Flicker with nHair Renderman

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2017
Flicker with nHair Renderman

Hello everyone,
I'm working on a short 30-second animation of a paintbrush. I had originally attempted to use XGen for the bristles part of the brush, but my computer kept crashing when I tried to render. So, I switched to nHair. I was able to animate the brush and the bristles to move around and everything. Now the issue I'm having is that the bristles seem to flicker on the final gather of the renders. I'm rendering using Renderman. I was originally rendering in exc but after some research, I read that the format needs to be non-compressive and switched to TIFF. I tried tga but my computer would not accept that format. Also, I keep finding information on the flickering on mental ray but not RenderMan. Any suggestions?

11 November 2017
All renderers have to consider this.
Best check with the Renderman community for tips.
https://community.renderman.pixar.c...tion-1.html?l=h

11 November 2017
Originally Posted by crvzqz: Hello everyone,
I'm working on a short 30-second animation of a paintbrush. I had originally attempted to use XGen for the bristles part of the brush, but my computer kept crashing when I tried to render. So, I switched to nHair. I was able to animate the brush and the bristles to move around and everything. Now the issue I'm having is that the bristles seem to flicker on the final gather of the renders. I'm rendering using Renderman. I was originally rendering in exc but after some research, I read that the format needs to be non-compressive and switched to TIFF. I tried tga but my computer would not accept that format. Also, I keep finding information on the flickering on mental ray but not RenderMan. Any suggestions?

Just a guess, because we can't see your render, but you most likely need to include your amount of samples per pixel. Another workaround for this type of problem is to render your image at 2x resolution and then scale back down, but only if increasing pixel samples doesn't help.

reply share thread