3D artists Making money on the side...Tell us your ideas..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2016
I am curious to see how you guys feel about
Pateron? The artists sponsoring site.

AND BTW

here is another market you guys might want to look into:

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 12 December 2016 at 09:41 PM.

12 December 2016
I like it. Think it can be created for car wheels?

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d: I like it. Think it can be created for car wheels?

I don't see why not...(until they make it illegal of course.

12 December 2016
I know a few guys who do quite well on Patreon. They make at least a $1000 a month from mentoring a few heads. When I look at these people I can see they have an existing social following and command a lot of respect in the community. In the end it comes down to community interaction. Build that first, then you;ll have an easy time with Patreon and other such platforms.

12 December 2016
Personally not a fan of Patreon. I think they are hacks and here is why.

You basically have to promote yourself. Tell people about your Patreon. They go to Patreon and sponsor you and Patreon gets a piece of the pie.

That doesn't sound bad until you realize Patreon really does nothing for you but take your money.

You should get some discovery from Patreon. If I go to Kickstarter and look around I can find 100s of things I've never seen and could possibly sponsor.

I could go on Kickstarter right now and find games, comics, electronics, etc and discover them through Kickstarter. Kickstarter has a lot of viewers each day. That means while I promote myself I could theoretically get people come to me through Kickstarter. When I did one I got 25% of my pledges from people browsing Kickstarter. There is a way to discover you.

Patreon, not so much. They don't promote but a few people and your stuff is not discoverable. You have to promote yourself for people to go to Patreon and they basically just take your money. I can setup my own subscriptions thank you very much and promote myself. I don't need Patreon taking my money if they don't do anything for me.

I would like Patreon if they made your projects disoverable. They had a What's New, What's Hot, Trending and then broken down in sections and showed ALL the projects through the pages based on HOT, TRENDING, NEW, ETC.

No such deal so worthless if you ask me. You are paying them to do nothing for you but take a piece of your money.

Look I go to Patreon right now. It has top projects. Then I go to comics section. They have 2 featured comics..........?????? WHAT?! How many comic book creators do you think have a Patreon page. 200 maybe 2,000? Maybe more and only 2 featured?

So what is Patreon doing for me? NOTHING! I hate them.

When they fix that simple little thing then I will say they are legit.

Up to this point I hate them. You can use them if you want, but if you are spending your energy promoting yourself you should just direct them to your own page and keep ALL your money. Patreon is doing nothing for the art community if they are not helping in promoting the art community. They are just stealing your money for offering nothing.

Last edited by ilovekaiju : 12 December 2016 at 08:50 PM.

12 December 2016
I agree with that to an extent, Patreon isn't very active in promoting your work, so it is up to you to promote your own work. Patreon works for people who already have a strong following and this simply provides a means of bridging the gap. I have a few close friends who make quite a decent amount from Patreon with very little work involved, so seems to be working for some.

I guess Patreon is for some people and not others

12 December 2016
I think that is where people are getting suckered.

You have a big following. You put up a Patreon page and they take 15% of your money. If you have that following you might as well go to Fiverr and have someone setup a subscription page for you. $40 bucks or less and you'd have a page and a way for people to send you money as a Patreon.

Why use a 3rd party who basically does nothing for you?

You have to have people leave your page, go to Patreon, sign up and now someone takes 15% of your money for basically nothing.

While you should promote yourself you should get some promotion or discoverability from Patreon.

For example Fiverr takes 20% of my money but because of them I get 150 orders a month. I'm discover able under my category. Someone is looking for my service they will find me even if I'm on the 10th page I'm still there. Patreon you are not discover able in any way. But they sure are happy with your 15% for basically doing nothing.

If I have a million followers, I'll setup my page for them to donate off my site. I hate that Patreon is basically stealing from folks and not really providing a service in the long run but people have bought into it.

When I get a few of my projects going I'm going to setup a fake Patreon account and have people send me money on what looks like a Patreon page because sadly people have bought into it and have been programmed to go to Patreon.

Follow my Patreon page - link back to mysite/patreonfake.com

That is why I'm not a fan. Folks can do it but if you can promote yourself to yourself and keep your 15% that will be awesome. If Patreon offered some type of service other than taking artists' money I would be for them. Maybe they will change. It really is a simple change.

I think I should buy the site FPatreon.com and open up my own site and take 10% while I have seperate categories to promote artists. What do ya'll think? LOL Just found out it is available. There is a money making idea if anyone wants to run with it, minus the name. LOL.

I'm sorry bout my rant. They just strike a nerve for me. I'm all about making money but more so about helping people. If you can combine the both that is even more awesome. I just feel they are taking advantage of people by not offering anything other than a payment processing which Paypal does or I can have setup myself.

Last edited by ilovekaiju : 12 December 2016 at 04:14 AM.

12 December 2016
The thing that you have with Patreon, that you cant get from Fivrr / setting it up yourself is the brand. Patreon is a well known platform that many artists are very happy with and trust, on both sides of the fence.

In the end, i think with any platform, its best to test the water, don't jump in head first, see if it works for you. If it does great, if not, then no worries, try something else If a platform is truly screwing people over, it will inevitably fail in time, so time will tell.

Curious if anyone following this thread has used Patreon and can offer insight. Do share!

12 December 2016
Quote: Patreon is a well known platform that many artists are very happy with and trust, on both sides of the fence.

The concept is great. I don't mind the concept. What I do mind is their setup. Why don't they have a better setup to be able to be discovered. That is all. It is like a very easy thing to do and a very normal thing. Why they chose to be all hidden.

It works for people because they bought into it because it sounds good and now they can do what they want. They can go without doing any work of updating their site. People just automatically go to them now. They are trusted but really like I said do not offer anything to you other than now artists tend to lean toward them because now people use it.

Ebay-my product is discoverable. Gumroad-discoverable, Amazon-discoverable, Etsy-discoverable, indiegogo-discoverable, Kickstarter-discoverable. Udemy-discoverable, Soundcloud-discoverable, Itunes-discoverable

Patreon-nope, gotta have people go there by yourself and then on top of that you have to provide a specific link. I just see no point to what they do other than steal your money. 20% of my income should come through Patreon discovery.

What exactly does Patreon offer other than the fact they hijacked the business model and get paid to do nothing. I persoally don't get it. I would like to hear other folks who have experience with it help me understand what exactly Patreon does for you or would it be better just to do it yourself, or do the fake out like I said since users are now trained to do Patreon. It now gives some cred. But what exactly do they do for you?

Also in way of making money.....

Has anyone tried doing MOCKBUSTERS?
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/dvd/anim...list-94032.html

What do you think about doing some Mockbusters? Obviously they make money.
I was thinking of doing a side one just to test it out.
A Mockbuster of Guardians of the Galaxy but with an actual good script.

Also of Ninja Turtles but featuring Yokai Ninjas featuring Kappa and a 9 tail fox.

"4 Young Kappa are out to start trouble when they happen upon a frightened girl. They at first plan to eat her as Kappa like to do but her promise of the best cucumbers(Kappa love cucumbers more than anything) in exchange to save her village changes things. They save the village and start to take the cucumbers. Unbeknownst to them is a 9 Tails fox is watching them and disguises himself and hires them to take out the 9 tails fox of the forest. Little do they know they are being tested. The 9 tails defeats them all and spares their life. Without fulfilling the contract and having their lives spared they are now under obligation to serve the 9 Tails while he trains them to be able to one day defeat him. They must put away their evil ways and serve the people and go on the missions they 9 Tails tells them to. "

Make a unique mockbuster with a good script. Any ideas? Anyone know this market? Obviously people make money otherwise these companies would not still be around to make another and another.

I'm thinking you could use DAZ characters for normal people mixed with custom characters and do some motion capture with some added style to it to make up for some of the bad parts.

Thinking of pumping these out as well.

Does anyone have any connections to the ScifChannel or the Asylum?

Maybe we could get someone over here to do an AMA or something.

12 December 2016
I knew the guy who created A Cars Life back in the late 2000s (from the mockbuster list) I don't recall if he had a distributor or if he distributed the movies himself, but I recall having conversations about it. The thing i did take away from knowing him while he was working on those films was the limited resources he had. If i recall he was using his family to voice the characters, his son voiced the main character and he did some of the VO himself too. He found most of his artists and animators online, many came from craigslist. So this was definitely a shoe string operation. Aside from that, the most notable thing I realized was he had the distribution in place prior to producing the animation itself. Now you can look at this guy and say; Oh man; he ripped off Cars, such as loser ... BUT, this guy did make his money from those animated movies. He knew the one thing that most people seem to neglect when judging these mockbusters ... kids don't give a sh*t! lol it's a car with a face!! and it talks! Adding to that, you can't claim rights to a movie with talking cars! it's an age old concept for the last 100 years. Anyhow, I admired the guy for pushing those three movies out of the door, and that was before the days of Fivrr! lol .. i think ..

BUT .. in the end, you need to get a distributor interested very early on.

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by everlite:
BUT .. in the end, you need to get a distributor interested very early on.

It reminds me a lot of the Cannon model for movie creation in the 80s/
they are the studio responsible for Charles Bronson, Chuck Norris and Jean Claude Van Damme.

The modern equivalent for this are:
Asylum Pictures (Sharknado)
Magnet (Expendables)

12 December 2016
Yup definitely. I always wonder if there's truth in what they say about Asylum, that they come up with a poster and title first, then build a movie around that within 30 days lol .. personally i'd love to do some work for those guys! lol .. it's definitely on my hit list

12 December 2016
Quote: I knew the guy who created A Cars Life back in the late 2000s (from the mockbuster list) I don't recall if he had a distributor or if he distributed the movies himself, but I recall having conversations about it. The thing i did take away from knowing him while he was working on those films was the limited resources he had. If i recall he was using his family to voice the characters, his son voiced the main character and he did some of the VO himself too. He found most of his artists and animators online, many came from craigslist. So this was definitely a shoe string operation. Aside from that, the most notable thing I realized was he had the distribution in place prior to producing the animation itself. Now you can look at this guy and say; Oh man; he ripped off Cars, such as loser ... BUT, this guy did make his money from those animated movies. He knew the one thing that most people seem to neglect when judging these mockbusters ... kids don't give a sh*t! lol it's a car with a face!! and it talks! Adding to that, you can't claim rights to a movie with talking cars! it's an age old concept for the last 100 years. Anyhow, I admired the guy for pushing those three movies out of the door, and that was before the days of Fivrr! lol .. i think ..

Okay this is awesome! I would really want to extend my media company to include some mockbusters but actual good ones.

I was hoping to get one going for Guardians of the Galaxy.
Something like Protectors of the Universe, Guardians of the Universe, The Guardians In Space.
Problem is funding.
The voice actors, music and sound come easily. There are many musicians and VAs who are willing to work on things like this, only problem again goes to modelers. I sure wish I could model. I was thinking maybe just use DAZ characters and do some customs but kitbash the rest. It does get lonely trying to get this stuff done by yourself but I guess when I make it there it will be more satisfying. I want to be the case study. LOL.
I would love to hear from this guy. I'd love to see what his budget was and how much he made.

Hey Roberto do you have any contacts anywhere with some connections? Someone who could give us more info on mockbusters or even smaller investors? What about distributors? Anyone in the CG field have some connections. I'm so suprised how I really never seen anyone on these forums know anyone and yet they rub elbows with other artists everyday.

12 December 2016
There's definitely avenues to getting content distributed, however it usually requires a more direct approach. There's an event in Europe if i recall, i forget the name of it. Basically it's an event that happens each year where people go to pitch movie ideas to big investors. Roberto, do you know which event im talking about? i think it's useful for people to know about.

If you think you have a strong idea that can have a return investment then put together a pitch, make sure its a visual pitch with a clear, original idea / plan. Then find people who might be interested in investing and pitch it to them, ideally not over the internet lol ... look for other independent projects that became a success, find out where the money came from, if someone invested in the project etc, look them up. There's no shortage of people wanting to invest in the entertainment industry, just need to dig them up!

12 December 2016
everlite, I think you're talking about Cartoon Movie and related events ! The idea of mockbusters is really interesting, because yeah, kids don't give a f*ck, but this is a more "professional" event, I don't think you can come and pitch mockbusters there.

reply share thread