200+ Women In L.A.’s Animation Ind Demand Studios End Sexual Harassment In Workplace

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ACiD80: I can completely understand no harassing and/or making uncomfortable at the workplace (not just for women but in general).

But you have to explain what's wrong with a bit of flirting?!
What if you just happen to like someone? Plenty of happy couples met each other at work...

Sure, I can understand you have to stop when you're getting the signal it's not mutual... but at that point it becomes harassment anyway.
I had a chat with some family last night and it turns out most of us met partners at work at one time or another. Plus it was the women who mostly initiated it. 

4 Weeks Ago
OK i can speak from experience..
About 4 years ago I mentored a group of young women starting in the industry during SIGGRAPH ...
When we started talking, to my shock , ALL OF THEM had horror stories.
Tales of Supervisors INSISTING they go on dates (that seems to happen a lot ).
Disparaging comments based on Gender and feeling that they had to jump thorough hoops their male counterparts did not have to jump.
The way I see is if so many woman are coming forward now , there is something WRONG about the system.
And here is another horror story...
In a past job I knew of a Contractor come crying to a female supervisor because her direct manager wanted to go on a date. (I knew the guy and he has a rep)

She is  a single mother and she was FREAKED OUT about turning down the advances of someone who could fire her at will.
Guess what management did?
They disciplined the Supervisor that tried to help the contractor and she quit shortly after that.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 4 Weeks Ago at 11:48 AM.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ACiD80: I can completely understand no harassing and/or making uncomfortable at the workplace (not just for women but in general).

But you have to explain what's wrong with a bit of flirting?!
What if you just happen to like someone? Plenty of happy couples met each other at work...

Sure, I can understand you have to stop when you're getting the signal it's not mutual... but at that point it becomes harassment anyway.

Yes, I suggest that you do not flirt at work. Be a normal civilized person, talk to people as if they are your coworkers and nothing else. That way, you get your work done, while people feel respected and if a mutual fondness strikes, you'll both notice. Might as well just be two people who grow into friends. It is nice to have friends at a workplace. It is quite normal to have friends of the opposite sex. At the point where you guys go out to have a beer on your own, you'll know if she is in to you. This is how you build relationships anyways.
If you just want to get laid, install tinder or go to a pub with strangers.

4 Weeks Ago
I thoroughly advice all guys to not get beaten down by spiteful feminist dogma. Do not let your children believe there healthy and ordinary interactions are shameful anf predatory. This is political interference. And it done from a perspective that there is inherently something wrong with men. It is a form of abuse. Protect your kids. Above all remember why you are here, because your parents or grandparents pursued each other.

Call out the obvious wrong guys or girls (yes women are slowly catching up with men ) but do not allow our childrens future to be soulless and without romance and fun. 

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by grrinc: I thoroughly advice all guys to not get beaten down by spiteful feminist dogma. Do not let your children believe there healthy and ordinary interactions are shameful anf predatory. This is political interference. And it done from a perspective that there is inherently something wrong with men. It is a form of abuse. Protect your kids. Above all remember why you are here, because your parents or grandparents pursued each other.

Call out the obvious wrong guys or girls (yes women are slowly catching up with men ) but do not allow our childrens future to be soulless and without romance and fun. 

THIS. This is the problem. Seemingly normal guys defending when men makes women feel uncomfortable and harassed.

4 Weeks Ago
>>When we started talking, to my shock , ALL OF THEM had horror stories.
>>Tales of Supervisors INSISTING they go on dates (that seems to happen a lot ).

This is one of the  main things  i am taking away from this issue. Its the  'power factor'.
Peer-to-peer romance at work isn't the issue. Nobody holds anything over anyone else. If you breakup you get over it just like high school.

Its when somebody in charge demands 'romance' from a subordinate male or female (but sorry guys the ladies  do suffer this more and men are more commonly in charge).
The *real issue* is how does one refuse this  'attention' and not fuck up their career at the company?!

Romance at work isn't dead.  Its the sleep-with-me-or-your-career-is-ruined thats bad. Sorry guys but if that ever happened to you-just how would
*you* handle it and stay 'happy' at that company eh?!

Last edited by circusboy : 4 Weeks Ago at 03:11 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by grrinc: I thoroughly advice all guys to not get beaten down by spiteful feminist dogma. 

What are you talking about? This is a thread about abuse against women in the workplace, where's the "spiteful feminist dogma"?

I don't think I've ever had a female friend/girlfriend close to me that hasn't had some sort of sexual harassment issue, some pretty horrifying. The most recent example I heard a few days ago is from a friend who's manager demanded that she break up with her boyfriend while she is employed at the office because she had to be single while working, even harassing her in public on the street and supermarket. Eventually she was forced to quit. This was at a pretty big studio and most of her colleagues knew what was happening but nobody did anything, even took the complaint to the higher ups, they knew he had a history of doing this stuff but they told her to just stick it out. 

Does bad stuff happen to men too? I've never heard it happening but probably. That said, this isn't what this thread is about. 

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by circusboy: This is one of the  main things  i am taking away from this issue. Its the  'power factor'.
Peer-to-peer romance at work isn't the issue. Nobody holds anything over anyone else. If you breakup you get over it just like high school.

Its when somebody in charge demands 'romance' from a subordinate male or female (but sorry guys the ladies  do suffer this more and men are more commonly in charge).
The *real issue* is how does one refuse this  'attention' and not fuck up their career at the company?!

Romance at work isn't dead.  Its the sleep-with-me-or-your-career-is-ruined thats bad. Sorry guys but if that ever happened to you-just how would
*you* handle it and stay 'happy' at that company eh?
That's the thing. So many women have horror stories, and quite a few of them starts with a seemingly normal guy just being coworker friendly. Who then flirts and cant take a rejection and go into pig mode. And there's really no solid way of telling the normal guy from the sexist pig. So when you as a man start flirting at work, a lot of women thinks "oh boy, here we go again" and has to relive traumas they have been through.
That is the price of "office romance" cause if you flirt with ten women at the workplace and you find the ONE. That is at the coast of putting at least half of them through the hell of reliving their office nightmares.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Alice: Yes, I suggest that you do not flirt at work. Be a normal civilized person, talk to people as if they are your coworkers and nothing else. That way, you get your work done, while people feel respected and if a mutual fondness strikes, you'll both notice. Might as well just be two people who grow into friends. It is nice to have friends at a workplace. It is quite normal to have friends of the opposite sex. At the point where you guys go out to have a beer on your own, you'll know if she is in to you. This is how you build relationships anyways.
If you just want to get laid, install tinder or go to a pub with strangers.

Not sure you're trolling or being serious.

I think you have a different idea of what flirting is than me or most people.

Also, that image you posted is very naive and part of the problem.

Anyway, werent topics like this forbidden for obvious reasons?

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ACiD80: Not sure you're trolling or being serious.

I think you have a different idea of what flirting is than me or most people.

Also, that image you posted is very naive and part of the problem.

Anyway, werent topics like this forbidden for obvious reasons?
 I am dead serious, and not the least bit naive about it. (Being 40 years old and have worked with advertisement agencies all over Europe during the past 15 years.) I suggest you read my answer to circusboy.
As for the topic being controversial, that is why it is started by a forum leader and closely monitored.

4 Weeks Ago
I remember clearly someone opening a topic on here because he was being sexually harassed at work and it got closed.

Reason mentioned; such discussions don't belong here.

4 Weeks Ago
You could always start of by reading the thread starters message

4 Weeks Ago
Sure... which I did.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ACiD80: Sure... which I did.
Then why are you suggesting that I should stop talking when I am on topic?

reply share thread