reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
iamhereintheworld
Expert
portfolio
I Am Here
Cyberspace, Viet Nam

3D Software shifting over to the web

..OK, so as I understand it, things like Maya and all are not available RETAIL anymore - now they're on a website !! Could someone please explain this to me? How're you supposed to use this software? Do you open your browser and go to www.runmaya.com or something? Do you have to download it every time? ...and how do you PAY for it? Especially from non-US countries? Is this TENABLE in places where there isn't fast internet yet (I assume the download size is huge?)
Why did they do this? ...and how do poor students, who, even when they were in 3D courses formally, *always* torrented it to practice at home, supposed to use it now??
Are they going to do this to all the other softwares as well??

Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
skeebertus
Expert
portfolio
S.A.Skeebert
USA

The current model - with Autodesk and Adobe at least - is this:

1) You cannot BUY the software anymore
2) You can only RENT the software - you pay with a credit card for this, monthly, yearly, whatever
3) The software is downloaded, installed, and periodically checks online if you have paid your "rent"
4) When you stop paying, the software doesn't run anymore

Quote:
Why did they do this? ...

It is very profitable for them. They make more money this way. They don't care what it does to software users.

Quote:
and how do poor students, who, even when they were in 3D courses formally, *always* torrented it to practice at home, supposed to use it now??

Autodesk and Adobe don't give a shit what happens to poor students.

Quote:
Are they going to do this to all the other softwares as well??

Yes. More and more software will become like this. Perhaps some day all commercial software.

That's a good thing though - Adobe and Autodesk totally suck as companies. Now NEW AND YOUNGER companies can come into the market that:

1) Create more innovative 3D software

2) Still let people BUY the software - not just rent it

Old 04-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Just a note for students you can access Autodesk software for free, you get an educational license which allows you to use the software for non-commercial uses.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
iamhereintheworld
Expert
portfolio
I Am Here
Cyberspace, Viet Nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeebertus
3) The software is downloaded, installed, and periodically checks online if you have paid your "rent"

..OK - so has someone cracked into this yet or not?? I assume they have....? (must be some fucking *useless* hackers out there, if they haven't.... - I mean the cracks of the Retail versions were pretty prevalent, far as I recall - as in, you could easily get a bootleg disc in a seedy area of town....?)

So.... - I'm guessing now BLENDER is the only option for poor students? I mean, really, if you go to 3D college, which you've *already* paid fees for, it's IMPOSSIBLE to come home and pay ALL OVER AGAIN for your home PC...??!!

Old 04-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

As DarthViper said, if you're a student (and they define "student" pretty broadly) you can get a free non-commercial license of Max/Maya.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
pomru
Expert

Yeah, check it out... http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all

My dark sense of humor likens this to a drug dealer, "The first dose is free...."

Old 04-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #7
unclebob
MALA IPSA NOVA

the bob
b/cs, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld
..OK - so has someone cracked into this yet or not?? I assume they have....? (must be some fucking *useless* hackers out there, if they haven't.... - I mean the cracks of the Retail versions were pretty prevalent, far as I recall - as in, you could easily get a bootleg disc in a seedy area of town....?)

So.... - I'm guessing now BLENDER is the only option for poor students? I mean, really, if you go to 3D college, which you've *already* paid fees for, it's IMPOSSIBLE to come home and pay ALL OVER AGAIN for your home PC...??!!

no, Houdini has a FREE version of its software you can download, only caveat is you cannot use it on commercial projects. but it gives you the chance to learn it

Old 04-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
unaccompanieddminor
PRO
portfolio

Would it be possible to subscribe temporarily, block Maya from accessing Autodesk and not have to pay any more money? Or, use the non-commercial version and do one off subscriptions whenever you have a paid project? And how can Autodesk find out you've been using non-commercial for commercial purposes in the first place, especially when it's combined with half a dozen other programs? ...Asking for a friend.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #9
NorthernDoubt
PRO
portfolio
James Vella
VFX Artist
Melbourne, Australia

As mentioned above, you can download the software for free if you are a student.

Non-commercial versions in houdini's case will not open on a commercial version of the software.

People, if you use the software professionally you can afford to purchase it - autodesk provide a rental model for $260 AUD per month, you can cancel at anytime. If you are charging less than this for a month of work - you are in the wrong industry.

Not to mention, currently - you are in the wrong forum. Take this conversation elsewhere, and heed the advice.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
iamhereintheworld
Expert
portfolio
I Am Here
Cyberspace, Viet Nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaccompanieddminor
And how can Autodesk find out you've been using non-commercial for commercial purposes in the first place, especially when it's combined with half a dozen other programs?

Yes, THIS is what I'm most curious about....

Anyone know?

Old 04-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

they dont care what one single person is doing...
autodesk is going to hunt you down if you have a big company and you use dozens of illegal lics...

Old 04-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #12
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

i more scared about the future...

big projects will be done in the cloud...
the freelancer artist does not need a lic... the company will just provide you the portal link and all software you need will be launched in the browser... you wont have any data on your computer like a terminal...
you have this already with shotgut and thefoundry does have also some software only in the cloud...
and with cloud im also talking about inhouse servers...

the remote desktop cloud is comming...

Old 04-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #13
luisRiera
Expert
portfolio
luis Riera
Graphics designer
America Television
Lima, Peru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeebertus

Autodesk and Adobe don't give a shit what happens to poor students.

Adobe and Autodesk totally suck as companies

1) Not true. Its free for students.

2) "This suck" doesn't count as an opinion. Please grow up.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #14
Leionaaad
rigger mortis

portfolio
Leonard Leon
generalist
freelance
Timisoara, Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to Leionaaad
Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
i more scared about the future...
big projects will be done in the cloud...
the remote desktop cloud is comming...

Yes. Some dudes showed nuke running in a browser, from the cloud, they were quite hyped that the performance was good even then.
I try not to be bothered by this possible future, but I am. I don't like it one bit. users lose basically all the control over their tools. I bet maintaining the servers where thousand of people use heavy processing power all at once will be expensive as hell, so for the time being we're all good.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
unaccompanieddminor
PRO
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leionaaad
I bet maintaining the servers where thousand of people use heavy processing power all at once will be expensive as hell, so for the time being we're all good.

Compared to buying and maintaining that processing power in house vs. having it centralized it should be theoretically cheaper. Companies will be more able to pay more precisely for what they use and Adobe/Autodesk/etc. will be able to pad out profit margins with an economy of scale.

That said I also really don't like the idea, especially with programs like Nuke that don't need much processing power to begin with; even my 8 year old bottom tier Macbook Pro runs Nuke just fine so why work in the cloud? Seems like an opportunity for these big companies to cement their monopoly and indenture customers instead of adding value to their product.

I'm hoping Blender will polish up and become standard, but I also just spent 4 hours trying to get a FBX file to export property out of the damn program so I don't know if that'll be any time soon.

reply share thread