Where to look for freelance work?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

10 October 2017
Where to look for freelance work?

I usually just post my work on craigslist, and that's how i've always gotten clients.
but I feel like there has to be a better way.
sure networking and word of mouth.
but I mean if you're just like going at it cold, wheres a good place to post your work and find clients?

I've tried sites like elance in the past, and found them to be absolutely awful.
people trying to get fully rendered illustrations for $12/hr and have it done in 4 hours.. .that kind of thing.

10 October 2017
Depends on what you are doing? For artist looking to just put themselves out there.

If your just looking to put yourself out there and not targeting film and game work then books and challenges are golden opportunities

Books are great there are still people that get advertising gigs based off ballistic books that are 6, 7 years old at this point.

https://www.workbook.com/
Spectrum
Magic Cards

Also make sure you are easily accessible I find artist everyday with little to no contact info.

Some here might offer more targeted work but in general there are hundreds of publishers looking for work every month to features artist so don't be shy in approaching them about getting a feature

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Tad: I usually just post my work on craigslist, and that's how i've always gotten clients.
but I feel like there has to be a better way.
sure networking and word of mouth.
but I mean if you're just like going at it cold, wheres a good place to post your work and find clients?

I've tried sites like elance in the past, and found them to be absolutely awful.
people trying to get fully rendered illustrations for $12/hr and have it done in 4 hours.. .that kind of thing.
way of the world now :/ global platform...and "clients" feed the beast :(

4 Weeks Ago
www.fiverr.com but having a really good portfolio. I see too many 3d artists on fiverr.com showing fake renders they didn't do. Be good and show the goods and put down a good price and they'll come.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ilovekaiju: www.fiverr.com but having a really good portfolio. I see too many 3d artists on fiverr.com showing fake renders they didn't do. Be good and show the goods and put down a good price and they'll come.
sites like fiverr should be forbidden by international law. the name alone says it all. it's really an insult to any artist. to the OP: networking is really the best advice i can give, knowing people is still the best way of getting gigs. also if you do great work and put it out there regularly on vimeo, twitter, behance and co, people will eventually contact you. and of course try to do stuff that is somehow unique.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by everfresh: sites like fiverr should be forbidden by international law. the name alone says it all. it's really an insult to any artist. to the OP: networking is really the best advice i can give, knowing people is still the best way of getting gigs. also if you do great work and put it out there regularly on vimeo, twitter, behance and co, people will eventually contact you. and of course try to do stuff that is somehow unique.
Not a fan of fiver either. It treat our work like fast food.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

3 Weeks Ago
Pretty sure no one has ever said "artists will eat lots of food and always be full" XD

3 Weeks Ago
Quote: sites like fiverr should be forbidden by international law. the name alone says it all. it's really an insult to any artist. to the OP: networking is really the best advice i can give, knowing people is still the best way of getting gigs. also if you do great work and put it out there regularly on vimeo, twitter, behance and co, people will eventually contact you. and of course try to do stuff that is somehow unique.

I don't know ya'll
First Fiverr used to make folks offer services for 5 dollars. Not anymore. They moved up in the world. You can charge anything from up to $10,000 and they have a new thing for super pros who can do things like 20,000-100,000 dollars.

I make an average of 4k a month using Fiverr.com. This month I made 5K. That is working 2 days a week less than 40 hours an entire month of work. So I don't know why folks be hating. How many artists make about 4k-5k a month with less than 40 hours per an entire month and consistent? I'm not saying it is for everyone but you can make money and now you can charge what you want.

Quote: sites like fiverr should be forbidden by international law. the name alone says it all. it's really an insult to any artist. to the OP: networking is really the best advice i can give, knowing people is still the best way of getting gigs. also if you do great work and put it out there regularly on vimeo, twitter, behance and co, people will eventually contact you. and of course try to do stuff that is somehow unique.

This is always a great way but you are talking to people who don't know where to start.

Oh and check this out
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauras...r/#584169631f8a

Like I said I make about 3-5K a month part time, less than 40 hours a month. . If we worked full time we would be pulling easily about 8K-12K a month.

I'm just telling you from 1st hand experience. Again Fiverr no longer has the 5 dollar limit. You can charge what you want. You just have to find the balance as to how much time to do the job vs how much it is worth to you.

I'm just saying it has given us employment, allowed us to be free and opened up a life of travel and living abroad. So please don't speak of things you just don't know about. You may give the wrong advice.

I mean if you have an artist from South Asia, Latin America or Africa you just may be pulling money out of the pocket of these folks who could make a good living because they are apprehensive about using a site like.

Like I said 1st hand experience. I don't even have to look for work. It comes to me. I've made over 100K on Fiverr.com.

I'm sorry some of you guys ain't business folk. The amount of FX houses shut down and laying folks off proves that. Sorry I have to disagree with you on this one. I have first hand account....I don't you you do unless you used it yourself but probably back in the day during the days of the 5 dollar limit. They've moved on.

Quote: Not a fan of fiver either. It treat our work like fast food.
And yet that is how Hollywood treats most folks, working you ungodly hours, changing things that cost a VFX money, etc. At least something like this gives the power to the artist. And if you live in America you do know how much fast food companies make. Yes your local McDonalds makes as much if not more money a year than your fanciest gourmet Chef Ramse restaurant. If they are looking for a way to make a living online and a good place to start it may work for them. 3.5-5K USD a month living in Thailand is like making 200K a year for some folks. I mean a ton of folks looking for a job may benefit from something like this.

I'm not advocating this site nor do I work for them. In fact I hate a ton of their policies and ways of doing things but the result is first hand. 2 days a week, less that 40 hours a month and about 3.5K-5K minimum a month. In the last 2 years I've been able to live in Japan, Ecuador and I'm moving to Taiwan, Thailand and back to Japan for the 20/20 Olympics just for fun. This year I may just go to Columbia for 6 months and hit the beach.

It has been freeing for me and may be freeing for someone else. Yes it can be low hanging fruit but money is money. I worked corporate America but now have been given 100% freedom. If I want to take 2 weeks off to go to the beach I can. Heck I took 1 week in March to go to Machu Piccu Peru and at the end of the same month I took a 3 week vacation to Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Osaka Japan. This has become a typical year for me for the past 2 years all because of a stupid site called Fiverr.com

Quote: I've tried sites like elance in the past, and found them to be absolutely awful.

At least with Fiverr.com you can set your own price and not their price. Let it work for you. There are Fiverr alternatives that you can set the price. Usually they are set in stone and customers come to you. The more your are seen, no matter the site, the more chances you have of getting hired.

Last edited by ilovekaiju : 3 Weeks Ago at 02:52 AM.

3 Weeks Ago
Congrats on your success on Fiverr @ilovekaiju , though it's a bit like Rick and Morty, there's an infinite Morty's, it just turns out in the Fiverr universe you're the Mortyest of them all.

3 Weeks Ago
Thanks area51visitor. The thing is I want to help everyone have the same level if not more success. I know how it is to do the 9 to 5 and be stuck in a job I hate and now I know how freeing it is to be your own boss and almost have a level of freedom that hardly anyone gets to enjoy. I want to help others as it took me about 2 years to get to that point. So while now I am lazy....I worked hard to be lazy.

I want everyone to have that opportunity and not miss a single possibility that may help them.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by everfresh: sites like fiverr should be forbidden by international law. the name alone says it all. it's really an insult to any artist. to the OP: networking is really the best advice i can give, knowing people is still the best way of getting gigs. also if you do great work and put it out there regularly on vimeo, twitter, behance and co, people will eventually contact you. and of course try to do stuff that is somehow unique.
Thanks!
I appreciate the insight.
I wish I was better at networking, but I really must spread my work out on social media more like you said.
About being UNIQUE.
I love that. I have so many unique ideas, but I feel like whenever I put out unique work, I get clients coming to me wanting me to match some other guys art style... :\

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ilovekaiju: And yet that is how Hollywood treats most folks, working you ungodly hours, changing things that cost a VFX money, etc. At least something like this gives the power to the artist. And if you live in America you do know how much fast food companies make. Yes your local McDonalds makes as much if not more money a year than your fanciest gourmet Chef Ramse restaurant. If they are looking for a way to make a living online and a good place to start it may work for them. 3.5-5K USD a month living in Thailand is like making 200K a year for some folks. I mean a ton of folks looking for a job may benefit from something like this.

YUP that's very true.
the love and inspiration people have for artwork basically funnels them into a slavelike work existence.
it's like that in games but worse in movie VFX.
AND people are happy to do it! because they love what they do.

In my opinion though, you should value yourself more than the job, and always have a mind that if an employer starts to abuse you, then you can give
them the middle finger and walk away.

Artists should NOT become like all those beautiful famous women who gave harvey weinstein sex just because he runs the movie biz.
Sure no artist going out sex, but working 60hrs a week with no over time is pretty bad also ...

1 Week Ago
If I want to use this thing to make a movie that *I* have an idea for - is that possible? ie. people will be getting paid AFTER the movie is released....!!!

reply share thread