New here - Looking for feedback to improve

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
New here - Looking for feedback to improve

Hi Everyone, I am Jozf and I am fairly new to 3D. Looking around this place I feel like a little leaguer watching his first big league game.

Any input is welcome - thanks in advance

3 Weeks Ago
Your models look okay for a total beginner taking baby steps in 3D. You have some sense of scale and proportion.

My recommendation would be to try following a box modeling/subdivision modeling tutorial next.

All your models use the most basic modeling techniques so far.

Challenge yourself with something more advanced, like box modeling a human hand for example.

Also when rendering your objects, always place a light with soft shadows somewhere above your object (but not directly vertically above it).

Otherwise your objects will look like early 3D stuff from the 1980s/1990s.

What 3D software are you on?

3 Weeks Ago
Student version of Autodesk Maya 2016. I have access to ZBrush but coming from Maya, ZBrush baffles me

Honestly, even posting here scares the crap out of me......

3 Weeks Ago
Everyone starts somewhereIt's if you can get past the middle that counts. Feel free to start some post in the WIP forum. Whatever level you are there are people to help.

Cheers

2 Weeks Ago
Hi Joseph,

Thanks for taking the first step and sharing your work! A lot of beginners never do that, and they will toil for years without making progress. Since progress is your goal, some tips below:

- Lose the checkerboards
- Challenge yourself to tackle a higher level of detail than you ever have before. Select an object made of many parts, and really focus on creating every aspect of it. If it's a desk, then make every drawer, every handle, every screw. The great thing about being where you are is you can set a goal to say everything you do will be the best thing you've ever done, and this will be true and inspiring as you continue to improve.
- USE REFERENCE! Nobody just imagines something and then models it from their head. To get maximum realism you'll need great inputs, and that includes photos, measurements, or a great concept drawing.
- Look at people who are doing amazing work and ask yourself "what does this rendering or model have that mine doesn't?" Slowly as you start breaking this down, you can continue adding tools to your toolbox. You have to learn why something looks "good" before you can understand how to improve your own work.
- It's good practice to crank out lots of models like you've been doing, but now begin to focus on quality over quantity. If each project isn't a little bit uncomfortable, you will never improve. I used to avoid projects with plants, or with cloth when I was starting out, but eventually you have to figure out how to tackle those. These will come in time, but you can continue to hone your hard surfaces for now.
- Begin with modeling. Create a great, accurate, detailed model. Then you can practice UV unwrapping and mapping. Then you can practice creating textures and materials. Then you can study lighting and how to create a great final image and present your model in a pleasing way. There is a lot to learn, but you can take it as far as you want!

Just for fun, here is one of my first models ever. Then on the right, a model I made about 4 years ago for a portfolio project. See if you can make a list of 5-10 things the image on the right has that the left doesn't, and this will get you started on how to objectively critique your work.

2 Weeks Ago
3D Modeling for 3D Printing Tutorial for Beginners
1: Intro to 3D Modeling and 3D Printing2: Digitizing your Design in Photoshop CC3: Preparing and Exporting a 3D Model from Photoshop4: Design Tips for Tinkercad5: Designing your 3D Model in Tinkercad6: Uploading Your Design to Shapeways

reply share thread