Where to look for freelance work?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2017
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: If I want to use this thing to make a movie that *I* have an idea for - is that possible? ie. people will be getting paid AFTER the movie is released....!!!
No. This is ridiculous.
The movie is unlikely to make any money.
The release date is uncertain, if it ever gets released.

You either make the entire movie yourself, or you hire people with your disposable income. Also, if you have no talent, they could steal your idea and have better claim to it than you in court.

11 November 2017
That also reminds me of another source other than hard core entrepreneurs. There are those with a disposable income that are willing to invest in their own ideas about creating a product. Typically they are not happy with the products currently on the market for their needs, whether for their professional arenas or personal (many invest in learning tools for kids based on their own wants for their own children).

I know a game artist that has been on a 2 year retainer for a doctor that wants to create an interactive history game. He gets paid every month for development to work towards getting the pilot game done so that the doctor can pitch it to his inner circle of friends that also have disposable income to fund a more developed product that they can profit from..Typically the projects don't get finished or never get past the pilot stage, but the people with disposable income still need to invest it or find a use for it instead of just being taxed. It also fills a little bit of their philanthropy activities.

I've jumped on board historical animations for small museums and societies that are able to raise $50k - 100k+ in funds to create media that serves their cause and/or represents their interests.

Sometimes you can find these people on your own, sometimes you find them through others that know how to find these opportunities. It's all about networking and positioning yourself for the next opportunity. Keep asking questions and listen carefully. All the clues are out there to lead you to good relationships that can produce revenue off your services. You just have to search and uncover them. If you can get very good finding these opportunities on a steady basis, you don't have to work for a single employer again and have much more control over your income and time. If you can excel at it, you can effectively move yourself into the Business Owner and Investor quadrants (check out the Rich Dad / Poor Dad quadrant philosophy on building wealth and financial freedom)

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 11 November 2017 at 06:07 PM.

reply share thread