CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
JennyAlive3
Explorer
portfolio

Getting into CG, what program would you recommend?

Hi there!

I am starting to really enjoy game design and I need advise on choosing an animation program. Here are the key factors for me:

I use Unity
I have made a small game in Unity & I want to add animations
The games I make are simple & mobile targeted
I don't need anything super fancy. My characters don't have clothing. It's all just a minecraft-style person & a texture
I like to make video tutorials on what I learn as I learn to help fund my learning.

As a newbie your help could bring me a long way.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

Blender... its free and you learn the basics first...
and its not a problem to jump later on maya or max...

Old 03-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

yeah, if yr going to start from 0 i'd recommend blender aswell.
Anything Autodesk is a big nono!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #4
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

There's also a lot of good free intro learning material for Blender.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
Strob
since 1994

portfolio
Jocelyn Strob Simard
freelance 3D Artist
StrobFX
Laurentides, Canada

I would recommend Blender for sure too. But if you are serious and know you really want to work in the industry, then also learn Zbrush and Houdini. With a base in those 3 you can't be wrong!

Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 AM   #6
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Blender is certainly a powerful optimal choice too kick start an introduction for 2D/2.5D and 3D Digital Creation Content pipeline but be prepared for a slightly steep'ish learning curve. So on that note check out BlenderArtists.org and/or Digital Tutors for quality self teaching resource material.

Cheers.

“I like criticism, but it must be my way.” - Mark Twain
WIP: Game Demo & Sketchbook

Old 04-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
skeebertus
PRO
portfolio
S.A.Skeebert
USA

If you have the money for it, Cinema 4D is very well suited to 1-person-game-development.

By that I mean development where you are coding the game mechanics AND you have to create your own 3D assets and game levels.

Fast, clean user interface. Quick 3D workflow. Artist-friendly approach to 3D.

Its very good for things like 3D game level design.

How well 3D characters export to Unity I don't know. You would have to ask that in the Cinema 4D forum on this site.

The only bad thing about Cinema 4D is that it is an expensive software.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
SweetSunhine
Explorer
portfolio

Japanese Software

I know a lot of people say start with Blender but there's this wondering Japanese software that I use unfouratenly it has no english translation but I figured it out (and I don't speak one word of Japanese.)

You can make a 3d model from an image blender is a good program to bring it into to clean up however name of program is. 六角大王Super6, I high recommend more people use it maybe they'll make an english one if we enlgish speakers get in popular? Haha

Old 04-05-2017, 03:40 AM   #9
unaccompanieddminor
PRO
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSunhine
I know a lot of people say start with Blender but there's this wondering Japanese software that I use unfouratenly it has no english translation but I figured it out (and I don't speak one word of Japanese.)

You can make a 3d model from an image blender is a good program to bring it into to clean up however name of program is. 六角大王Super6, I high recommend more people use it maybe they'll make an english one if we enlgish speakers get in popular? Haha

The English name for 六角大王Super6 is Hexagreat. Seems very limited; can only do mirrored models, can't animate, and only imports/exports in .ROK (a proprietary format for the software?) and .DXF, which I think Unity can't open as meshes, just as 2d coordinates.

Might be fun for you to play with, but it's useless for what you want it for. Use Blender.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
SweetSunhine
Explorer
portfolio

Disagree

It can make 3d models which have been used for animation programs such as MMD and Blender I say use both programs and it's a great program not useless at all...

And no I'm not talking about Hexagreat that's a 1994 program I'm talking about the one you have to buy called 六角大王Super6 made by the same man.

And yes you can animate in 六角大王Super6 it has a manuel for it and it also allows morphs and facial expressions. I have yet to find a English tutorial though.

You should look it up it's a really great program I got mines off a chinese website. I'll link the website where you can see more about it.

https://www.clip-studio.com/clip_si...aku/rokkaku_top

It a bit of a confusion there! Lol

Old 04-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
erikals
Lightwave Cop

erik alstad
Norway

i'm a LightWave user, and sticking to LightWave

but Blender is a safe and smart way to go.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #12
Tad
Expert

portfolio
Tomi Ajayi-Dopemu
Artist
Palo Alto, USA

Send a message via ICQ to Tad Send a message via AIM to Tad
yeah i'd just learn blender.
you could also learn 3dsmax or Maya.
those are the main 3 that everyone uses.
And that's your answer.
if you use ANYTHING else, you WILL be using a niche program that not many people use.
so just remember that.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:54 AM   #13
moogaloonie
Expert
portfolio
Casey R Williams
Lansignum Studios
Morgantown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSunhine

Another interesting piece of 3D software from Japan is Metasequoia.

http://www.metaseq.net/en/

Not only does it have English support, it appears to be a modern program that might actually be a viable option for a hobbyist/indie workflow.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #14
Adydoo
Explorer
portfolio

Cinema 4D. I started with it 6 years ago and I have stuck with it up until now. The beauty of this program is its apparent simplicity but the more you tinker with it and the more complex it will become, allowing you to grow your skills. There is a tight integration with substance, which is now the go-to app for texturing video game assets.

C4D's versatility makes it an excellent choice for general 3D. Its penetration is high in small studios and among freelancers.

It has its limitations too ( character rigging, old UV tools etc). For character sculpting, Zbrush is also the industry standard.

Last edited by Adydoo : 04-11-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #15
ChewyPixels
Available for freelance

portfolio
Jesus Bibian Jr
CG Artist
Freelance
Old Mill Creek, USA

Send a message via AIM to ChewyPixels Send a message via MSN to ChewyPixels
I wouldn't go with C4D for this. Keep in mind that any game dev workflow is going to require some good rigging, animation, and UV tools. I like Strob's suggestion of starting out with Blender (FREE!) then Zbrush and Houdini Indie. That should have your covered.

reply share thread