitex solvers abilities.

and a scathing indictment of C4Ds prevailing lack of ability
to both retarget random mocap from external sources
and having cloth solve on  a character performing the crappy mocap.

MY cost here was 
Daz studio $0 USD
plus an $8 USD script from renderosity
that converts My own made meshes to optitex enabled clothing.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Array: Nothing. It's just that those product lines are the only ones from Autodesk which don't feel  like a complete dumpster fire. 

You are correct in that they will probably stick with a diverse portfolio, but I'll be surprised if they don't roll out some EOL announcements for some of their CG/VFX related packages in the coming months in order to placate their shareholders. Mudbox and 3dsmax EOL both seem likely at this point.
Doubt it, they've built their entire AR/VR platform and everything that brings together several of their AEC-based applications together 100% on 3ds Max.  Maya will be around for film / 3ds Max for visualization.  Don't think that will ever change.

12 December 2017
Autodesk: Layoffs Put An Iconic Franchise On Discount (stocks)

Summary:
Autodesk reported a small beat in its Q3 earnings, but also announced a round of layoffs that has sent the stock down nearly 20% post-earnings.
The layoffs affect 13% of its workforce (approx. 1,150 employees), though management says this move is not a cost reduction and is coming from a "position of strength."
Autodesk is still in the midst of transitioning its sales model to a subscription-based cloud delivery model.
Subscription revenues increased 106% y/y in the quarter.
Total revenues also returned to growth (+5% y/y) in the quarter, coming from several quarters of decline in the year.
Though Autodesk has historically been an expensive stock, the recent pullback makes shares appealing.https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...nchise-discount
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz:  though management says this move is not a cost reduction and is coming from a "position of strength."
So it's a cost reduction then.
It is never a "Position of strength" to mass-fire ~1000 employees.
I am Pretty sure they fired Bobo a few years back in a mass firing too. I wonder if they will throw out the baby with the bath water again.
Hard to know who is competent and who isn't with a mass firing on such a scale.
The interim CEOs are professional bullshitters, or at least, one of them is. There is a Youtube video where he gives a talk.  It was so cringe worthy. Of course, with Autodesk being a public company, if shit was hitting a fan, it's not like they'd admit to it. In any case, its not like you'd want to invest in such a company even if the stock is tanking. Autodesk has been greatly overvalued for too long.

Last edited by SD3D : 12 December 2017 at 08:05 PM.

12 December 2017
In regards to technology, it seems whenever companies are losing money and/or market share, they are better served by hiring more engineers to create next-gen products/features that people want to buy.

I just hope their products don't slow down innovation even more because that helps no one

reply share thread