Is Lightwave dead?-EDIT Nope- New Release

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2016
- Create Newtek Foundation.
- Make LW free opensource.
- Accept donations.

//edit
Lightwave 8.5 here

Last edited by Carlosand : 08 August 2016 at 08:40 PM.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by Carlosand: - Create Newtek Foundation.
- Make LW free opensource.
- Accept donations.

Blender needs a competition too

08 August 2016
funny how all of the sudden Lightwave would have value if it was released for free. No wonder things are a mess.....but it might be something they could consider.
Having said that Newtek should release the Modeler program into stream and sell if for less than 100 bucks. It is fantastic polygon modeler.
Hell baring its interface problems, and the good old and valid, complaint about modeler being a separate program (something being fixed as we speak) the program has awesome toolsets.
The Bullet implementation of the program is great, Nodal tools for rendering and shading are also great. The 3rd party suppor is greatt, Like LW cad and Liberty 3d tools.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 08 August 2016 at 01:08 PM.

08 August 2016
Quote: He worked in SideFX as a developer for Houdini and has tons of friends there, he also let me see the source code (though I am no programmer so that was useless :/ ). he can get me that license for the latest installment whenever he wants to for free*

Ok. So you have a "friend" that first gave away a full license for Lightwave, but you didn't want it, so you have another "friend" that gives away a 5k license for Houdini 15 and on top of that is a developer showing you the source code for Houdini... First of all, if this was true, he would be doing something that would risk his job, and that's unlikely.
If you are not a developer, why would he do that anyway? Why do you lie about this? What you’re saying makes absolutely no sense.
Just use your pirated software and live happily ever after, but please don't tell stupid lies. that's just too stupid...

Last edited by Baltazaar : 08 August 2016 at 04:05 PM.

08 August 2016
From Rob Powers head of the LW group at Newtek

"My intention is to forumulate a more formal communication on this but I had surgery last Thursday and have needed a few days for recovering (all is well) and I did not want to wait to get the message out so I figured I'd start with these direct posts to directly answer these individual concerns."

So that explains a bit of what is going on.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by circusboy: I think another thing to factor in is Linux. High profile VFX and Feature Animation are VERY commonly done one Linux pipelines today (I've worked in nothing but for the last 5 years). Those software that get away with not offering Linux do something unique and indispensable that lets them get away with it (ZBrush for example). And a few alternative windows machines will get plugged in for those users only.
LW would have to come up with a unique indispensable feature to get added into established pipelines. 'me too' features aren't enough. No Linux is just another big barrier to getting in the spot light again.

Nah, I don't think that Linux is an issue at all.

3DS Max only runs on Windows and nothing else, and what is its unique indispensable feature? None.
It brings nothing on the table that cannot be done with all the other apps.

That's why I don't think the lack of a Linux version of LightWave is or will ever be a major issue.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by MannaTheBerserk: That's why I don't think the lack of a Linux version of LightWave is or will ever be a major issue.

Sure...as long as you are not doing feature VFX and Animation...

All the pipelines I've worked on in the last 5 years (in Montreal) have been Linux. Neither Max nor LightWave will ever be anything but an occasional one-off asset contributor at most to such pipelines. They can never be core apps without building an all new from the ground up pipelines.
And neither Lightwave or Max offer anything unique enough to motivate doing such a dramatic switch. So Maya and Houdini rule this area of production now.

So very much industry dependent...but not easy territory for either Lightwave (or Max) to make a stake in as it stands today because of that limitation. And that was my point. Even Blender is more ready for the job.

Last edited by circusboy : 08 August 2016 at 05:49 PM.

08 August 2016

those pipelines seem way to hyped to me.
i can't think of anything that i can't script myself in LightWave either through Python / AHK, or in worst case having a C++ coder.

the Maya pipeline hype got old 10 years ago.
however, yes, none of those companies are willing, or should, switch to LightWave.

LightWave is for the Freelancer / Generalist and will be for many years to come.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by circusboy: Sure...as long as you are not doing feature VFX and Animation...

All the pipelines I've worked on in the last 5 years (in Montreal) have been Linux. Neither Max nor LightWave will ever be anything but an occasional one-off asset contributor at most to such pipelines. They can never be core apps without building an all new from the ground up pipelines.
And neither Lightwave or Max offer anything unique enough to motivate doing such a dramatic switch. So Maya and Houdini rule this area of production now.

So very much industry dependent...but not easy territory for either Lightwave (or Max) to make a stake in as it stands today because of that limitation. And that was my point. Even Blender is more ready for the job.

Sorry dude, but it's clear that you are not aware of the existence of other pipelines.

Let's get an example, shall we?

Atomic Fiction, a company whose projects are the following:

Deadpool
The Walk
Star Trek into Darkness
Transformers
Game Of Thrones
Looper
Flight

Guess what software they have, among the others, in their VFX pipeline? Yep! 3DS Max.

3DS Max, heavily used for VFX and rendering in many of their productions.

I am a Maya professional user since its first release on Irix ( SGI ), when it was Alias|Wavefront, and I am still working with it and many other Autodesk products ( Max included ).
All Autodesk products for VFX have the one click interoperability feature that makes all the assets able to be shared seamlessly between the different applications. No problems at all.

I have been working in this field since 1998 with Maya, and even earlier with few other 3D apps, including LightWave, when CGI was at its very beginning.
I have many friends former colleague of mine that still work in the VFX industry today, in some of the most important VFX companies in the world: MPC, Framestore, Double Negative, Cinesite, Peerless Camera Company, Pixar, ILM...
They all have different pipelines based on different systems. Some are Linux, others are Windows and other again are hybrid.

The pipelines you've worked on over the last 5 years don't mean you know them all.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by erikals:
those pipelines seem way to hyped to me.
i can't think of anything that i can't script myself in LightWave either through Python / AHK, or in worst case having a C++ coder.

the Maya pipeline hype got old 10 years ago.
however, yes, none of those companies are willing, or should, switch to LightWave.

LightWave is for the Freelancer / Generalist and will be for many years to come.

Well asset data management and pipeline tools proprietary to each and every show. 50 plus people working together on the same project.
Until a freelancer can crank out 50 to 2000 related shots himself in just a few months the pipeline ain't going anywhere. And is a regular source of work for more than a few of us...

08 August 2016

i'm just saying that the pipeline argument itself is hyped today.

(for reasons explained)

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by MannaTheBerserk: Sorry dude, but it's clear that you are not aware of the existence of other pipelines.

Let's get an example, shall we?

Atomic Fiction, a company whose projects are the following:

Deadpool
The Walk
Star Trek into Darkness
Transformers
Game Of Thrones
Looper
Flight

Guess what software they have, among the others, in their VFX pipeline? Yep! 3DS Max.

3DS Max, heavily used for VFX and rendering in many of their productions.

I am a Maya professional user since its first release on Irix ( SGI ), when it was Alias|Wavefront, and I am still working with it and many other Autodesk products ( Max included ).
All Autodesk products for VFX have the one click interoperability feature that makes all the assets able to be shared seamlessly between the different applications. No problems at all.

I have been working in this field since 1998 with Maya, and even earlier with few other 3D apps, including LightWave, when CGI was at its very beginning.
I have many friends former colleague of mine that still work in the VFX industry today, in some of the most important VFX companies in the world: MPC, Framestore, Double Negative, Cinesite, Peerless Camera Company, Pixar, ILM...
They all have different pipelines based on different systems. Some are Linux, others are Windows and other again are hybrid.

The pipelines you've worked on over the last 5 years don't mean you know them all.

I've been doing this since 1991. And have and am working at a few of those above places myself- and many are indeed Linux now.
And I've worked at many pipelines that weren't Linux as well-but not newly created ones in the last 5 years. This trend is Linux for pipelines that are built from scratch today. Not reluctant to transition from something established 15 years ago.

Oh -and Look closely at this link for a pipeline job from *your* first example-Atomic Fiction:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
https://ca.linkedin.com/jobs/view/152240426
Qualifications Include

A good understanding of the VFX or feature Animation production pipeline.
Excellent knowledge of Python.
Strong understanding of Linux.***********ta-da!
Excellent knowledge of one or more of the following software: Maya, Katana, Houdini or Nuke.
Experience with distributed version control such as Git.
Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
Ability to adapt and work in a fast-pace environment.
Ability to prioritize production needs and tasks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not saying Linux is the meaning of life. I use windows at home. But Linux is trending in new pipelines today. So if your software doesn't support it than you will only get a couple of odd sales per VFX studio if you are lucky. Nothing if you are not. Hell Fumefx runs great on maya (linux) now-that was my sole reason for wanting Max (5 years ago). The large VFX & Animation site license deals will go to Maya, Nuke and Houdini. So my argument is VFX pipelines is an industry/area both Lightwave and Max are trending away from. Some suggest this is by design as far as Autodesk/Max are concerned. For LightWave its an avenue closed if they are indeed struggling to find and keep users.

Last edited by circusboy : 08 August 2016 at 10:08 PM.

08 August 2016

Quote: For LightWave its an avenue closed if they are indeed struggling to find and keep users.

for major use in huge VFX companies, i'll agree that LW has quite some way to go.

still great for other fields though. (broadcast, tv shows, commercials, archviz, print, etc,)

LightWave is not gonna kick Maya out the door any time soon, and it doesn't need to.

Last edited by erikals : 08 August 2016 at 09:02 PM.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: From Rob Powers head of the LW group at Newtek

"My intention is to forumulate a more formal communication on this but I had surgery last Thursday and have needed a few days for recovering (all is well) and I did not want to wait to get the message out so I figured I'd start with these direct posts to directly answer these individual concerns."

So that explains a bit of what is going on.

Very sorry to read that, I mean, about the surgery.

08 August 2016
Honestly, I feel like Blender is seeing more use than Lightwave in actual productions these days, if you consider all aspects of 3d development and business opportunity, like 3d printing, etc. Houdini is also making headway, and it's worth learning that if you have interest in the visual FX industry now too. LW is still being used, although it is a very narrow and sparse market if you are looking to land a job with a studio in gaming, FX, or even design or ach/viz.

reply share thread