Pursuing a Career In VFX Was The Worst Decision i Ever Made

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

06 June 2016
OP keep your head up and keep aiming towards your goal no matter what. You may have to take something unrelated to keep the bills paid but keep at your goal.

Years ago I posted my work in a forum and it got some likes but most of it was "your doing this and that wrong and your not good enough". I felt down and discouraged after reading all of that. An hour later I got 3 emails from companies who were watching in the background and they wanted to talk to me. I ended up taking one of the jobs. Not saying don't take advice from others (I love critiques and I'm always looking for ways to improve) but the hiring managers have the last say so not anyone in the forums. Don't get me wrong others in the industry can help guide you and prepare you for what's needed, but again the hiring manager has the last laugh. You may not have the best portfolio but they may see potential. Pick a top VFX portfolio and try to match that as close as your can as other have already suggested.

Oh and for those who are scared to post their work because you think you will be given the "your no good enough" treatment, post it anyway you never know who is watching in the background.

06 June 2016
Originally Posted by GT3D45: but the hiring managers have the last say so not anyone in the forums.

This is actually what I spend half my time doing, i'm interviewing 3 people alter this afternoon. OP decided that my advice was just intended to insult, because I said he needed to get his head down and improve the quality of work, and then laughed at his terrible attitude.

I also wrote out a post with some advice which guaranteed a well paid job in a few months that went by completely ignored. Probably because it required actually doing some work instead of fishing for pats on the back and the easy way out.

Last edited by cubiclegangster : 06 June 2016 at 03:43 PM.

06 June 2016
Indeed, I have some influence in hiring from time to time myself. Assuming that everyone replying here is just a random nobody with zero influence in any studios is a mistake; as is assuming that every studio uses "hiring managers" to make the final call on a hire, when it's far more likely to be a supervisor and occasionally project leads, the likes of which certainly do read, if not also participate, on forums like this. Hiring blacklists do exist; insulting people and acting like a dick is a pretty quick route into them.

06 June 2016
RIP Ben Hinman's career. Though, can you kill that which never truly existed?

06 June 2016
Even if he gets a job he will have a hard time dealing with the team and clients... getting the job is just the beginning.

Originally Posted by cubiclegangster: This is actually what I spend half my time doing, i'm interviewing 3 people alter this afternoon. OP decided that my advice was just intended to insult, because I said he needed to get his head down and improve the quality of work, and then laughed at his terrible attitude.

I also wrote out a post with some advice which guaranteed a well paid job in a few months that went by completely ignored. Probably because it required actually doing some work instead of fishing for pats on the back and the easy way out.

Last edited by vlad74 : 06 June 2016 at 05:17 PM.

06 June 2016
Originally Posted by leigh: Indeed, I have some influence in hiring from time to time myself. Assuming that everyone replying here is just a random nobody with zero influence in any studios is a mistake; as is assuming that every studio uses "hiring managers" to make the final call on a hire, when it's far more likely to be a supervisor and occasionally project leads, the likes of which certainly do read, if not also participate, on forums like this. Hiring blacklists do exist; insulting people and acting like a dick is a pretty quick route into them.

How hard is it to at least do a little bit of research on this forum into those individuals the OP decided to lash out at? A good indication that he is tad lazy and ignorant.

His posted work is actually quite substandard and hardly at a level where anyone who knows better would encourage him to continue on in this field.

06 June 2016
Well, I think you already had tons of good advice, some of it from notorious and valuable members of CGTalk throughout the years... come on, you have less than 2 dozens of posts, others have thousands... maybe you should listen to them! After all, you express yourself very well and have some pretty good writing skills, so you certainly are a smart person... how could you not notice Leigh is around for more than 14 years and has tens of thousand posts?! Certainly would have some experience and it would be wise to listen to someone that survived in this industry for so long!

OK, I'm just writing to add something I think no one mentioned yet: freelance sites. I know the competition is harsh and the pay is not very good. After all you will have to compete with the Eastern freelancers and most of them work for peanuts in comparison with the Western financial needs. So, even if the pay is low (and can be as low as $5 per hour or even less) sometimes there are some good projects. So you could approch this in the following manner: since you need to work on your portfolio (and sometimes it's hard to get ideas to work on), you could browse through those freelance 3D/image processing jobs and choose something that you find it would be really cool to work on. The make some good work, not only good enough for your client but good enough to that you would be proud to put it on your portfolio. Meanwhile, you would get some money out of it. Not much, as like I said the competition form India, Malasia, China, Russia etc is really fierce and hard to beat.

Some years ago the best sites were ELance and Guru. Probably things have changed, so you have to look around (I just noticed ELance is https://www.upwork.com now). Give them a try and see how it goes.

06 June 2016
Originally Posted by Tama: I'd say that your last line of advice is probably the area that requires the most immediate attention.
With his attitude, he will have a difficult time finding employment anywhere. Sounds like he's been living in a sheltered bubble around like minded "precious snowflake" millennials and doesn't know what it is like to be around adults etc. Pretty prevalent these days though, not uncommon.

Oh man, I hate that so much (being a Millennial myself), but you're so right.

Ben, you should apologize, this makes you look really really bad. I sympathize, totally. I never broke into the industry because I didn't have the guts to uproot myself and throw myself into another state. I applaud you for your effort, and I sympathize with you on your school debt, but there's no need to respond this way to people who want to help.

Their advice is really really good. It's honestly the best I've ever seen here. At least in a while. It's highly concentrated, and right to the point, which I imagine might be painful, but also highly valuable. I've been here a while, and followed these people. They know their stuff! You should be thankful.

There's no need for you now to read that incredibly long thread about breaking into the industry. All you need is right here, and TBH, this should inspire, not drive you to lash out.

You can still salvage this. Just apologize and take part in the community. These are cool people.

Originally Posted by leigh: Indeed, I have some influence in hiring from time to time myself. Assuming that everyone replying here is just a random nobody with zero influence in any studios is a mistake; as is assuming that every studio uses "hiring managers" to make the final call on a hire, when it's far more likely to be a supervisor and occasionally project leads, the likes of which certainly do read, if not also participate, on forums like this. Hiring blacklists do exist; insulting people and acting like a dick is a pretty quick route into them.

Leigh, you're in a book (maybe more than one). If I recall, it's one specifically about getting a job in the industry, and you offer some good advice (I think it was specifically about reel labeling). I can't recall the book off hand, but if Ben respects this sort of thing like he did for his teacher he should be feeling pretty bad about it now.

06 June 2016
Originally Posted by leigh: But it'd probably be better to consider my posts as coming, not from a cave, but from the perspective of someone with 16 years of VFX experience in numerous studios across three different continents. I know the industry, and I know what it takes to break into it.

The OP should really use imdb more often.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1952975/

Note: Above URL for clarification only.

06 June 2016
Originally Posted by imashination: RIP Ben Hinman's career. Though, can you kill that which never truly existed?

What is dead may never die.

06 June 2016
Flightspace, the advice you said you took vs. the stuff you choose to ignore doesn't make a lot of sense. If you just want a website then here, https://www.freelancer.com/. I have hired freelancers from here as have my clients. I personally haven't gotten work here but I never pressed it that hard. Looks easy though.

I can understand wanting it spelled out, as in Step 1, step 2, step 3 but that does not discount what so many have offered to you. People with vast amounts of experience both technical and life. Apologizing would not be a bad idea but give yourself a few days to cool off. I also understand that you are feeling desperate at this point but trust me, things could be a lot worse.

Seems you should be able to find minimum wage work regardless. Do you have any work experience not related to 3DCG? Use only that when applying because you probably are being looked over for less qualified people.

Originally Posted by Tama: I'd say that your last line of advice is probably the area that requires the most immediate attention.
With his attitude, he will have a difficult time finding employment anywhere. Sounds like he's been living in a sheltered bubble around like minded "precious snowflake" millennials and doesn't know what it is like to be around adults etc. Pretty prevalent these days though, not uncommon.

I was getting that vibe throughout this entire conversation but hard to be sure. I've recently had to deal with my own self absorbed entitled brat. (Not saying this is you Flight) One of my younger relatives is for all intents and purposes a homeless street urchin. So I took her in, for a year no less. The lack of gratitude was staggering. She treated my entire family with disdain and somehow looked down on us from her lofty gutter. Sorry, I don't care how special everyone has told you you are, hit the bricks.

Originally Posted by Leigh: I am not a he.

Nothing I've said is even remotely malicious.

Lol, I have to laugh Leigh. Considering how late you came to the conversation and considering the OP obviously doesn't know you from anyone else you still got called out as the troll. You are just a lightning rod.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

06 June 2016
@ Leigh, I would suggest legally changing your first name, to avoid further confusion. I dont know, maybe Tammy...

06 June 2016
That is the reason.

Originally Posted by flightspace: Ok hear this asshole. Thinking i'm good enough for at least an entry level job at minimum wage is not an inflated opinion of myself. Thats just self respect. I never claimed to be the best or mindblowingly amazing. But you can damn well bet i'm good enough. So you can take YOUR negative attitude and shove it because i have done absolutely everything within my power to make a liveable wage in this industry. I would not turn down a job as a runner, getting coffee for pissy little fucks like you as long as it paid. I'd even pretend to respect you. But the fact that you think having any sense of self worth at all, or faith in my abilities is arrogant--go fuck yourself 1000 times over.

Wow, the way you answered to someone who is trying to help you tells a lot about your attitude and the real reason why you couldn't get a job.
BTW if you want to pay bills, get a day time job and grow your online presence and portfolio at night. That way people will start to recognize you and you will increase your probabilities to get a job where you want.
You're welcome.

06 June 2016
Originally Posted by GT3D45: OP keep your head up and keep aiming towards your goal no matter what. You may have to take something unrelated to keep the bills paid but keep at your goal.

Years ago I posted my work in a forum and it got some likes but most of it was "your doing this and that wrong and your not good enough". I felt down and discouraged after reading all of that. An hour later I got 3 emails from companies who were watching in the background and they wanted to talk to me. I ended up taking one of the jobs. Not saying don't take advice from others (I love critiques and I'm always looking for ways to improve) but the hiring managers have the last say so not anyone in the forums. Don't get me wrong others in the industry can help guide you and prepare you for what's needed, but again the hiring manager has the last laugh. You may not have the best portfolio but they may see potential. Pick a top VFX portfolio and try to match that as close as your can as other have already suggested.

Oh and for those who are scared to post their work because you think you will be given the "your no good enough" treatment, post it anyway you never know who is watching in the background.

well that is pretty standard forum fare. you can go anywhere to any forum on any topic, and people will tell you you're not good enough. if people are hyper critical of me, they're only as critical of me as i am of myself. and if they're harsher than i could ever be to myself--well then i know they're full of shit and its probably more about them. still i'd be lying if i said it didn't get to me from time to time, or make me doubt... because i doubt all the time, with or without them. i don't think i could ever be sure of my abilities without at least first doubting them because those doubts need to be tested, and if theres something to them, they need to be improved upon. i don't think its arrogant to have confidence in myself, or to think that i'm deserving of an entry level job, because you can damn well be sure i'm willing to fight for it. but when its totally futile, when it doesn't matter whether i fight, or give up, when someone makes buying a gun to rob them easier than working for a fair wage... it really makes me question everything about this. not just myself, the way the industry is structured, the popular dogma and perspectives and how i fit into all of this. I can't bear to be a part of an industry that doesn't want me. Even if there was some small portion of it some tiny corner of the industry that does, thats good enough for me. But if there is i really hope it would speak up. I feel like i devoted my life to this for nothing. I want to move to the forest, shut myself off from society and make art that no one will ever see. I feel like thats better than this.

reply share thread