3D artists Making money on the side...Tell us your ideas..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2016
Nice post to that video Roberto!

11 November 2016
Great POST Roberto. Thank you. There are so many new avenues especially with VR becoming cheap and accessible. We are going to need to fill that niche with stuff.

By the way I love the Surface Pro. Goodbye Wacom. LOL

But I think it is nice to talk about this subject because there are so many creatives and maybe we can all find a creative way to make money vs just relying on 1 revenue stream. I understand that so much when my job of 10 years was pulled out from under me. Now I"m starting to build multiple revenue sources.

12 December 2016
Asset Stores

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/
Turbosquid (3d Models)
http://www.turbosquid.com/
https://www.daz3d.com/shop

3D Printing
https://www.sculpteo.com/en/
https://i.materialise.com/
http://www.shapeways.com/

Stock Photos/Video
http://www.istockphoto.com
https://www.pond5.com

T-Shirts
https://www.customink.com/
http://www.zazzle.com
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 12 December 2016 at 02:03 AM.

12 December 2016
I use both Pond5 and Istock for selling videos. Also depends on the video itself, i'd use those for more stock footage / generic 3d renders.

Regarding the Paint 3d - im not sure how this has potential, the content is accessing the 3d warehouse library, which is all free and pretty much covers every subject matter you can imagine .. the main issue with 3d warehouse is asset quality, given it's mostly created in sketchup.

I'm waiting on a platforms like Sansar, which is currently in beta (from Linden labs) at some point, some one is going to create a decent VR version of second life, at which point there will be a big need for 3d content.

12 December 2016
Another way to make money on the side is by teaching. I'm currently teaching ZBrush three evenings a week (six hours total per week) after work as part of a community retraining project for unemployed people and people who dropped out of school early wanting to up-skill for new jobs. I get paid 600 per month which works out at 25 an hour (that's a good rate here) and it is tax-free because I'm supporting the community project. I only have to walk around the corner and across the road to the centre to do the gig and if I get there before 7pm I get a free four-course dinner. I know all of the people doing the course because we all live in the same part of Dublin, so it's good craic and doesn't seem like hard work.
You don't always need to be a qualfied teacher either. I was recommended by a teacher at the local media college who was asked to do it but he only teaches May/Max and isn't all that familiar with ZBrush, so he asked me if I was interested. The only hard part was putting together a suitable course that would cover everything in the time available, I got some guidance with that.
I know teaching isn't everyone's cup of tea, sometimes I feel like banging heads together when they just don't get it. But at the end of the day it's another little earner and 25 an hour is 10 more than I get in my regular job.

12 December 2016
If you teach in the real world, why not teach on Udemy or skillshare too?

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by Dillster: Another way to make money on the side is by teaching. ....
I know teaching isn't everyone's cup of tea, sometimes I feel like banging heads together when they just don't get it. But at the end of the day it's another little earner and 25 an hour is 10 more than I get in my regular job.

I used to demo jockey 3ds max for local resellers. Then I'd be available for phone tech support and training either at the reseller or onsite at their customer. It paid better than teaching gigs as it was considered expert consulting services. It was just as frustrating though. Usually what happened was that people didn't want to hire 3d artists and the reseller made the product look good. When I did a demo, it probably looked easier to use that reality. Then the customers buy 3ds Max and want to be up to full production speed within a week.

I would train them for about 3-5 days. Their eyes glazed over and they'd say, well, can you just do these first couple of projects for us for a fee and then we'll get up to speed over time?

So the consulting gigs always grew legs.

Hey its like Microsoft is now claiming...."3d is for everyone now"

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by everlite: If you teach in the real world, why not teach on Udemy or skillshare too?

I hadn't thought that far ahead, as I got the teaching gig more by chance than intentionally. Up to that, I'd only put a couple of short tutorials on Youtube.
I'm not clued up on Udemy or Skillshare, just wondering if me living in the GMT zone would be awkward? At present it is hard to beat the convenience of walking across the road and putting in my couple of hours, compared to doing to online and presumably spending half the night there.

12 December 2016
Ah, no, I don't believe it works by a set time. From what I can tell, you provide tasks that they accomplish and im guessing upload for you to review in your own time and then provide feedback to the student. And to be honest, i think in this situation, it's very much the responsibility of the student to work around your time zone, not the other way around. But all said, i'm sure it's not dependent on time zones.

12 December 2016
I think you are right. I had a look and Skillshare only has four ZBrush videos compared to about 35 on Udemy. I might look further into this. Thanks very much for the info.

12 December 2016
Quote: I hadn't thought that far ahead, as I got the teaching gig more by chance than intentionally. Up to that, I'd only put a couple of short tutorials on Youtube. I'm not clued up on Udemy or Skillshare, just wondering if me living in the GMT zone would be awkward? At present it is hard to beat the convenience of walking across the road and putting in my couple of hours, compared to doing to online and presumably spending half the night there.

Do you work in Zbrush? Are you any good?

So while you work simply record yourself as you work. You don't even have to talk to much. I hate those videos where they explain EVERYTHING. I just want to watch you work and maybe a little explanation when something new comes up. Record it.

Do that for all your modeling and post some of them on Youtube. Then do a slightly more detailed version and sell it on UDEMY.

Check this out.

Now let us do some math.
4,068 students enrolled
It sells for $19.

So far...
$77,292.00

Is there money in it? Yes there is.

Now not saying you will make that but it shows potential and peoples interest in animation.
Could you do 2 or 3 a year ?

Basically he attacked a group that wants to do animation and do it simply. Can you come up with a method like that?

Now check this.
The guy has 21,000 people who bought his courses all together. They all sell for 19 dollars. Now do the math.
$399,000.
YUP. Almost 400,000 to show people how to do simple animation.

He ain't even really all that good but there you have it.

Hey guys I'm going to throw this out there. Why not we make an animated series? Document exactly how it is made. Make it like Anime or Pixar style? Record the whole process. Not just a behind the scenes and then sell the training.

We build the series like they do at Rooster Teeth- RWBY so in an anime style but better. I mean you don't think with Mocap we could do something quickly and nice in UE4 render engine. Utilizing a few custom characters and use stock background models with a few customs. Set it up like a manufactoring line so no one is putting in too much time. Again document it in detail and turn it into a kindle book, udemy training and ad adsense, affiliate products, tshirts and merchandise(as it grows) and go from there.

Once successful with one story grab someone else from the team and setup a similiar process for them.

I'm not talking shorts or proof of concept. I'm talking Webtoons (once featured you get paid), animated series in same vein as RWBY and a few other shows like Rooster Teeth does.

Look this has been my plan for awhile. I'm going at it alone and paying folks a little at a time so the speed is slow as I'm not rich and pay pennies on the dollar cause that is all I can do but it is slow. I'm doing it all on side money.

But how many Rooster Teeths are there. They have their own convention now. Why couldn't folks in the cg community do something like that? I've always wondered that. It doesn't have to be perfect and if you look at the Machinima groups you can turn out stuff quickly once assets are created. UE4 render engine would be perfect. Doing real time recordings would make it as fast as movies with some keyframe action scenes thrown in as well depending on the story. It doesn't have to be action or it can.
Do it real time live. It is possible now.

Last edited by ilovekaiju : 12 December 2016 at 06:28 PM.

12 December 2016
This is a great thread with lots of fantastic advice!

Out of curiosity - is there anyone here who made paid online tutorials? If so, which platform worked best for you?

Ones like Digital Tutors/Pluralsight, Udemy and Gumroad... Anyone?

12 December 2016
I have made paid tutorials but in a whole different market. It was the How to Make Money Market at WSO.

Udemy is a great place for tutorials and I hear Gumroad is pretty good.

You can also turn it into a Kindle Interactive book with videos and words and sell at the Kindle store.

12 December 2016
I sell tutorials through Gumroad (i think there's a link below) and I'm preparing to launch a Patreon. The success of any video tutorial comes down to a number of factors, quality, originality, how often you interact with your target audience, your perceived experience and how well you promote the product and finally when you release your product.

12 December 2016
One feature I like about Gumroad is the feature that allows you to set up a reoccurring subscription service for customers. I see a lot of artists using this for products like brushes etc Here's one artist that appears in my inbox every few days; https://gumroad.com/mdunnam despite his frequent emails, I actually like his sales techniques, worth subscribing to!

So curious, what other ways could CG artists use a subscription service?

reply share thread