Laptop for VFX (NukeX, AE, Maya, zBrush)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2017
Originally Posted by pablow92: - 15.6" (I don't want it to be heavy or to have a big footprint)
- True UHD 4K display (to take advantage of working in a reduced screen)
- 100% Adobe RGB display (this is one of the hardest things to find)
- 7700HQ (minimum)
- GTX 1060 (minimum)
- SSD and RAM should be 256GB and 16GB minimum (Being upgradeable would be a huge plus)

Then how about the Razer Blade? Meets all your specs plus thunderbolt, only thing is it's a 14". It's a lot like my beloved macbook pro except the performance is actually decent.

06 June 2017
Serious question about 4K displays in a 15" laptop: Have you worked already with it? I tried to... I found it way to cumbersome to read or identify UI elements... well maybe I'm just too blind, but even with dynamic UI-Scaling within Win10, a lot of UI elements/text in other applications didn't scale and just added to the cumpersome experience.

I'm looking for a new laptop, too, but fullHD will be more ideal for me... how do you guys deal with this?

Kind regards!

06 June 2017
Originally Posted by mp-grafix: I'm looking for a new laptop, too, but fullHD will be more ideal for me... how do you guys deal with this?

I have an MSI GS73VR 6RF Stealth - its a 17.3" laptop with a 4K UHD screen. Very thin and light as well.

Basically, I work in 1920 x 1080 resolution for 90% of the time on it. This means that software UIs, icons et cetera are all normal sized. No problems occur. Its just like working on a normal 1080HD laptop.

But when I DO need to see or evaluate something that is in 4K I switch the resolution to 4K UHD.

For example, I write video processing algorithms predominantly for use with 1080HD. But to ensure compatibility and good performance with 4K footage and 4K screens as well, I periodically switch to 4K mode and test the algorithms in UHD resolution as well. Then I switch back to 1080HD and continue working on the algorithm.

The advantage of such a laptop is that you can work in 1080HD most of the time, but when something in 4K UHD resolution needs to be checked to ensure that it looks good, you can switch the desktop up to 4K resolution for a few hours.

1080HD screens cannot display the fine details of 4K UHD footage unfortunately. If you are in a situation where you need to ensure that 4K output looks good right down to the fine 4K details, you need to check the footage on a 4K screen.

06 June 2017
Originally Posted by skeebertus: I have an MSI GS73VR 6RF Stealth - its a 17.3" laptop with a 4K UHD screen. Very thin and light as well.

Basically, I work in 1920 x 1080 resolution for 90% of the time on it. This means that software UIs, icons et cetera are all normal sized. No problems occur. Its just like working on a normal 1080HD laptop.

But when I DO need to see or evaluate something that is in 4K I switch the resolution to 4K UHD.

For example, I write video processing algorithms predominantly for use with 1080HD. But to ensure compatibility and good performance with 4K footage and 4K screens as well, I periodically switch to 4K mode and test the algorithms in UHD resolution as well. Then I switch back to 1080HD and continue working on the algorithm.

The advantage of such a laptop is that you can work in 1080HD most of the time, but when something in 4K UHD resolution needs to be checked to ensure that it looks good, you can switch the desktop up to 4K resolution for a few hours.

1080HD screens cannot display the fine details of 4K UHD footage unfortunately. If you are in a situation where you need to ensure that 4K output looks good right down to the fine 4K details, you need to check the footage on a 4K screen.

Ah, understood

2 Weeks Ago
I bought an Gigabyte Aero 15" a few month ago.
A 4k version is in pipeline, but not available in the moment.

Specs are
i7 7700HQ
GTX1060, which brings up to 9 hours battery life. (serious work in 3D is about 3-4 hrs.) Any GTX1070 will shrink battery life to half or less as they do not support Optimus I was said.
My config was with one 16 GB Ram, so I could easily add another one. It is also sold with 2x8GB Ram.
M2 SSD 512 GB and another M,2 SSD slot where I put another 1TB.
Thunderbolt.
The SSD's vary quite a lot from confiq to confiq.
I have a "slow" transcend with ~400-500 MB/s installed, but they are also shipped with faster SSD's depending on confiq and country.
But actually the screen is HD, which is a better fit to the GTX1060 anyway.
Depending how much time you have, maybe it's worth to wait for 4k version.

I usually worked with Lenovo mobile workstations and so far I am quite convinced.
It is very calm until you really need power.
The fans can noisy if there are heavy operations, but only at this point.
I read about Razer Blades having fans on 100% during boot.

Noise would be a main criteria if I would use it for daily work. (Mine is for mobile only)
You are sitting pretty close, min. 8hrs a day. Too much noise could be very disgusting.

The Gigabyte has a gamer keyboard with all this light nonsense (you could config coloured hotkeys for each prog though)
Surprisingly this is the only con. Due to some hardware bullshit, it doesn't support all ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+anykey combinations on left hand site.
This will be changed in newer products.

Maybe the 4k version will have a 1070??

There are 150 pg. to read here:
Owners lounge

On notebook check there is a review as well and you'll find some reviews on youtube.

Good luck, wherever you'll decision will lead to.

Uuups, just saw the date. I guess all is done already. Sorry for spam.

Last edited by knacki : 2 Weeks Ago at 01:08 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
I also purchased the gigabye aero 15 for vfx work and upgraded it to 32gb ram. I really like this machine so far.

Benefits are as mentioned above the battery life. Also if you download the latest fusion upgrade it will fix the ctrl shift alt hotkeys.

I wanted a 1070 but im actually super impressed with the 1060 its handles everything ive thrown at it nothing less than 100fps.

The monitor is what attracted me it is Xrite colour corrected and even though it has 1920x1080 at 15" you dont need more as the pixels are dense enough. You can also hook up external monitors it scales to 4k. I also love the bezels.

My only issue with it is the wifi card is not amazing, works fine but it does packet loss which is not great for ganes but for work its perfectly fine.

Very happy with my purchase. Best laptop ive worked on. Ive used the dell workstations, hp workstations and the asus Rog. The aero is still my first choice.

Edit
If you are going to get an external monitor for home/office use i wouldnt recommend anything less than a 27" (5k if possible). You will need the extra headroom for toolbars editing 100% 4k footage. You can always zoom in on a 15/17" but its frustrating to work with, especially reading text. A good read on pixel density vs monitor size here
http://www.eizoglobal.com/library/b...y_4k/index.html

Last edited by NorthernDoubt : 2 Weeks Ago at 10:22 PM.

reply share thread