Is Lightwave dead?-EDIT Nope- New Release

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2016
Is LightWave Dead? I donít think soÖ

I got started with LightWave when it first hit the PC in the 90ís and there was doom and gloom talk about LightWave at the time. ActuallyÖ the entire time I used LightWave (20+ years) there were talks that it was a dead software. People either hadnít heard of LIghtWave or were surprised it was still around and had users.

So the talks of LightWave being dead are pretty much an ongoing thing. Itís always been the read-headed step child of the industryÖ Iíve never known it to be anything else.

All that said...I donít think LightWave will ever die. NewTek has a single owner and makes millions on their video products. They arenít dependent on LightWave sales like they once were.

There was a time that LightWave had features and workflows that set it apart from the other apps giving it an edge for small studios and individual artistsÖ.LightWave once dominated Broadcast VFX and Print. The LightWave user base was strong and growing like wildfire...those days are long gone and I personally donít see LightWave making a comeback. The CG landscape has evolved and that window closed years ago.

What makes LightWave a valid tool for 3D production today are the same tools that made it unique 15+ years ago... problem is, those tools/features are no longer unique to LW. Look at the recent updates to Blendshapes in Maya for example.

That saidÖ LightWave will continue to have a userbase and new features and updates will trickle out. So LightWave isnít dead though that question has been asked for over 20 years and will probably be a topic of discussion for years to come.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by WilliamVaughan: Is LightWave Dead? I donít think soÖ

All that said...I donít think LightWave will ever die. NewTek has a single owner and makes millions on their video products. They arenít dependent on LightWave sales like they once were.

You've just described 'dead-weight'. The product/developers most likely to be dropped if NewTek ever needs to restructure.

08 August 2016
 
Quote: What makes LightWave a valid tool for 3D production today are the same tools that made it unique 15+ years ago... problem is, those tools/features are no longer unique to LW. Look at the recent updates to Blendshapes in Maya for example.

it took Maya time to finally do something about Blendshapes. 20 years.

Quote: features are no longer unique to LW.

one could look at it the other way around also, what's so unique about Maya these days?
-fluids? not really
-hard bodies dynamics? not really
-soft bodies dynamics? nope
-it's modeling tools?

today the Maya functions i longed for is available in LightWave, at a fraction of the price.
and with the new Mesh engine importing huge scenes, making big VFX scenes for movies will be quite doable. The new Render engine also looks promising.

to me LightWave does not have to prove itself any longer, it's rising.

LightWave is still one of the best Value for Money Freelancer Tools imo.

 

Last edited by erikals : 08 August 2016 at 06:37 PM.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by erikals:  

it took Maya time to finally do something about Blendshapes. 20 years.

 

I was always shocked that other apps didnt copy the LW workflow for blendshapes/morphs... Was very happy to see the new workflow in MAYA... so much easier to setup and manage.

It's interesting to look back on how many "firsts" LightWave had back in the day... It was a fun time to be a LW user.

08 August 2016

--edited the previous post--

Quote: I was always shocked that other apps didnt copy the LW workflow for blendshapes/morphs...

totally, when i mentioned this to the Maya community way back the reply was "we have no use for it"

animatable UVs was also impossible in an efficient way, one had to move vertex by vertex.
not sure if they finally fixed that.

though sure, there are many features i'd like to see copied from Maya/Modo.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by erikals:  

one could look at it the other way around also, what's so unique about Maya these days?
-fluids? not really
-hard bodies dynamics? not really
-soft bodies dynamics? nope
-it's modeling tools?

 

Maya is a giant script. Which makes it extremely flexible to build a pipeline around-customed out the ying-yang. Almost every other app out there is more closed off and inflexible.
For complex pipelines they are too stand-alone and 'black-box-like' to be a *core app*. For the little guy no biggy. But for large studios -the 'spot light productions'- maya is the defacto *core app*.

But also. Maya got its talons in many years ago. Many production studios are built around it. Nobody has come up with anything-*SO GOOD* maya gets dumbed. Everything else is just doing the same thing only different so its just too much trouble to switch now. So everyone else has to scavenge a user base from the leftovers.

Last edited by circusboy : 08 August 2016 at 06:50 PM.

08 August 2016
I got Lightwave in my toolbox and I think learning a new 3d software every once in a while is not too bad. What's important it's to learn a workflow. Your software is just a tool, isn't it all pushing polygons ?
Lightwave for 3d modelling is very good !.
I'm also digging more an more in Zbrush Qmesh modeller. I think that with the combo Lightwave/Zbrush you can model almost anything.

My toolbox include C4D, Lightwave, Zbrush, Substance Designer, an old Photoshop, Clipart studio, Kryta, Mischevious, Blender, Topogun (soooo wonderful I still find its retopo skills unbeatable), Meshlab (for remeshing and quick opening)
I wanted also to give a try to Houdini (but I don't like that you cannot buy it in the indie version. I would prefer to page 300$ but for like for the indie version) and also Modo, even if for academic version again you just can rent the software and not buy it (I really find it too bad).

and just for sake of clarity

XSI was just wonderful ! (the relaxing feature was just great way better than max)

I'm not a fan of rental software but at work we use also Maya and sometime Max.
G

08 August 2016

08 August 2016
Ok I laughed...
It is not fair, but God it is funny.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

08 August 2016
it is ok to laugh, it is Monty Python.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by imashination: The...... the one with the awful cgi?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=2&t=1388681

lol. That thought popped into my head as well.

To be fair, its ultimately the user and art directors who get us to the final 'look'. Im pretty sure Lightwave was used for the CG in Star Trek: Insurrection, and while that movie was not so great, the CG shots still look quite good.

08 August 2016
Just because you probably won't ever see LW used in many big budget Hollywood movies doesn't mean its not being used in all sorts of other things like : TV series, print work, design, architecture, advertising/marketing, geology and scientific work. Our company has 7 licenses of LW and we use it in our design and marketing departments everyday. As a matter of fact I just completed a project with it that consisted of more than 55 rendering hours.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by Snosrap: .... with it that consisted of more than 55 rendering hours.

you mean per machine, or overall? because, just to put that number into perspective, 55 hours overall are basically just 30-60 frames in any usual Arnold production (in HD, not 4K+).

hey, nobody said you can't do nice work with LW... there are many good examples out there (the nazi space movie of which I can't remember the name right now... space zeppelins), that it's possible to create amazing images with it. But would you recommend starting with it if you plan to work in VFX, commercials or archviz?

--stephan

portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
Vimeo - vimeo.com/deroesi

game project - moldgame.wordpress.com

WIPs - theremoteguy.tumblr.com

08 August 2016

Quote: But would you recommend starting with it if you plan to work in VFX, commercials or archviz?
Absolutely!

the problem at the moment is >
- Maya VFX productions will never switch, they are Comfortable where they are.
- Way too few LightWave users around to show what LightWave is Actually Easily capable of.
- Basically no studios use LightWave, so learning LightWave isn't exactly the smartest shot if you want a job at >
http://www.artofvfx.com/vfx-studios

if you are a Freelancer... >
then i would Totally recommend LightWave for VFX, Commercials, ArchViz.
however i would Not have said this 3 years ago.

08 August 2016
Originally Posted by derOesi: you mean per machine, or overall? because, just to put that number into perspective, 55 hours overall are basically just 30-60 frames in any usual Arnold production (in HD, not 4K+).

Yep it was 27 new product shots that were queued up on three machines over the course of 3 nights. Image size was 3000 x 3000 and averaged just over 2 hrs per shot.

reply share thread