Blade Runner 2049

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2017
Blade Runner 2049

Hi,

So why isnt there a thread about this movie, or is there ?

10 October 2017
Haven't seen it yet, but the buzz on websites like Rottentomatoes is very positive, and Denis Villeneuve is a competent director - Arrival was a good film.

I really love the original Riddley Scott BladeRunner, so I'm a bit scared that this one won't be as good.

One thing they didn't get quite right with 2049 is that the trailers don't impress very much.

10 October 2017
I am waiting with baited breath to hear how folks like it.
I want it to be great.

10 October 2017
I enjoyed it a great deal. I saw it Imax 3D but mainly because of the sound quality at my local Imax theatre. As with all things Imax and 3D, you get blown away at first and then your settle down. Blade Runner, visually and aurally, kept me blown away throughout. It was joy to behold - an incredible piece of world building. The city scenes looked real and 'lived in' ( rather than say,  when a director says 'action' and all the extras start walking at once together, like you see in most movies ). There are so many great details and moments that really breath life into this film and I doubt many folk will notice them.

The story however....... well it served its purpose and was above average imo. I never really bought into how the original Blade Runner story was poured over and explored. But with both stories and the mini films all tied together, it most certainly added to my lasting experience with the Blade Runner franchise. I hope it doesn't get squandered with a cash grab.

10 October 2017
From what I have read  it stays very true to the source material 
and even answers many left open questions from the original.
So Die hard fan,of the originals( like Me), will like it.

The downside??

The pedestrian ,uninitiated viewers were bored  as they 
had no point of reference to inspire them to sit for 169 minutes.

With a $35 million opening weekend it is considered a "flop"

Remember the orginal "flopped" at the box office as well back in the 1980's
yet is now celebrated as a "Dystopian Masterpiece" by most media pundits.

I personally dont go to movie theaters anymore but I will see this
new film on Bluray.

10 October 2017
Great movie i have seen last night, Ryan Gosling is one of my most favorite super hero and always he proves he is best. He is looking amazing in the movie. 

10 October 2017
Fact about me: I don't know what "dystopian" means..... anybody?

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Fact about me: I don't know what "dystopian" means..... anybody?
You always hijack threads with bs questions you can get an answer for on google in 1 second.  www.google.com (yes, type your question in the search field and press search). Please.

anyways. The movie.

sound design/music: 11!
visuals: 8
story: 2
casting: 1 (house of bladerunners?!, total distraction for me)
overall: 3.5

I dont want to spoil the movie, so i will be very general in my critique about the story. I think that instead of trying to connect open ends in the orginal movie, they should have done a "rouge one" instead. It could for instance Had been a movie about how the replicants in the original movie planned and escaped from the colonies to meet thier maker. In that case they wouldnt have to make up such a horrible story as they did, and they didnt had to show us a very tired harrison ford. This is the same problem as with the new starwars triology, they should let the memories of old heros laid buried in peace. 

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Fact about me: I don't know what "dystopian" means..... anybody?

A perfect, positive, wonderful world is often called a "Utopia".

A "Dystopia" is the exact opposite - a dark, depressing, broken down world.

Dystopian fiction typically takes place in a future where everything has fallen apart - government, society, cities, economies, the environment.

From Wikipedia:

A dystopia (from the Greek δυσ- and τόπος, alternatively, cacotopia,[1] kakotopia, or simply anti-utopia) is a community or society that is undesirable or frightening.[2][3] It is translated as "not-good place", an antonym of utopia, a term that was coined by Sir Thomas More and figures as the title of his best known work, Utopia, published 1516, a blueprint for an ideal society with minimal crime, violence and poverty.

Dystopian societies appear in many artistic works, particularly in stories set in the future. Some of the most famous examples are George Orwell's 1984 and Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Dystopias are often characterized by dehumanization,[2] totalitarian governments, environmental disaster,[3] or other characteristics associated with a cataclysmic decline in society. Dystopian societies appear in many sub-genres of fiction and are often used to draw attention to real-world issues regarding society, environment, politics, economics, religion, psychology, ethics, science, or technology. However, some authors also use the term to refer to actually-existing societies, many of which are or have been totalitarian states, or societies in an advanced state of collapse and disintegration.

Mad Max for example is Dystopian fiction. As is the original BladeRunner.

You can google this stuff or look it up on Wikipedia. Just type in "Dystopia".

10 October 2017
Its when big brother puts you in prison for being too lazy to google "dystopia" .

10 October 2017
I posted somewhere that this movie was only going to make 30 million the opening weekend and be a total failure/dud no matter how good it was.

Here is why.

Dystopian future scheme.  I think it has more to do with the color scheme.   I've talked about this before but colors tend to affect humans at an instinctual level.  This almost had a dreary, dark mood that also made it look cheap and that it was made in the UK.  
You ever see UK movies?  They do what they can with what they have but there is a certain level of cheapish look to it plus that darkness and depression.   
So looks kind of cheap, dark, dreary and bleh.   
I'm telling you the more it looks like a UK production the worse movies do at the box office.   

Plus all that deepness at 169 minutes.  Folks don't want that anymore.  Takes up to much of your day.  
169 minutes of dark, cheap, dreayness is too much.  

Plus Blade Runner wasn't as popular when it first came out.  
I knew it would fail.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by ilovekaiju: I'm telling you the more it looks like a UK production the worse movies do at the box office.   

Er.. go easy on us bro. We are not that depressing, and we can't all do the Hollywood cheese.

However, what you say does chime slightly. At the end of Blade Runner, the snow scene, that building looks like a lot of the grey and dreary buildings that litter the UK. 'Brutalism' is what it is often called, and I actually kind of like it. If anyone has visited the South Bank in London, you'll see many buildings with this look. It really does conjure up that dystopian look.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by ilovekaiju: I posted somewhere that this movie was only going to make 30 million the opening weekend and be a total failure/dud no matter how good it was.

Here is why.

Dystopian future scheme.  I think it has more to do with the color scheme.   I've talked about this before but colors tend to affect humans at an instinctual level.  This almost had a dreary, dark mood that also made it look cheap and that it was made in the UK.  
You ever see UK movies?  They do what they can with what they have but there is a certain level of cheapish look to it plus that darkness and depression.   
So looks kind of cheap, dark, dreary and bleh.   
I'm telling you the more it looks like a UK production the worse movies do at the box office.   

Plus all that deepness at 169 minutes.  Folks don't want that anymore.  Takes up to much of your day.  
169 minutes of dark, cheap, dreayness is too much.  

Plus Blade Runner wasn't as popular when it first came out.  
I knew it would fail.
Cheap?! So like Star Wars is cheap? All James Bond films are cheap? Alien was cheap too i suppose?
Pinewood is cheap?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...roductions#1978

But you are right Blade Runner was always a sleeper cult classic. Its really a SciFi Film Noir-I know many folks that were bored with it. But I loved at 14-never saw anything like it.

But you know what I'm board with?! Super hero films!  Give me even a badly made Blade Runner over any other fucking super hero film!  Talk about done to death.

10 October 2017
Quote: Er.. go easy on us bro. We are not that depressing, and we can't all do the Hollywood cheese.
Sorry about that.   I do like a lot of UK series and films.  But there is this look to it and possibly because of natural lighting in the scenes.  UK rains a lot and is pretty gray most of the year.  I think it lends itself to a certain look.   I think even Valerian while looking beautiful has that weird look to it that I cannot place my finger on it.   I think mentally it does something to folks.  Something is off a bit.  
It is interesting cause if you look at a frame of almost any given movie you can kind of tell it was an India, Korean, Japanese, European or American Production for the most part.  
Maybe some of ya'll who do color grading can explain it a little better.  

Quote: Cheap?! So like Star Wars is cheap? All James Bond films are cheap? Alien was cheap too i suppose?
Pinewood is cheap?

Like I said a weird type look to it especially if your are doing Dystopian type futures.    Those films listed had a little bit of American money and tech behind it.  Like I said I can't put my finger on it but there is a difference in American and European styes of shooting and color and I think it might be a little off putting for big productions to look like that.  IDK but I knew by the actual look of Blade Runner it would fail even if the movie was good.   I was right.  I said domestic opening is 30 million.  It did 35.  I said the same thing about Ghost in the Shell.  I was off a few million but was right.  I mean can't some execs in Hollywood see this stuff will fail if little old me can pinpoint what will fail or succeed at the box office?  

I do like plenty of British movies...Son of Rambow, Attack the Block, Sean of the Dead, Kings Speech, 21 Days Later.   My favorite movies are all from Asia but Europe does have a very different raw, gritty feel I think.  But the color scheme to Blade Runner and the look was off putting a bit, plus it was a sleeper hit that has kind of a niche backing to it.    Shouldn't have spent 200 million on it. 

Last edited by ilovekaiju : 10 October 2017 at 05:50 AM.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by skeebertus:
Dystopian fiction typically takes place in a future where everything has fallen apart - government, society, cities, economies, the environment.

Sounds exactly like my city!!

reply share thread