What best 3D software for VFX and iOS Development?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2017
What best 3D software for VFX and iOS Development?

I recently saw how Houdini can do parametric modelling and seems flexible. I’ve heard Modo is amazing too, but 3ds Max is very popular. Cinema 4D for some reason is rated pretty high on many websites.

Ultimately I want to invest my time to learn a 3D Software that I can then use to make 3D content for both video VFX and iOS Apps. I will be doing mainly static models and some particle systems, no character modelling or animation.

I would like:
Parametric dynamic modelling (stack or node based, not simply mesh editing)
Export high and low quality meshes
Export animations
Flexible texturing and UVW mapping 
Great particle systems
Decent lighting and rendering 

For VFX videos:
I will use it for 3D creation and maybe combine it with something like Foundry Nuke to create videos with live footage and 3D models with VFX.

For iOS Apps:
I will use it for 3D modelling and then import into Xcode for use with the apps.

What do you suggest is the best 3D software to do what I want?

11 November 2017
your question is very nice. many 3d software is available. i think you comfort which software you can use you can choose.

11 November 2017
We are not supposed to favor any peeve on software on the forums COUGH COUGH Houdini COUGH!
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

11 November 2017
Thank you guys for your feedback. It is still a difficult decision, many softwares seem to have similar tools. However, I did find out that Dreamworks uses Houdini, which is pretty cool, I like a lot of their movies.

11 November 2017
Houdini, is the most optimal choice after reading your list of requirements and to get hands on without shelling out $$$ just download the free Apprentice version.

11 November 2017
reading your requirements +1 for houdini. but keep in mind if you've never touched a 3D app before houdini will also be by far the hardest to learn.

11 November 2017
If you are new to 3D, don't start with Houdini. Learn the basics with something more approachable like C4D, Blender, Modo, Maya, then graduate to Houdini.

Houdini is not a beginner's software. Its for Technical Directors who want and need deep, complex, technical tools.

It'll do everything you listed. Just don't expect to open Houdini and get any kind of results with just a few hours of playing with it.

11 November 2017
Cinema 4D, Max, and Maya will all do what you want, although C4D isn't as powerful for modeling and lacks a lot of node-based functionality. Max has stacks, but is still not as flexible as Maya. Modo is great for modeling but not so much for animation or rendering. I would suggest learning Maya since it can handle everything you need. Houdini is very powerful too. You're going to have a learning curve no matter which program you choose, but I agree that Houdini's may be the most difficult.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

11 November 2017
Maya for procedural modeling?
Even Blender would be better than Maya for that.

reply share thread