Is there anything wrong with using smooth view while making faces?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2017
Is there anything wrong with using smooth view while making faces?

I usually use smooth view for modeling out the faces for my characters. That way I can uv the faces easier, (because it changes the look of the uv's), and apply the textures easier in maya. After I'm done with the modeling what I usually do is turn smooth view off and smooth it out fully, so it would be at a higher quality for animation and rendering. Someone's been trying to say that I shouldn't do this, but every time I ask her what better method she' d have me do, she can't answer me. This person has been wrong before on some things, so I thought I'd just get a second opinion on this. Is there anything particularly wrong with this method?

11 November 2017
Isn't it kind of obvious that having all faces clearly visible and distinguishable from each other is the recommended way to model?

11 November 2017
I'm thinking rigging are gonna want poly's 'as modeled' and not pre-smoothed. The display doesn't matter-this is toggleable
But anything more 'permanent' I would avoid unless asked for.

11 November 2017
faces i have to model does look not that different with and without sooth preview... 20k+ poly min on the base...

reply share thread