3D artists Making money on the side...Tell us your ideas..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2016
Yup, Fivrr definitely get's bad name because it's assumed the going rate is $5 (or pounds, i forget) this definitely isnt' the case. I use Fivrr more from a buyers perspective. There's one girl on there that does voice overs for something like $5 for 75 words, the last I spoke with her, she had 80 jobs to do in 2 days most of which were in the 200 word range, do the math on that! around $400-800 every two days, not so bad! Here's her page: https://www.fiverr.com/linneas88

Low lying fruit - i'd expand upon that by saying; when you have enough fruits, plant a fruit tree!

Regarding the tshirts, beyond submitting to various POD sites I have no experience in this. Though i think the solution would be hiring someone else to actively promote your content with a commission.

Childrens content - Yes, this opens a lot of cross platform selling. Also one of the top 10 most viewed youtube videos of all time is one of those crappy animated shorts aimed at kids Should note, I worked with a high profile youtube star some years ago and one thing i discovered, not sure if this still exists, but at the time (around 2012) youtube was paying very differently depending on your profile level ... ie; the person I was working with was getting paid a much higher percentage than average to push people into the system of doing the same. So be careful with this as a business model. I guess getting third party sponsors would be the answer.

11 November 2016
This thread is full of inspiring info, @ilovekaiju, it was your post some time ago I referred to earlier, you said you got into trouble for it, does that mean it was deleted? - anyway thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I have some talents as a traditional and 3d artist, though I do lack that entrepreneurial spirit, I guess it's not my nature - though I think if I saw something I was doing produce the bucks in royalties or gave me a steady stream of cash it would give me the impetus I need. I certainly need to venture out from what I'm doing, to safe-guard my future as much as anything.

How important is it to be passionate about what you're doing for this money on the side? - I see these great ideas and think I could conceivably do them but I have doubts when my heart isn't in something, perhaps it's important to find that happy medium between the two.

11 November 2016
Quote: How important is it to be passionate about what you're doing for this money on the side?

It's a slow burning process. Whenever I put content onto Istock for example it takes around 3-6 months for them to build up a steady flow. Not sure quite why this is, maybe something to do with their search engine.

Gumroad has a more immediate impact, but slowly dies off. It's best to have an existing audience, followers etc

Typically if it depends on a search engine, be prepared to wait a while. If you can promote your content, then sales will steadily begin more immediately, then slow down.

So do you need passion? is it important? Absolutely!

11 November 2016
thank you for taking the time ilovekaiju to write this!

This is the information I have been looking for, supply and demand! Its so easy to get stuck down the rabbit hole of how things should be (or what our ideal world in CG could be), instead of what the market needs. Thanks again for the reality check and your due diligence.

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by everlite: So do you need passion? is it important? Absolutely!

I get that, sounds absolutely logical but when I watch those plumber spokesperson videos posted by ilovekaiju I can't fathom how anyone had passion for that process, money must be a large motivating factor. You said on your blog that you experienced a 'giddy' feeling when the money came started to come in, doesn't that change the mind-set a little?

11 November 2016
Money motivates me through quite a bit of sludge work. Although, if I get a ton of requests for changes or the sludge work requires too much back and forth with a client, then I can burn out of it quickly.

Sometimes though, the most simple, non-brain power production work can be quite gratifying. It's always a good feeling to use your skillset, computer and internet to generate revenue.

11 November 2016
I hope I"ve been able to help. Like I said I'm not a real CG artist but do media work for a living.
It has allowed me to have financial freedom and not rely on some business who can fire me at anytime.
I wish more CG artists could do this. I think some business acumen is needed. I see too many artists going for the VFX, Animation mecca houses that hire and fire all the time vs the low lying fruit that is always there.

Do you go for that big job that gives you 10K for the month then off to find other 10K jobs? Great pay not as stable.

Do you do that 9-5 job which earns you 5K a month? Stable off and on. Good pay but takes all your time and energy.

Or do you get the low lying fruit that gets you 3.5K a month but consistent and less of your time? Quick, easy, consistent and gives you more time for building other business or projects.

Seriously if I invested full time in this gig I'd easily make 100K.

There are just so many little smart little options that if you put together can make some great income. I know folks making models for DAZ3d and making 40-100K a year in residuals.

11 November 2016
Quote: I get that, sounds absolutely logical but when I watch those plumber spokesperson videos posted by ilovekaiju I can't fathom how anyone had passion for that process, money must be a large motivating factor. You said on your blog that you experienced a 'giddy' feeling when the money came started to come in, doesn't that change the mind-set a little?

I'd say it's a validating feeling and one that tells me that this is actually possible, and not just something that happens to a friend of a friend lol

For me at this point its almost an addiction, I need to explore different paths just out of curiosity, money is definitely a motivating factor but it's become more about seeing what's possible. There's so many opportunities for selling digital content. A large part of making a product that sells comes down to promoting your product, so it really is in your own hands, the real question then becomes how do you promote your work.

I have multiple small projects on the go and there's always a chance when I publish these products that they're never going to sell, for example I'm working on a short children's animation / story, i'm in the process of creating various environment assets for the Daz store, I'm writing an ebook on this exact subject, working on multiple stock images; there's always the risk this is wasted time, but it's an evaluated risk.

There's a lot of barriers that prevent people making money from selling digital content:

They spend too much time thinking about it and not enough time actually doing it

They focus on too many projects at once and never complete a single project

Their project is over ambitious and way beyond their own means

They don't understand the market they're selling to

They go way too high on the prices. We're in the time of micro transactions, you have to work within this model of business. Selling a product at $2 is going to generate far more in a month than $10

People assume you just upload the content and that's it, the money will role in. Nope, it takes either time and promoting your work or both. It's like growing a tree, take care of it, nurture it, feed it, an over time it will blossom.

I'd like to open this conversation to ask people about promoting their products. How do you promote? Clearly social media is a big part of it, but any other great techniques out there?

11 November 2016
No one mentioned the most obvious and boring option... get a job where you dont need side jobs to support yourself :P.

In all seriousness, having experienced fatherhood and gone through every animation\cartoon on youtube trying to entertain the little ones, you realize the potential that kids cartoons\animations\music videos have, anywhere from simply making adsense $ to being picked up by a publisher\production to selling your ip, Kids are creatures of habit, if they like one cartoon, they will watch it over, and over, and over, day after day... some toddler focused cartoon channels have hundreds of millions of views, craziness.

11 November 2016
Quote: I get that, sounds absolutely logical but when I watch those plumber spokesperson videos posted by ilovekaiju I can't fathom how anyone had passion for that process, money must be a large motivating factor. You said on your blog that you experienced a 'giddy' feeling when the money came started to come in, doesn't that change the mind-set a little?

I know it is boring but once you get going you can automate the process where you really do nothing. You outsource everything to someone who can do it for you.

Once the money comes in it get a little fun so see how much less you can work and still make money.

I went from my normal 9 to 5. Then I did videos on the side at night for about 1 year straight, so almost like working 2 jobs.

But then one day I was able to quit my day job and now work about 16 hours a week tops. That leaves me 5 for my own personal stuff.

Now what can you do with 5 free days?

I used the other 3 days of the work week to do other projects. Projects where I build new businesses. Right now I finished an adult activity book. WSO training tutorials on how to make money, a video site and 3 blogs (HowToMakeYourOwnAnime.com), KpopCrazy.com and 10To5HowToMakeMoneyOnline.com. Check em out.

Now for those projects they are my side projects. I'm using those to earn money to start my 2 love projects.

Quote: In all seriousness, having experienced fatherhood and gone through every animation\cartoon on youtube trying to entertain the little ones, you realize the potential that kids cartoons\animations\music videos have, anywhere from simply making adsense $ to being picked up by a publisher\production to selling your ip, Kids are creatures of habit, if they like one cartoon, they will watch it over, and over, and over, day after day... some toddler focused cartoon channels have hundreds of millions of views, craziness.

CHILDREN's Nursery Rhyme Animations.
Here is a character from the soon to be show.

http://howtomakeyourownanime.com/wp...76377255229.png

I have 4 other custom characters that will be added to this.
A Sasquatch, Trex, Red Panda and a Tardigrade. I know it is weird mix but we are talking about little kids. The rest will be generic characters used by like 3d Universe.

It will be a mix of old school public domain nursery rhymes and original songs mixed in with a little more edge to them. Some side stories with the characters.

Adsense will be used to generate money but also I want to be more self sustained so actually working with writers to take those same 3d models and do children's books. So I'll be selling books about the characters to the fans of the show. If it gets bigger then I will do more plushies and such.

So if you are a parent you know this is a great market. Animation is time intensive and there are less Nursery Rhyme companies than you think in terms of competition. So if you are a modeler this is a plug. I'm looking for modelers.
Also did I mention this will be done in around 5 langauges to start with. Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French, English, Korean. I'm hitting tons of markets. But basically all I have to do is make 5 songs but use the same animation for 5 different videos. WOW! That is what you call monetizing.

So yeah you may have to do something boring at first but then you can get into other stuff once you get more automated.

I have my projects in phases.
Phase 1 - no day job and purely online money and travel the world
Phase 2- my wife no longer has to work and I'm doing kids projects and my friends are running my "boring" businesses and they work 2 days a week like me and I get 20% of the business I created for them.
Phase 3- I work for fun on my online webtoons just for fun and any profit is just cake. I hire more folks to do all the work while I simply delegate and tell stories.

Phase 1 - DONE!

I've streamlined all the processes. I know some would cringe at some of my processes but I'm not a perfectionist. I'm using stuff like POSER and IClone for quicker animations. I know sick right but it will get the job done until I can upgrade my skill set by hiring Maya, Max animators and stuff in phase 3. LOL

So guys my biggest advice to you is just do it. Find something and put some time in it. It may be a sacrifice but it can pay off bigtime.

Don't let perfectionism bog you down. Don't think any job is too small. Just calculate your time and money properly. I mean you don't want to work for peanuts if it is going to tax your time. Don't think you are too good for certain markets and then use your abilities wisely.

That is my advise coming from someone who doesn't work as much as the normal person and gets to live in other countries, travel and meet interesting people.

I do what I set out to do.

Oh by the way. Here is my Brother In laws blog. We took him with us. He is actually going to be my jingle writer. He just started his own blog as he travels around with us.

http://chasingecuadorwithabel.com/
He made some side money writing blogs for a company. Hahah

11 November 2016
Quote: No one mentioned the most obvious and boring option... get a job where you dont need side jobs to support yourself :P

It's a good point you make there; while I know the statement is light hearted I think it's a good question worth answering. Why not just get a 9-5 job and use that to create an income; let's face it, that's what most people do right?

I can only speak for myself when I say this, as everyone has different reasons. For me, I do freelance work through the day, which definitely covers my monthly costs, that's my main source of income. However doing this work is mandatory for me to sustain my monthly costs and a negative aspect of the work I do is the time it takes away from spending time with my family, working on passion projects and living a more healthy life. If I was in a position where I could generate enough income to cover my monthly costs I would be in a position where I wouldn't need to focus so much on freelance work and I would be able to spend more time with my family, more time on passion projects (which aren't all computer based lol) and so forth. In whole, it's about balancing out, and improving the quality of my life.

Think about it, if you work 9-5 away from your home, you spend only a few hours a day with your family, doing a job that many people might not enjoy. We should aspire to balance that out a little

11 November 2016
Quote: Think about it, if you work 9-5 away from your home, you spend only a few hours a day with your family, doing a job that many people might not enjoy. We should aspire to balance that out a little

Once you have a taste of no longer doing that 9 to 5 you will never want to go back. I don't even know how people do it anymore quite honestly. I'm like "I did this for 20 years"? What? And I had pretty easy jobs. I had one job where I basically watched movies all day. LOL. I mean I really did get to watch 3 or 4 movies a day. Man if I had crunchyroll back then.

But yeah I don't want to go back to any job that is 9 to 5 unless it is making my own cool stuff and being the bossman. I'm a good boss, don't worry bout that.

If you guys start using any method or know of any new ways please let me know. I'd love to hear more.

I thought this one was interesting.

11 November 2016
First of all, thanks to ilovekaiju and others for all the great advices.

I'm 23 from France and just got out of a (bad) 3d school with my degree. Im currently working with children in a public school, something that has absolutely nothing to do with 3D. My goal for the years to come (hopefully, starting in september 2017) is to travel and discover the world, and i need money for that, no matter where it comes from. But I would like to create a passive income for when I travel. I know on such a short time i cant expect to make 2k a month, but actually thats not my goal, if i could make just a few hundreds that would be perfect. So ilovekaiju, i have great admiration on what youre doing, being able to live in different countries with mostly your passive income.

You all motivated me and gave me ideas, but I still have few questions!
I love the idea on cartoon for kids on youtube, but how do you target them? When you start, how do you do to make them watch your cartoon? When I see the quality of the videos i see in the first post from ilovekaiju, the bad ripoffs and stuff, it seems more than doable in terms of production.
I also love the idea of videos targetting some professions, but again, how can you start? In France you cant pay people only on commissions so finding commercials is out of the picture, the few bucks i win pay my life, but i cant support someone else.
Something that surprises me, is that only few people are talking about selling models? Seems like it does not worth the time and effort when you mention it. Actually my speciality is modeling, so I was thinking about selling some simple stuffs (like you said, better 1000x2$ than 1x2000$), some bundles of items that can be used in many scenes from different contexts. But no one talks about it like its an idea as good as the others.
Last but not least, i have a passion for photography, and i think im not too bad at it, i actually had one or two contracts for events and stuff like that, but nothing substantial and nothing that generate a passive.income. What are the low hangin fruits in photography? Is there a way to make some bucks with it? Theres already so many things available on websites like istock, i dont know how its possible to find a place there.

Again, thanks everyone ! And sorry for my english, but I think its still readable.

PS: ilovekaiju, you mentionned that you were looking for modelers. Can you tell me more about that here or in PM?

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by everlite: It's a good point you make there; while I know the statement is light hearted I think it's a good question worth answering. Why not just get a 9-5 job and use that to create an income; let's face it, that's what most people do right?

That's a temporary fix and your whole income is reliant on 1 to a few people not screwing up or screwing you. Poor people have 1 income source. Wealthy people have up to 7 sources of income.

If you want to avoid having your ass handed to you financially at some point, then you better establish multiple streams of revenue. The biggest mistake for an artist or any creative person with the ability to create something from nothing is to rely on 1 source of income when you can have many. Even if they are small.

A guy mentioned the other day, if you make $100k a year at a job then it can be taken from you in 1 day. However, if you make $100k from 10 different streams of revenue and only 1 falls off, you are down to only a percentage, not 100%. Businesses run the same way. If they have only 1 client and that falls through, the whole business collapses. Considering that ALL businesses are in a state of collapse and if they are not growing faster than they are collapsing, they fail sooner rather than later. You should never rely on 1 business or source to feed yourself and/or your family.

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by Gooner442: This thread is full of inspiring info, @ilovekaiju, it was your post some time ago I referred to earlier, you said you got into trouble for it, does that mean it was deleted? .

I am nurturing this thread. Dont worry about posting your ideas.

I got a question,
Besides I stock photo who is else is a good re-seller of clips?

BTW here is a market you guys should be looking at...

This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 11 November 2016 at 04:45 PM.

reply share thread