Kevin Spacey to be digitally replaced with Christopher Plummer in Ridley Scott movie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Kevin Spacey to be digitally replaced with Christopher Plummer in Ridley Scott movie

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...y-world-1056450

"It is not clear how Scott will produce the Spacey-Plummer swap, but bringing back the actors for filming and finishing the film on this razor tight schedule is an enormous undertaking. Another, also monumental, option may be delicate visual effects work. A key challenge will the visual effects, since many of Spacey’s scenes were shot in different locations.

VFX house MPC — which was the lead VFX house on last year’s visual effects Oscar winner The Jungle Book — is working on All the Money in the World (though there might be additional VFX houses involved). Depending on the complexity and number of shots in which the character appears, it is possible that digital compositing could place Plummer into some shots.

Blade Runner 2049. Techniques such as this have been used in unique situations to finish a film, though its difficult to think of another predicament such as this. "

2 Weeks Ago
From what I read elsewhere, Spacey's scenes were mostly just him alone in front of the camera, and he was only on set for 2 weeks.

The other actors have agreed to re-shoot the scenes with Christopher Plummer.

So there probably won't be much "digital wizardry" to replace Spacey. Just the scenes being re-shot with another actor.

2 Weeks Ago
The problem is that a lot of the scenes were shot on location worldwide, at different times of day and different environments. there is NO WAY IN HELL that they will be able to recreate all those sets and take him to all those location with the time allotted.

This will be one of the most complicated green screen shoots in recent memory. And don't get me started about the Rotto work that will be needed.
EDIT
and the makeup too. I am sure someone just dragged Rick Baker kicking and screaming out of retirement. 

This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 2 Weeks Ago at 01:29 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: The problem is that a lot of the scenes were shot on location worldwide, at different times of day and different environments. there is NO WAY IN HELL that they will be able to recreate all those sets and take him to all those location with the time allotted.

Ah, I see. The source where I read about the re-shoots made it sound like it was just a matter of re-shooting a handful of scenes with Plummer and some of the other main actors present.

It didn't say anything about locations around the world having been used.

reply share thread