Autodesk Stock Tanks On Guidance, Plans For Restructuring

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Ghandics: I can clearly see what's in danger.
No you can't. Autodesk has ADHD (Attention deficit hyper activity disorder) at the best of times. The whole company is a mess. They cant and wont rewrite 3ds max and at the moment they have killed-off its uptake.

Cue something about 3dsmax being the most distributed bit of software. So what if no one knows how to use it. Blender is catching up fast and in several areas actually overtakes maya and 3ds max.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by SD3D: No you can't. Autodesk has ADHD (Attention deficit hyper activity disorder) at the best of times. The whole company is a mess. They cant and wont rewrite 3ds max and at the moment they have killed-off its uptake.

Cue something about 3dsmax being the most distributed bit of software. So what if no one knows how to use it. Blender is catching up fast and in several areas actually overtakes maya and 3ds max.
Rewriting any major DCC is a suicidal move. Autodesk is smarter than that.
Blender? good luck.
Oh... FYI, 3dsMax 2018 has had 3 PU with a lot of features.
What does Maya 2018 have so far?

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by gandhics: Rewriting any major DCC is a suicidal move. Autodesk is smarter than that.
Blender? good luck.
Oh... FYI, 3dsMax 2018 has had 3 PU with a lot of features.
What does Maya 2018 have so far?
"3 PU" product updates? This may help keep existing renters. However, long-term, how and why does someone use 3ds max?
How and why would a young-person learn 3ds max over other software?

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by SD3D: "3 PU" product updates? This may help keep existing renters. However, long-term, how and why does someone use 3ds max?
How and why would a young-person learn 3ds max over other software?

Because it's not overly complicated, gets the job done quickly, has tons of amazing plugins and is widely used in a huge number of companies, especially small-mid ones?

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by brudney: Because it's not overly complicated, gets the job done quickly, has tons of amazing plugins and is widely used in a huge number of companies, especially small-mid ones?
How does someone learn the software in their spare time for free/little cost?

12 December 2017
max only runs on windows.. that's surely one reason they won't drop maya soon...

portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
Vimeo - vimeo.com/deroesi

game project - moldgame.wordpress.com

WIPs - theremoteguy.tumblr.com

12 December 2017
Basically they drop maya/Linux and therefore VFX.
Side Effects will do a little happy dance.

I wonder if they would dare...

12 December 2017
Money is a byproduct of a successful business and Autodesk doesn't have a product of their own in the media-and-entertainment sector from which to make money in the future. Autodesk milked the creations of others for all they were worth whilst doing little to improve them. Now, their business practice has caught up with them. They need to ditch/sell-off anything they don't understand and that is probably the entire media and entertainment sector.

Both 3ds Max and Maya are utter crap these days with respect to the fact that they are owned by a billion dollar company. The core functionality is from the fucking 90s!

Last edited by SD3D : 12 December 2017 at 04:45 PM.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by gandhics: Rewriting any major DCC is a suicidal move. Autodesk is smarter than that.

Not sure I'd entirely agree with you on that one
https://www.maxon.net/en/news/maxon...for-the-future/

Oh and then there's Modo which is essentially a rewrite for lightwave.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by SD3D: They need to ditch/sell-off anything they don't understand and that is probably the entire media and entertainment sector.

This would be the best case scenario for the health of the VFX industry. Sell off the portfolio of IP's, including Softimage, to companies which will actually do them justice. I remember there being whispers of Unity attempting to purchase Softimage from Autodesk around the time of the EOL announcement, but Autodesk balked and essentially said that Softimage was not for sale at any price. Hopefully that has changed now.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by gandhics: Well.. do you know what Autodesk recently decided to reinvest in Mudbox?
The dev which Maya team stole from Mudbox went back to Mudbox.

Autodesk CEO said they will devest the product which is not aligned with Autodesk's goal and focus.
Let's see.... do you think Maya fits into Autodesk portfolio with other CAD product?
3dsMax covers both entertainment and CAD market which means it is ver well aligned with Autodesk's focus.
Maya? M&E is less than 15% of Autodesk. Maya is less than half of that.

Hmm.. I can clearly see what's in danger.

While shuffling developers around may have at one point been an indicator of where Mudbox was headed, all of that goes out the window during a restructuring. What once may have had a bright future may very well end up on the cutting room floor. I've seen it happen time and time again.

In regards to Maya vs. 3dsmax, I have no horse in that race, and honestly I would be thrilled if both of them stopped existing. Their presence under Autodesk's wing has been a lodestone around the neck of the VFX industry.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by imashination: Not sure I'd entirely agree with you on that one
https://www.maxon.net/en/news/maxon...for-the-future/

Oh and then there's Modo which is essentially a rewrite for lightwave.

Hopefully this " core rewrite " will include a proper standard humanIK
control rig for retargeting Mocap from external sources and an updated
cloth solver that actually works on moving figures.
Perhaps maybe I would actually consider moving on from version 11.5 studio.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by arry: In regards to Maya vs. 3dsmax, I have no horse in that race, and honestly I would be thrilled if both of them stopped existing. Their
presence under Autodesk's wing has been a lodestone around the neck of
the VFX industry.

Dude...what is your problem?You would be thrilled in some software ceasing to exist? Dis-array is cquazy...I'm hoping you aren't this far gone at such a young age....

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by cgstudios: Dude...what is your problem?

No problems here. Just sick and tired of dealing with Maya in a production context, just like so many others in this industry. But don't worry, if Maya goes away it won't be my decision. I don't have any say over such things. It'll come down to the executives of Autodesk to come up with a plan to get their company back on track.

12 December 2017
Yeah, not sure either how killing Maya and 3ds would save this industry...

reply share thread