3D artists Making money on the side...Tell us your ideas..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2016
That's a cool link, but not the one im thinking of. The one im thinking of is a professional, large event, where you can pitch movies ideas etc .. you need to actually rent a space in advance, so i don't mean just roll up and then investors can come and shop around for projects to invest in. I knew one guy a few years ago who went there and had his live action film funded from an investor he found there. I'll try and find out the name of it and report back.

12 December 2016
Quote: everlite, I think you're talking about Cartoon Movie and related events ! The idea of mockbusters is really interesting, because yeah, kids don't give a f*ck, but this is a more "professional" event, I don't think you can come and pitch mockbusters there.

I'm sure you'd be suprised. Investors see money. Mockbusters make money apparently. You know the Asylum has been in business almost 20 years and boasts not losing money?

Many of those type investors don't care. They want to be in this type of investment, have fun and most importantly make money.

To be honest I could make a Guardians of the Galaxy Mockbuster for 15,000 in full cg. I think I'm going to start working on that.

I want to do one for SING! Using some great youtube cover artists.

I'm really just trying to learn the business aspect of it first so I can do a proper business plan. So if anyone know anyone who works on these type of films I'd love to know.

On a side note has anyone thought about doing a WEBTOON on Naver Line?

I hear that if you get chosen as a featured artist you do get paid pretty well.

Last edited by ilovekaiju : 12 December 2016 at 04:16 AM.

12 December 2016
Call For Pitches: Present Your Animation Project At Annecy 2017
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

12 December 2016
I'll check this out for my projects. Is it just for grants?

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by ilovekaiju: I'll check this out for my projects. Is it just for grants?

Sorry I dont have details on that..
BTW anyone here uses Cafepress?

12 December 2016
Quote: Sorry I dont have details on that..

I'll check it further and post it here. I get a little nervous about those things cause sometimes those things just rape creators.

Oh we will give you a grant and now own 90% of your stuff. Sorry it is ours now.

So I'll check back with you.

12 December 2016
leaving this here to make a point..
Check the youtube site for the hit count.

12 December 2016
I never quite fully trust these stat sites for youtube .. but worth seeing the stats on that youtuber:

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/supersimplesongs

Worth noting in this instance the creator is pumping out a few videos a month, highly active. So need to build up visibility to get these kind of views i think. But still great to see!

Thank.

12 December 2016
Yup. That is what I've been trying to tell folks. They are a niche market and you don't have as much competition as say the gamers get.

That is why I'm working on this very thing and in Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, English and French for starters.

I have more original characters and with mocap and few other tricks can get these out at record speeds.

Even on the low end
$44.3K - $709K
ESTIMATED MONTHLY EARNINGS
$531.7K - $8.5M

Sucks to go at it alone but I'm going to do it. I wish folks had collabed years ago. Instead of trying to play catch up they could have been leaders and been big, but no collabing, we don't work for free. I'm sorry but it is sad. I'v been saying it for years. In 2005 we could have done it and been a mega company like Rooster teeth or these guys by now. Could have been the first. The ability and power was there but the foresight of the community was not.

But can't look back though of what could have been. I'm just going to personally move forward slowly but surely. I'm only 1,000 USD away from my financial goal. So we will see. I wish I could have had partners years ago. I don't have the artistic abilty that I need otherwise I would have done it all myself so it has been depressing how long it is taking. I just need 5 more flipping 3d models, modeled rigged and textured for the kids show.

I've calculated I can pump out about 5-10 minutes a week with motion capture. Oh and I don't really need to clean it up because it's for kids. They want to see colors, movement and hear songs. MOCAP is good enough with some editing.

But yeah it has kind of been depressing over the years but now that I have more time and I am saving up I'm getting excited and now I can actually keep more of the money and invest it in my other IP and grow it like any other business.

I'll keep you posted as always to let you know if it works or not.

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by everlite: I posted an article about this on my blog the other day. You can see it here: article

I generate a modest amount of income from Istockphoto, Turbosquid and Gumroad. I think the trick to making money this way is good old, quantity, quality and originality. If you can tick those three boxes, you stand a good chance of making a little extra cash per month. Though it can take a few months to build up steam!

Beyond that I'd also recommend cross platform asset creation. By that I mean, create one piece of work that can be sold in multiple ways. For example I created this ship: click here I produced this for multiple platforms; I recording the process of creating the 3d ship and made this available as a tutorial via Gumroad, I rendered/painted the ship as high res matte painting and made that available on istockphoto as a stock image, I also recorded the matte painting process and made that available as a tutorial via Gumroad, I then uploaded the asset itself to Turbosquid. I could go one step further and create an animation and sell to various video libraries. The great thing about creating the image is that when people ask about the image I can tell them that the tutorial and the assets are all available through these platforms; so the image itself is a great vehicle to the other assets.

I think, many people in the industry that are in their mid 30's, have similar worries that in the current situation our creative energy, inner motivation, etc, our life isn't really sustainable. We are not our early 20's and I really feel like big companies suck our most valuable talents and will throw us away when we are done. Your solution is perfect in this sense. Creating our own intellectual properties and sell them in the internet makes perfect sense. Just thinking that many writers are able to live with their sole IP moneys, why can't we do the same. You are creating top notch visual assets so you definitely have enormous advantage in this "stock" job.

If I were you, I would move to a small, beautiful, sunny European city in Balkans, where you are a king with 2000USD a month.

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by everlite: I posted an article about this on my blog the other day. You can see it here: article

I generate a modest amount of income from Istockphoto, Turbosquid and Gumroad. I think the trick to making money this way is good old, quantity, quality and originality. If you can tick those three boxes, you stand a good chance of making a little extra cash per month. Though it can take a few months to build up steam!

Beyond that I'd also recommend cross platform asset creation. By that I mean, create one piece of work that can be sold in multiple ways. For example I created this ship: click here I produced this for multiple platforms; I recording the process of creating the 3d ship and made this available as a tutorial via Gumroad, I rendered/painted the ship as high res matte painting and made that available on istockphoto as a stock image, I also recorded the matte painting process and made that available as a tutorial via Gumroad, I then uploaded the asset itself to Turbosquid. I could go one step further and create an animation and sell to various video libraries. The great thing about creating the image is that when people ask about the image I can tell them that the tutorial and the assets are all available through these platforms; so the image itself is a great vehicle to the other assets.

Cool article! you have a cool blog!)

12 December 2016
Let me break it down a little bit here.

1. Micro-Services - side money (voice over, music, acting, editing, pre-made CG templates, drawing)

www.fiverr.com
www.ebay.com
www.elancer.com
www.freelancer.com

Also on a side note if you have animation or can do videos under your belt try creating a video making website, outsource all the work including sales reps who get paid only when you do.

2. Creating Tutorials

Gumroad.com
Udemy.com

3. Digital Clothes Maker

Here is the idea on how to the business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0kmkYtYZTQ

4. Digital Asset Creator

Daz3d.com (very targeted market but formatting and rigging may be hard)
Renderosity.com (2nd place for Poser and DAZ models)
Turbosquid.com (boo, so bloated and lazy)
Rederotica.com (NSFW but very targeted if getting into those anatomically correct models, Poser/Daz )
CGtrader.com ( )

Concentrate of monsters, creatures, armor, military, sets, and clothes

5. Service broker

Personal website, outsource all the work including cold calls to businesses by sales reps working on 10% commission.

6. Create IP and market products.
www.youtube.com
www.webtoon.com
www.instagram.com

Then sale Tshirts and other paraphenilia. It doesn't have to be merchandise of your characters. Just relatable to the product.

I just wanted to add to Roberto's awesome list. Thanks for the breakdown.

12 December 2016
Perhaps this questions has been asked before, but... how do the Youtube economics work?

I've been playing with the idea for a long time to make a series of tutorials, or tips and tricks, for free and hoping that the ads will bring some extra revenue. It would be mostly things that I've gathered and figured out over the years. Things that you would normally never find out through free tutorials, while still being presented in an accessible and useful way.

The idea is pretty simple. I've gathered a ton of useful and "good to know" things over the years, most of which are actually very hard to find. So, why not try to profit from that knowledge? Perhaps making a series of videos free for Youtube, and if there's a high enough demand maybe make some paid things for Gumroad or something similar.

Only thing holding me back is that there's a bit of startup cost. Like, buy a good mic, spend time recording and editing and so on. Not too hard to overcome, but I have no idea what value this could bring back to me.

reply share thread