vray vs default scanline when selling models

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
vray vs default scanline when selling models

Hello everyone,

I've been selling models on Turbosquid for years now and I'm curious about v-ray...
Should I use v-ray or default scanline when selling my models on Turbosquid?
does anybody have experience with either one?

Thanks

1 Week Ago
There's some rendering styles that are faster to render in Scanline, so if you don't need the advanced rendering effects that Vray has then you don't need it. But, for most things it would be better to use Vray, if you don't own Vray already and don't want to buy it then use Mental Ray.

1 Week Ago
Thanks foryour response.

I know vray usually looks better in most cases and I prefer to use it now that I have it.
Although I am wondering if a model designed with vray would rule out those potential buyers who don't use vray or even have vray. I say this
because I know that if you don't have vray on your system,the file will not work. Which means someone wouldn't even consider buyingmy models designed with vray because they don't use it.

Where a model that just uses the "basic" default scanline can be opened and used whether or not ypu have vray.

Also,...I have an older version of 3ds max and I wonder if a lot of people prefer to use the renderer "Iray" that comes with newer versions of MAX. If that's the case then Iassume the default scanline is more widely accepted and more likely to sell more often.

Does that make sense? Anyone who has experience with this, I would love to hear from...

Thanks.

1 Week Ago
You can still open a file that uses Vray just fine, it'll just give a message about missing plugin files, if they install the Vray demo they can also open the file and see the material settings if they want to change them if they don't want to render with Vray.

I'd say these days Vray is the most popular renderer for 3ds Max, MR is outdated and slow and iRay has limited use cases, and most people aren't interested in using the renderers that Autodesk has added.

1 Week Ago
Thank you so much for your help. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

reply share thread